3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ASL's: Back Set or String Follow?  (Read 6728 times)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: ASL's: Back Set or String Follow?
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2023, 07:22:33 PM »
I changed my mind.  I said in a post on the first page that I preferred back set ASLs because they're faster.  True, they are a tad faster than straight or string follow bows, but string follow bows have a draw force curve that tends to fit me better.  They start out softer and build weight faster toward the end of the draw, almost feeling like they stack a little.  However, before the heavy lifting starts, my body is in better alignment to handle it. String follow bows are also gentler on the bow hand at release, i.e., less hand shock.

We're not talking big differences here, but the more I shoot string follow ASLs, the more I like them.   

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2023, 08:59:10 PM »
It's all personal and it's all good.

I'll take string follow any day for it's typical shot-to-shot stability.  As with back set or string follow, it's the rest of the design and build that will matter as much.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online evgb127

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2023, 10:04:46 PM »
Since I started this thread about six years ago, I’ve tried all sorts of different bows. For me, it all comes down to the tillering and bowyer.  A Northern Mist American, which has a considerable amount of backset, will feel much more stable and shoot circles around some other bowyers’ string follow offerings.  That said, all things the same, I’m in the stringfollow camp for the reasons stated above.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 10:19:18 PM by evgb127 »
-EVG

Offline Hill Style

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2024, 12:26:48 PM »
I’m shootings backset San Marco now but have owned several string follow bows. It depends on the design and bowyer imo as to how much difference it makes.
A guy on another forum chronograph a few of his ASL bows. A Northern Mist American with 2” of back set and a couple pounds  heavier was only 3 fps faster than a string follow JD Berry longbow of lesser draw weight. Proof to me a string follow bow doesn’t necessarily have to be slower than a backset bow. If those two bows were the exact same draw weight the string follow would be faster.
Hold long hold wrong

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2024, 12:34:23 PM »
Hmmmm .... how can a longbow that has back or belly set be called an ASL?

Offline Hill Style

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2024, 01:40:03 PM »
Hmmmm .... how can a longbow that has back or belly set be called an ASL?

American semi longbow (ASL)
The name doesn’t have anything to do with the limb profile it was built to.
Straight,backset,string follow are all ASLs. Howard Hill coined the phrase and he built them string follow and backset some with a lot of backset.
Hold long hold wrong

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2024, 01:44:32 PM »
From myth earlier post.  "When Hill offered the term semi-longbow, he did it in comparison to the English longbow, which, in fact, was quite a bit longer.  Not uncommon for them to be 72 or more inches long. 

"BTW, the D-shape referred to the cross section of an English longbow limb, not the strung profile of the bow, which also happened to be D shaped.  The American Semi-longbow limb has a flatter, rectangular cross section, but does string up into a D shape profile."

According to Hill, an ASL's limbs were long (but not as long an an English longbow, thus the word semi-long)and rectangular in cross section. He didn't mention back set or string follow in his definition, but most of his early bows were string follow because they were all bamboo laminations and took a set naturally.  I believe he started incorporating back set into his bows with the use of fiberglass which would hold the shape. 

Whether the limbs are back set, straight or string follow, it doesn't change the definition of an ASL.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2024, 02:36:07 PM »
Semantics to a fair degree.  In England, longbows without ovoid bellies are called "flat bows", which is exactly what Hill created.  The prime difference is in the limb cross sections.

Online GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2024, 09:51:03 AM »
I did not realize this was an old thread till I saw I asked a question. The only thing I know for sure is I still love the look of Tracy’s BBO.

Offline Hill Style

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2024, 11:50:56 AM »
For what appears to be a simple design of a bow there is a lot more going on. And even more confusion it seems.
Just like the “D” shape. An English longbow is not “D” shaped in cross section it is nearly round. We know this because there are still real actual English longbows to look at. Howard Hills illustrations in his book show the “D” shape of the cross section of the ASL. Clearly you can see this for yourself.

No where in Hills book did he instruct anyone to make a bow with rectangular cross section. And if you look at any bow built by Howard Hill you see the tapered trapped to the belly,just like he instructs in the book.

Over the many years bowyers have widened and flattened and squared up the edges of “their” bow designs. Same with the round handles and long risers. That is not Hills design. There’s way more to a true Hillstyle bow than a leather grip and pretty limb veneers.

On page 91 of Hunting  the Hard way Hill writes about the 3 distinct types of bows. Straight end longbow, short flat bow and composite recurve. He goes on to say some bows are a bastard design having varying combinations of features of all 3.

When Hill refers to straight end longbow he means just that the ends don’t curve, he’s not talking about the limb profile being backset or string follow.

It pretty obvious when Hill said Semi longbow he was talking about the cross section. The English longbows recovered from the Mary Rose where from 72”-78”
The bow in Hills book illustration of an ASL is 72” long. That’s not much difference in length.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 11:57:44 AM by Hill Style »
Hold long hold wrong

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©