3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Max hunting distance  (Read 2068 times)

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Max hunting distance
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 05:26:00 AM »
I have only killed deer with a traditional bow and my shots have been 15 and under but like everyone else if the shot feels right and I'm confident about it I wouldn't hesitate to shoot out to 20. Am gonna try to kill a turkey with my bow this year and I hope that shot if presented will be 10 or under.
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 07:17:00 AM »
My effective range is 20 and under.  I've promised to increase it every off-season to 30, but haven't followed through...yet.

Out of my 46 years of bowhunting I've hunted with recurves 13 of those years (returned in 2010).  I've taken two shots past 20 yards.  One was in 1971. I missed the small buck.  The other was 2010 (21 yards) I killed the doe.

For most of the areas (east) that I hunt 20 yards is more than enough.  I read a survey once that in the east, even rifle hunter's kill deer on average less than 50 yards.  Compounds around 17 and recurves/longbows 14.  I imagine one would add 5-8 yards to those bow figures in the west.

I want to be extremely confident at my point on which is about 32 yards but I doubt very much, on deer-size kill-zones, I'd shoot past 18-22.   I prove what is possible for me on my home range. I don't believe I'll shoot better in the field.

I missed my closest shot ever at 8 yards this past season.  I'd killed three deer standing in the exact same spot before. The shot is steep but close. I

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 07:23:00 AM »
I'd  shoot 20 yards but most deer would kill are under 15. I rarely ever shoot one at 20 yards.

Online 8upbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 07:52:00 AM »
My max is 20 yards but I try to setup for a 15 yard shot.
8upbowhunter
>>>————>

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 07:53:00 AM »
20 with good conditions.
SWA Spyder

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 09:06:00 AM »
Where I've been hunting twenty is the farthest I've shot. Ten yards is pretty normal.

Love flinging them at 40+ yards while practicing, though!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »
25yd held that distance w/a wheel bow too. I practice out to 40 and 50 just for fun. I dont think I have ever made a hunting shot past 15???? in my area we are so thick by the time you get a shot they are under you.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2017, 10:35:00 AM »
I never think about MAX DISTANCE as it "depends"....I try to get as close as possible to the animal...5 yds, 10 yds, 12 yds, 15 yds.  Depends on animal, its demeanor, how I have been shooting lately and my confidence level, wind, etc.

My choice is 8-12 yds for avg shots...farthest I know I have shot is 18 yds...but never measure them or think about it.  I get to my hunting spot and look around and pick items that appear to be in my "comfort range" and then I dont even think about shooting outside of that circle.

Sometimes depending on angle animal is giving me I still wont shoot inside that comfort range.  

I prefer to challenge to HOW CLOSE CAN I GET rather than the alternative of how far.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Online Josh H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2017, 11:23:00 AM »
At this point in my short traditional career, 20 is all I want or need. I practice 4-5 days a week at that distance and feel pretty good about the shot.

We will see when the lights come on. I'm hoping for 15 or less.

Josh

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
I would say out to 25 yards for me but it all depends how I'm shooting and how I feel about the shot.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »
I start really thinking hard before I shoot at around 25 yards and don't shoot more the 30ish unless it's a second arrow which seems almost to be involuntary.
Honestly though I don't think in terms of yardage anymore. It's all focus, muscle memory, animal body language, and shot confidence that play into the scenario

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2017, 01:07:00 PM »
For me it's all about the situation.  I've  passed  shots at 15 yds and taken and made shots at 35.

Don't limit your practice to a set distance.  I've  seen guys practice at 18 yds and blow up shooting 20.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2017, 01:16:00 PM »
My personal max is 25 but I am limiting shots to 20 or under.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2017, 01:25:00 PM »
15yds. That being said, my longest kill has been 14yds. and my closest 5yds. All from treestand on my own property. Play the wind and learn to move slowly and at the right time and this can be the norm.

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »
It is a feel thing for me as well, but , I don't think I've ever shot much beyond 25 yds.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2017, 03:00:00 PM »
As a ground only hunter for deer. I try to set up for a 20 to 25 shot.   I prefer to be shooting past the initial 's' curve of my arrow.  I think deer can hear my eye balls blink when they are real close.  Once I reached between two trees and touched a little 6 pointer, the little bugger almost broke my arm when it jumped, that is too close.   If I was to use the guarantee to hit the heart lungs  rule on small game, I would have to have the pheasant or rabbit in my one hand and a knife in the other and I would still miss it 50 percent of the time.    I shot a pheasant that was way over my 58 yard point,  the shot went from looking good to two feet off and then right on, when the pheasant decided to catch my arrow.    This year I took a long shot at a running rabbit.  It stopped when I released, I would have missed it by a wide margin, a deflection almost gave me a head shot.    We can do all kinds of things to make it a guaranteed deal,  but this is traditional archery, the human element and a host of variables throw out most of the guarantees.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »
There are far better hunters than I who set their max distance at 20 yards for elk.  I don't have that much experience hunting with a bow so I'll stick with their limits for now.  For deer, I need to be within 20.  For turkey, I may take a 20 but would feel much better within 15.  

I practice out to 35 enough to know my probability of a good kill shot is less than 60% at that range and even then, my arrows are slow, my target is still, I am calm and the ground is flat.  But from 0-20, I feel that I can own that space with a lot of confidence.  Anything further and I need to just let it walk.  If I can't get closer, I'll concede defeat.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2017, 04:43:00 PM »
2,000 miles right now, but Alaska is high on my list

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2017, 04:56:00 PM »
20 yards max, but 15 feels alot better for me.
Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2017, 05:05:00 PM »
How do you guys determine what distance your game is from you in a hunting situation? I know that for me personally that 20 yards in dense woodlands feels like 40 yards in an open field. I never know the yardage of anything until I pace it off.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©