3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ASL's: Back Set or String Follow?  (Read 6726 times)

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ASL's: Back Set or String Follow?
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 01:41:00 PM »
For me it's a reverse riser with a touch of back set.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 02:55:00 PM »
Mont, I kinda figured that.  I could imagine that an elk rib could make a difference.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 04:37:00 PM »
I have straight and string follow bows and find the string follow to be a tad more comfortable. The straight seems to be a tiny bit faster but not significantly so. I haven't owned one with back set, but I don't believe there is enough variance to make much real difference, so I would simply go with whichever individual bow feels best in my hand.
Sam

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 04:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
I have straight and string follow bows and find the string follow to be a tad more comfortable. The straight seems to be a tiny bit faster but not significantly so. I haven't owned one with back set, but I don't believe there is enough variance to make much real difference, so I would simply go with whichever individual bow feels best in my hand.
Same here. Like them both.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
The challenge is if you are custom ordering one.  You'd have to know someone with a similar bow, from the same bowyer, which you could try.

Best wishes,
Frank
- Hill Big 5 ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"
- Hill Halfbreed ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"

- Cabela's Warden 62" recurves:
-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Proverbs 16:3
"Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established."

Online evgb127

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 06:16:00 PM »
Who makes a good string follow? I'd like to try one out.
-EVG

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by evgb127:
Who makes a good string follow? I'd like to try one out. [/QUOTE

Northern Mist, JD Berry. Or Newwood makes a stringfollow that's a real nice bow that most guys don't know about.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 07:17:00 PM »
Hey Evan, all my Hill style longbows are backset and i love shooting them. I don't own a string follow but have shot a few. If you come to the Pennsylvania Longbow Assoc traditional shoot April 1&2 at West Caln i can give you some more info and you can shoot any of my Hill style bows...Gary

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »
Who makes a good string follow? I'd like to try one out.
If you have the tools for it I'd head over to your local lumber store and get a 1X2 or 1X3 piece of red oak or maple board and make a simple flat bow with tapered limbs.

Might cost you a mere $8 or less.

It's not as difficult as it may seem (only took me three try's to get a bow that will group within 10 yards and cast a 450 grain arrow about 100 paces.....it's a slug but shootable at very close distances.)

It has 2" of string follow on either limb and it's hard to believe that an $8 piece of red oak is the smoothest drawing and quietest bow that I have shot to date.

If you have a decent farriers rasp (all you really need with a lumber board) you can find out how a string follow bow feels within 1 week if you take your time with it.

I always encourage other archers to make their own bows now because there's nothing more satisfying than shooting a bow you made with your own hands from all natural materials.

Selfbow's will take a natural string follow unless overbuilt or if the wood you are working on has a lot of reverse set before you even begin working on it.

Best of luck and have fun.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 08:49:00 AM »
You can also build a much better bamboo backed bow easily for very little cost. I build mine so they come out with string follow, there a pleasure to shoot and hunt with.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2017, 02:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by K.S.TRAPPER:
You can also build a much better bamboo backed bow easily for very little cost. I build mine so they come out with an inch of SF, there a pleasure to shoot and hunt with.

Tracy
Not trying to start an argument with you Tracy but a bamboo backed bow is going to be a whole nother beast to make compared to using a single "stave" of wood since it's a laminated bow and since bamboo is very finicky.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2017, 03:15:00 PM »
Single stave of hickory backed with bamboo! I have no problems building them out of staves and have not found bamboo to be finicky like you say. It's very easy to work with easy to get and cheap to bye.

Another!

Another!

Ipe board bow backed with boo!

I'm sure I could dig up plenty more picks. Don't worry I know what your saying I've built plenty of selfbows, just got tired of there performance exspeacially oak. Oak is as slow of wood and weak as you can make a board bow. It's just easy to bye, hickory will make you a better bow almost evertime. IMHO

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2017, 04:14:00 PM »
Years back I built one pig nut hickory out of a very straight grained piece.  This bow has been through a lot, my last change to it was to shorten and and retiller it.  I am curious what would be different or better if it had bamboo backing.  I am thinking about reducing  the poundage some.  My snow blower starter died and I lit up both shoulders rope pulling the beast.  That upward jerk is not a good direction for the shoulders.   The 'pignut' has been a very good bow, that is why it is the only one I have.

Online evgb127

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2017, 05:52:00 PM »
Wow Tracy, you make a great looking bow.  Sadly, I lack the tools, time, and competence to ever build my own bow.  I've only shot glass bows, but sometime I will try a boo bow.
-EVG

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 09:14:00 AM »
I've got a 55# Northern Mist Shelton string follow and a 57# Howard Hill Tembo with backset. Really don't see a difference in performance to the naked eye, however a huge difference in shooting pleasure. I'm a string follow fan. Have also owned a JD Berry Northstar and John Schultz 'Natural' laminated all bamboo.  Both of which were string follow.  Both well behaved in the hand. The 66" Shelton is just a beautiful shooting bow in a manageable longbow length.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2017, 09:54:00 AM »
I have turned from preferring the back-set ASL bows to string follows.  I am a huge fan of JD Berry Archery bows and while both the string follow and back-set models are quiet and smooth, I have just come to love the feel of the string follow.  I have been shooting the JD Berry Heritage which is a string follow and it is just amazingly smooth.  In terms of performance I actually feel that you lose very little with the string follow.  Mine all have a great deal of power and deliver a very fast arrow out to distances far beyond what are considered normal hunting distances.
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Online evgb127

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2017, 09:39:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the responses.  I just ordered a string-follow Howard Hill Tembo.  I can't wait to try it out.
-EVG

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2017, 11:40:00 AM »
Thanks for the responses everyone.  Part of the reason why I asked is because at a shoot recently someone mentioned that Howard Hill preferred to shoot bows with a little string follow. I'm not sure if that is true but it got me thinking.
true
pg. 86 "Hunting The Hard Way" by Howard Hill
"A straight-end longbow that follows the string slightly, with good cast, carries a heavy string, is pleasing to draw, and is comfortable in the hand, can be shot much more accurately under hunting conditions than a sensitive bow.

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2017, 12:04:00 PM »
Congrats on your purchase and I'll vote string follow as well.  For me they're just nicer to shoot.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »
I have both straight and string follow. I find the string follow to be very smooth and I shoot them just a bit more accurately.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©