3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best method to remove old feather from woodies  (Read 1739 times)

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
Best method to remove old feather from woodies
« on: March 06, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »
I want to refletch these 3 dozen Cedars. I dont want to damage the shafts. What your method of taking off old feathers from woodies?

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best method to remove old feather from woodies
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
Take your time and don't use a super sharp knife. I use a full pocket knife when removing feathers from arrows. You have to go slow or you'll ruin the arrow. Not really an easy process. For me anyway.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 09:30:00 AM »
Best way I've found is to just build another set.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 10:09:00 AM »
Im not going to scrap 3 dozen full length "32" never used (never tapered) cedars just because its difficult to refletch. Im looking for solutions not discouragement.

Offline Dendy Cromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 10:17:00 AM »
I use fresh razor blades and just take my time. Don't get in a rush or you'll make a mess. There's a great article on refinishing old arrows in the last issue of TBM.
Southern Zone Rep./Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia

Prov: 3, 5-6

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 10:30:00 AM »
Once you get them off Ron, I would go with tape, as it makes replacement next time easier.

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »
Its the getting off of the old feathers that Im hoping somebody has an earth shattering easy and fool proof method. I dont look forward to removing 108 feathers with a razor knife but so far, thats what Im faced with before I can refletch.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 10:54:00 AM »
No foolproof way to do it Ron.  I run a knife blade under the feather, often times leaving a little bit of quill.  Then I take a file or piece of sanding paper on a stick and file off the rest of the quill and glue.

Need to be careful with the knife as it's easy to cut into the wood and begin lifting a sliver.  That pretty much ruins the shaft.

Regardless, even if you refletch over the same quill areas with the same type clamp and spiral or offset, there will be some bare spots on either side of the quill that won't look too good.

I've never tried one of those bent arm tools designed for removing feathers.  Looks like they would work well on carbon or aluminum, but not so good on woodies.  Maybe someone has tried one on woodies and can report on it.

Another way to go at it is to tape off the crown dip area and after you've cut away most of the quill, take some Zip Strip or similar product to the crown area.  It will remove everything and you can recrown dip and fletch.    Of course, it's messy and will also soften/ruin the nocks. But on old arrows, they should probably be replaced anyway.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 01:14:00 PM »
Yes I have a few of those tools that have the bent arm as Orion talked about. I've tried them on wood but I think I ruined to many. I wouldn't recommend one because it's hard to get the exact right angle and if you hit a sliver your screwed.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 02:40:00 PM »
I used "Aircraft Stripper" to strip the whole shaft. The gel stuff that is environmentally correct would not faze the automotive enamel used. It's messy, need heavy rubber gloves and a bunch of old rags. Same way I did aluminum before as well.
When the shafts are dry agian a light sanding with 220 grit sand paper and ready to go.
Remember, 40 years ago we used a lot of automotive paints and Fletch Laq lacquer on our arrows. On woods we used the auto paints so Ducco was our glue choice.
 I get the Aircraft Stripper at auto paint store. Big box home stores used to have it as well unless your in CA.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 02:44:00 PM »
While we are trying things.  Take something that is curved, like the blade from one of those tools they spoke of above or a slice from  piece of tubing.  File the front so there is no edge and slides across the wood nicely.  

Now from the inside of the curve, file or grind an edge just in the middle, maybe 3/16" wide. Leave the rest flat or better..rounded.  Maybe mark the upper part with marker to guide you in use.

By grinding it up, it appears that it would be just above the wood, but still take off most of the feather.  At least, it sure seems like it to me.

Make a really nifty handle to hold it better and there ya go.

Offline rkelly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 03:57:00 PM »
If you used duco, that will soften with hot tap water.
Then remove feather with a dull knife.
Have to let that dry before you can refletch.

Offline Pat Ct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 04:09:00 PM »
I have used a potato pealer with great success. Have used it on wood, carbon and aluminum and never had a problem.  I just place the blade under the frond lip of the feather's quill and drag it towards the arrow-nock.  Just repeat until it's gone and on to the next fletch.  It isn't an instant solution but I've never nicked any shaft material this way.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 06:34:00 PM »
I take an exacto knife with a fresh blade and run it along each side cutting through the glue. Then starts at the point end and lift back toward the nock.
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online kstout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »
I use lacquer thinner to soften the glue.

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 08:39:00 PM »
I have a very DULL pocket knife in my bow box that I use exclusively to remove fletching. It can be done, take your time.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 10:34:00 PM »
Somebody posted they dipped/soaked shafts in acetone.  The feathers were reusable according to the poster. Cresting came off and after drying he steel wooled the shaft, crowned and fletched.  I have not tried it, so...if you test a shaft, let us know.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline yaderehey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 08:59:00 AM »
I can tell you acetone works great on aluminum arrows.  I needed to remove plastic vanes from a bunch of aluminum arrows I picked up.  Manually removing with a blade always left a lot of shiny scars on the shaft and traces of plastic.  I started soaking them in a big jar of acetone.  It takes a little time but it will lift off the fletch and remove all traces of fletching glue and leave the shaft looking pristine.  However, it will also completely soften a plastic nock and melt plastic vanes.  That didn't bother me as I just replaced the nocks and refletched with feathers.
Never tried it with wood arrows.  I can see where a feather would probably hold up to this treatment and be reusable when dry.  Also need to be aware that soaking in acetone will remove/destroy any finish on that portion of a wood arrow.

Offline Pat Ct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 09:02:00 AM »
I have used MEK instead of acetone. It's harsher but much faster. If you have a plastic Nock on the arrow it will dissolve into nothing and you'll have to re taper and glue the Nock back on. Same for any type of finish, cresting or marks on the shaft. Acetone will produce the same results, only takes longer. I much prefer to strip them with the tater pealer...

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 02:07:00 PM »
Use a utility knife, and get a package of the carpet blades.  They are about like the gut hook on a hunting knife and do a very nice job as long as you don't get too aggressive.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©