3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood arrow cresting  (Read 1839 times)

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood arrow cresting
« on: March 06, 2017, 01:46:00 PM »
For those of you who cap-dip or crest your woodies...what can you recommend as cresting paints?
There are so many brands, types and prices that my head is swimming. I am totally new to arrow cresting so any advice is most welcome!
I had heard from some that for small areas and detailed lines Testor's model paints work very well for very little investment, but I'm unsure if they are compatible with other manufacturer's cap dip paints. While all manufacturer's products seem to be compatible within the product line (e.g. Bohning) they are way more expensive and buying half a dozen colors looks like it could run nearly as much as a dozen fletched arrows. Not trying to "cheap out" here, but want to be as economically prudent as possible as I'm only building arrows for my own shooting and enjoyment. Thanks in advance!
Aim small,miss small

Offline SC Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood arrow cresting
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 02:44:00 PM »
Kirk,
I don't dip mine but spray them with an airbrush and water-based airbrush paint. I then crest with Testor's enamel and dip clear with Minwax polycrylic and fletch with Duco.
I have no problems with interaction, you just have to make sure each step is completely dry before you go on to the next.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Pope & Young General Member
NRA Life Member

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 02:56:00 PM »
Last woodies I made I used Krylon spray on white.I crested with Acrylic paints (Testors) I bought at Michaels. Easy clean up as water based. I let them set overnight and brushed on a coat of waterbased Polycrillic clear. I got a kit with about 10 bottles for about $10.

Offline Surewood Steve

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 02:56:00 PM »
Right on with SC Bowhunter, my crown dip is with Rustoleum 2X spray paint, lots of colors.  The water base poly from minwax is the trick.  Steve
"If you don't shoot wood arrows out of your Trad bow it is like taking your split bamboo fly rod and fishing with worms and a bobber."

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 02:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by SC Bowhunter:
....water-based airbrush paint.
Thanks! Any particular brand you prefer?
Aim small,miss small

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 03:14:00 PM »
I don't use spray paint because it's messy and I like the look of lacquer paints. I use bohning lacquers for a dip and cresting and sometimes a use testor model paint. Then I finish with a water based poly before I fletch. Just make sure if you stain at all you don't do it where you will dip because it will bleed through.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by crazynate:
...Just make sure if you stain at all you don't do it where you will dip because it will bleed through.
How to you transition from stain to crested area? Even if you mask the stain will creep under the tape line, right?
Aim small,miss small

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 03:52:00 PM »
The small section of stain that creeps will be under the crest.
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 03:53:00 PM »
I cap with Krylon spray paint, crest with testors enamel, and protect all that with water based poly. Fletch with Duco. Simple, fast and fun.

"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 03:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by TRAP:
The small section of stain that creeps will be under the crest.
So you crest before staining then? I'm new to this cresting thing.
Aim small,miss small

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 04:10:00 PM »
Stain up to where the cap begins, cap/dip, crest, seal

The stain will creep a little above that line where the cap and stain meet, but the cap and then the crest will usually cover that small creep

Offline SC Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 04:33:00 PM »
Kirk,
I don't have a favorite water-based airbrush paint brand, just get the ready to spray stuff so you don't have to mess with thinning.
I get mine at Hobby Lobby.
I will say that this method creates a more transparent coating letting the wood grain show thru.
I prefer that over a thick opaque color.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Pope & Young General Member
NRA Life Member

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 05:14:00 PM »
I cap with Krylon Fusion and crest with Whispering Wind water based paint, Model Magic Acrylic water based, Testors, Odds N' Ends enamel.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 07:52:00 PM »
One thing I might add...I intend to do this in the house, in my basement shop area. Strong fumes in the winter with a closed-up house will make Her Royal Highness irritable and very likely affect my ability to enjoy myself. (Happy wife, happy life. The inverse is also true) I've seen a bunch of water-based paints out there but never used any.
Thanks much for the relies so far!
Aim small,miss small

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
Use white for an under coat and your colors will be brighter.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 10:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by The Whittler:
Use white for an under coat and your colors will be brighter.
X2

I do everything except spray paint inside. The odor was the main reason I got away from Bohning Laquers.

Offline Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 08:52:00 AM »
I tape off cap and spray with Krylon. I crest the cap.   When dry, I stain up to the cap with sponge brush and wipe excess so no need to re-tape for staining. I prefer Whispering Wind Pro cresting paint (8 colors, brushes and arrow dry sticks includes)  I dip in water based Min Wax poly after cresting.  Bohning Platinum for fletching.

Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©