3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: rotator cuff  (Read 1068 times)

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
rotator cuff
« on: March 06, 2017, 06:32:00 PM »
I have seen threads on here before about shoulder problems and rotator cuff issues.  I just had an MRI and found out I have a substantial tear and several partial tears in my right rotator cuff.  I have an appt. to see an orthopedic doctor, not sure if I will need surgery "hoping not" but not holding my breath.  If necessary I was just wondering how long I could expect to out of commission for.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: rotator cuff
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 07:29:00 PM »
I had rotator cuff tear surgery back when I was playing baseball in my younger years. I could swing a bat at 6 months and start throwing at about 8 months. It does take a long time to heal up after a repair, but if you are patient things will be OK.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Bill from NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 07:51:00 PM »
Everyone heals at a different rate depending on the damage done and amount of surgical repair performed.
If you do elect to have surgery, please follow your doctor and/or Physical Therapist directions to the letter.
Do not try to rush things.
Everything will return in due time.
I cannot stress enough to you. Follow doctor instructions to the letter.
Do not rush any progress made.
You will not want to have to repeat the surgery a second time.
Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 08:05:00 PM »
I was not allowed to pull a bow for 6 months after surgery. My rotator cuff was torn completely off. They ran a screw into the bone and sewed it back to that.

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 08:17:00 PM »
I had rotator cuff surgery in Feb. 2016. I had a 80% rotator cuff tear and a slap lumbar repair. I was not able to use my arm for 6 weeks. I followed the doctors orders and did the required therapy. I was able to go on a spring bear hunt in late May 2016.  When I started shooting in preparation for my hunt , I started out with a 40# recurve and was able to shoot my 56# recurve for my hunt. I just took it slow at first and only just drew the lighter bow for a few days before I started shooting. My strenght came back quicker than I thought. Just follow your doctors orders and do the therapy and you will be fine. Be patient and don't rush it , your body will tell you how to progress.

Offline Terry Johnston

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 08:42:00 PM »
I had a labrum repair last year which is comparable to a cuff tear in recovery from what i have been told. I was allowed to start light weight shooting after 4 months. Thats about the best I think you will be able to hope for. above all follow doctors advise and do your PT and recovery will be much quicker. good luck..

Offline kleine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 08:52:00 PM »
I wish you luck Jason on getting it fixed up!
I haven't had a rotator cuff problem yet and don't want one.
But hopefully you get fixed and heal quickly!
Striker Fastback 58" 50#@28"
Bear T/D - A 56" 47#@28"
Holm-Made Shrike 64" 49#@28”
Holm-Made River Runner Static 58” 48#@28”
BW PL III 47#@28" 64"
BW PCH CARBON 45#@28" 58"

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 09:39:00 PM »
Don't know the answer, but hope you get it fixed up quickly!

Bisch

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 09:49:00 PM »
I know someone who had rotator cuff surgery, and his Dr told him how long he had to lay off using the shoulder.  One day, some months later, his neighbor came over and ask him to help her do something.  It didn't seem like a big deal, so he did it.  He tore his rotator cuff again and had to start all over again.  I would imagine that would be discouraging, so don't be too proud to tell people you can't help them, even though you would like to.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »
Know several people who done it. 6 months is pretty standard but 8 months or a year isnt out of the question. Every instance can be different depending on exact tear location and severity. Good luck, hope yours is an easier one.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 11:05:00 PM »
I went through rehab before a tear. One of the first signs, was soreness when raising my elbow to my shoulder height. I also noticed a popping sound from the shoulder. It was caused by thinning of the muscles and a slight impingement. The therapist put me on an exercise program to strengthen the muscles that make up the RC. It took five months.

I understand it is a common sports injury so I continue to do the exercises using a set of stretch bands in different thickness/resistance, ($15.00) and a half dozen exercises.  A good therapist can tell if your at risk by feeling the muscles in the back of the shoulder.

Shooting a bow does not build up the muscle as one might think. Neither does manual labor, or other sports.  

Good luck with your surgery and therapy.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Even

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 11:18:00 PM »
The hard part with the little muscles that make up the rotator cuff, is getting blood into them.  They are hard little buggers to work properly, and it takes a fairly specialized set of exercises, in odd positions, to work them. They are easy to overload.

Light, light work, lots of repetitions with the exercises recommended by a good physiotherapist can really speed up the process.  Regular shoulder muscle work, really does very little for the rotator cuff.  The big muscles get all the work, and it can sometimes cause further issues.

Pay attention to the recommended routine for rehab, get lots of blood pumping through them so they heal and rebuild, and you will be golden.

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, I've probably put this off longer than I should have, I keep telling myself I'm still a youngster, but as I sit here I'm looking at 50 years old in the horizon.  I am by no means saying I'm getting old, because 50 doesn't feel any older than 40.  I keep thinking the worst and hoping for the best.  Just want to be ready to go by bow season this fall.  The only thing that is going to really hurt me, is that I have Northern Mist Ramer on order and wont be able to shoot it when it's done if I have to have surgery.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »
Good luck and be careful with it.  Impatience , from my experience with two friends having had rotator cup surgery, seems to be a major stumbling block in the healing process.
 One of them got in a hurry and he'l never be right. The other, he ain't never been right but he needs a mental adjustment.    :smileystooges:  

Best to you.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 08:01:00 PM »
Don't waste any time. Get it fixed !!
Follow Dr. & therapist's orders, and get serious about PT at home. Both during the mending process and after. I spent 6+ years being stubborn and regret waiting so long. Returned to light-duty work in 5 weeks, 100% in 4 months. Keep in mind I was doing home PT 2-3 times daily after release to light-duty. You know your body best,  Don't Push It !!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 10:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hud:
I went through rehab before a tear. One of the first signs, was soreness when raising my elbow to my shoulder height. I also noticed a popping sound from the shoulder. It was caused by thinning of the muscles and a slight impingement. The therapist put me on an exercise program to strengthen the muscles that make up the RC. It took five months.

I understand it is a common sports injury so I continue to do the exercises using a set of stretch bands in different thickness/resistance, ($15.00) and a half dozen exercises.  A good therapist can tell if your at risk by feeling the muscles in the back of the shoulder.

Shooting a bow does not build up the muscle as one might think. Neither does manual labor, or other sports.  

Good luck with your surgery and therapy.
Thank you for this post.  At my age of 72, archery is about the only physical activity I still do for the pure enjoyment of it.  If that were taken away, I would be down to my rowing machine and walking, so I would like to preserve archery in my life for as long as possible.  For that reason, I made an appointment with a physical therapist on Monday to get some preventative exercises to keep my rotator cuffs as healthy as possible.  Haven't had any problems yet, and I'd like to keep it that way.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 12:49:00 PM »
I had rotator cuff surgery a month ago.  I learned that not all RC repairs are the same.  So individuals will have differing recovery experiences.

Before surgery I had heard so many tales from others about pain and complications. So I was bracing for the worst. Even though my RC surgery was fairly complex (three muscles severed and other damage), I have not had this terrible experience. I credit two things for this:  1) used an ice machine that costs about $140 which I used for several hours a day and slept with it at night to keep the pain and swelling down, and 2) slept in a recliner.  I was off pain meds in two days, driving and hiking in 5 and back to work in 10.  I have been out of the sling for a week now.  

Still, I am not scheduled to start even light lifting exercises for another 3 months. All range of motion exercises until that time. Consequently I cancelled my scheduled fall hunts because even if I could build my strength back up for pulling a 55# bow in 8 week time, did not feel that I could get enough practice in.

Like others said, I am trying to be patient and following the regimen provided by medical professionals.   Cannot rush the healing of muscles and especially the slower healing tendons.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 12:56:00 PM »
same boat here, Labrum tear and fractures to my shoulder socket, getting a CT scan tomorrow for closer look at the fractures. going CRAZY here as its all paper work and waiting due to Workmans Comp and all the red tape. original injury was last month on the 13 it has taken this long to get where I am at and still need another scan, very frustrating.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Terry Johnston

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 09:31:00 PM »
Stickbenders, If you do need surgery and it sounds like you might, dont put it off. At your age if you get it done now, you will probably be ready by fall. I faced the exact same issue last year with my labrum tear.

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 04:06:00 PM »
Terry, not putting it off if I need it, probably have put it off too long now. Want to have it fixed up and be ready to go this fall, but I'm not going to push it.  I have a couple bows in the 38#-40# range so when I get the ok to be able to shoot I can start out light...might even have to borrow my daughters 30#er.  I really appreciate all the info, and input from everyone, thank you all!

Jason

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©