3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tusker broadheads  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Tusker broadheads
« on: March 06, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »
Anyone have any experience with these heads? I'm looking to get some to replace my grizzly single bevel heads as a more affordable set up.

Offline Fun4all

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tusker broadheads
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 06:17:00 PM »
Have you thought about not killing so many critters?? I have found through my research that if I don't shoot many critters I don't need many broadheads, LOL!!

I do like buying broadheads though, so now if the critters would just read the game plan!

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 06:39:00 PM »
I shot the Tuskers Concordes and really liked them. Excellent penetration
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »
Personally I would stick with the grizzlies.  The Tuskers come really rough.  You will need to grind a bevel and spend a decent amount of time doing it.  Also I had better luck aligning the screw in adapters in the Grizzlies.  Unless you have a lot of free time stick with the Grizzlies.  Worth the extra money!
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 07:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by shedhunta:
Personally I would stick with the grizzlies.  The Tuskers come really rough.  You will need to grind a bevel and spend a decent amount of time doing it.  Also I had better luck aligning the screw in adapters in the Grizzlies.  Unless you have a lot of free time stick with the Grizzlies.  Worth the extra money!
Yikes! I thought the Grizzlies came rough. Have have to spend about 15 minutes per head just to get them ground down which stinks. If the Tuskers are worse that would be a deal
Breaker

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 08:04:00 PM »
Shedhunta is spot on.  I tried a few Tuskers and quickly wore out a new file and my patience.  After my experience with them it made me really appreciate Zwickey Eskimos.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 09:19:00 PM »
Its well worth the extra money to get Abowyer or Tuff head/Meat heads, or Cutthroats. Saves a ton of work sharpening and aligning.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 09:24:00 PM »
I had some too.  A lot of work.  You would take less time knaping flint.

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 10:05:00 PM »
I have both Tuskers and Grizzlies a couple different styles and weighs of both and honestly they both sharpen about the same way. I personally contacted both suppliers and got their own sharpening tips.

I have had good luck with both, the Tuskers seem to hold an edge a little better over the Grizzlies but not enough to be a game changer. To me it boils down to cost and availability as they are both great head's!
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 10:16:00 PM »
A couple yrs ago Kme used to presharpen these heads for Braveheart Archery. I still have 6 of those heads.

Last yr I ran a test on fresh, still wet, cow shoulder blades. I shot many of the top brands of broadheads through those big cow blades. I had heads break, edges roll over, bend, you name it, many heads failed. However, I was unable to harm the Tusker Concorde, it was one of the best heads tested.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 03:59:00 PM »
People sure are after the easy way.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 07:47:00 PM »
Take it for what it is worth.  When I was in Australia, we had a buff skull that was in camp mounted to a tree and used for target practice to test broadheads. Both compounds and trad bows were used.  The broadhead that consistantly broke on impact were Tuskers.  No, nothing was penetrating through that tough skull, and it probably would never matter in normal hunting situation, but just providing information.  Those belonged to other people, as I brought tuffheads with me.  I have some of the tuskers in my broadhead cases.  They were tough to sharpen, and with that I would expect them to hold an edge well, but can't say that they seem to stay sharp better than the grizzlies or other heads that I have stored.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 06:55:00 AM »
based on my personal expereince with tuskers is I was having a hard time getting a sharp edge the steel is tough!  but when I came home with a brand new file they sharpened right up,,,, now not saying other people have dull files but i think mine was a little too dull for the tusker steel because that same file sharpens my griz, ma1's and stos heads fine but those are really touch up jobs.

Tuskers seem to me that yeah they are a pain at first but they stay sharp along time and they are tough, with due respect to PDK because I'm shooting at local critters that don't really dull many heads anyway.  

I like a challenge and I like having a bunch of different broadheads around so will always have tuskers around.
"Us vs Them"

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 07:01:00 PM »
Hard to beat a Grizzly. I do like the single bevel zwicky no mercy though. RC

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 08:07:00 PM »
I guess my expectations aren't as high as some, I have been sharpening, my broadheads for (let's just say many years) and I didn't think either heads were that hard to sharpen.
  The Tuskers Were the Aztec double bevel, and Grizzly single bevel both got hair popping sharp with a little effort maybe 10 minutes per head.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 10:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by pdk25:
Take it for what it is worth.  When I was in Australia, we had a buff skull that was in camp mounted to a tree and used for target practice to test broadheads. Both compounds and trad bows were used.  The broadhead that consistantly broke on impact were Tuskers.  No, nothing was penetrating through that tough skull, and it probably would never matter in normal hunting situation, but just providing information.  Those belonged to other people, as I brought tuffheads with me.  I have some of the tuskers in my broadhead cases.  They were tough to sharpen, and with that I would expect them to hold an edge well, but can't say that they seem to stay sharp better than the grizzlies or other heads that I have stored.
I noticed the same thing at 265fps. If you hit a rock or something hard like that, they break at the welds.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 06:52:00 AM »
I also like the Zwickey single bevel no mercy heads. I have had great luck with them on cedar arrows.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 10:04:00 AM »
I've been bowhunting almost 40 tears now. Then, broadhead sharpening was part of the whole experience. Seems like now opening a package, for most, has taken it's place. It's really pretty sad.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Butch Speer:
I've been bowhunting almost 40 tears now. Then, broadhead sharpening was part of the whole experience. Seems like now opening a package, for most, has taken it's place. It's really pretty sad.
For me the little bit of money saved on tuskers vs grizzlies is not worth my time.  In this day and age of both parents working and raising children I have to do what I have to do to save time.  If I do not save time then I have to give up hobbies.   Sad maybe? But it is my reality for now.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 11:52:00 AM »
I don't want to bash anything.  I was just giving my experiences.  I still have some tuskers, but they don't do any better than the other heads I have.  Everyone has different levels of time, ability and patience for sharpening broadheads. Nobody in their right mind would by them without a bevel already ground, so I see no need to disparage those who don't like the extra effort to do the initial sharpening of Tuskers or other heads.  I can tell you that when I was doing it I had some tendonitis in my fingers that really acted up from the extra pressure and effort needed.  I also think it is great to be able to open a package and have them ready or nearly ready to go regarding sharpness, like the cutthroats, but it is useless if you can't resharpen them later when they need it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©