3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 59 Kodiak!!  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Valkyrie

• Trad Bowhunter
59 Kodiak!!
« on: March 10, 2017, 06:45:00 PM »
So I got a gorgeous 59 Kodiak. The new one, not a real 59.  So I took it to the garage at 8yards. The first time shooting it. I was worried that my almost 31" draw would be too much but it seems pretty smooth and not stacking in any way that I notice.

I shoot three under and it's rated 50#. First three shots? All touching. Yeah. Pretty close so easy to do and it ruined two of my arrows. But the bow is fast in the hand. It points easily. It shoots to your point of aim easily. Hard to put it into words but kind of like how a nice 1911 points itself for you. Or how a nice over and under swings on a bird. The bow is just an easy extension of the hand and arm.

It shoots with authority also.  I like it a lot. No range near me so I have to wait until the weekend to wring it out. But I'm impressed.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 59 Kodiak!!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 06:56:00 PM »
I am green with envy! Nice score on a modern classic!
Aim small,miss small

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 06:59:00 PM »
Shot one this week as nice of a bow as I've shot.

Offline Valkyrie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 07:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gator1:
Shot one this week as nice of a bow as I've shot.
I sold a SK 64" Grayling Green to fund this bow and I was sort of skeptical about it. The SK was a really nice bow but I didn't like the big riser and grip. I had been shooting a mint Tigercat and the grip was much more comfortable to me than the SK so I started looking at the 59 and read about it and again was worried about the shorter length and my draw length. But after some folks messaged me that it wouldn't be a problem I got one. So in all I sold a gorgeous vintage Tigercat and Like new SK and I couldn't be happier. Now I have to roll a couple new arrows to replace the ones i just destroyed!  

And. I still have longbow on the brain.  The Wagstaff I ordered should be here in a couple months. I should be pretty busy this spring!

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 10:14:00 PM »
Well damn you just cost me $700 bucks! I have been looking at them since the day they came out. You post made me realize it's time to order one and find out for myself.
I have 2 custom bows on order but sometimes you get tired of waiting.
The 59 should be here Tuesday or Wednesday this week. 55@28 satin finish.
Tedd

Offline Valkyrie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 10:39:00 PM »
[/url] [/IMG]

So here it is. Wanted to get everyone's critique on my stance and form. The bow feels good and the grip indexes in my hand easily. I'm 6'5" and my draw as measured by the wife is 30.75" or very close.

At this draw I really didn't notice it getting to a wall or severely stacking. I think it's draws very well it isn't very loud. Doesn't feel jump in the hand when shooting.  I like it.

Offline Valkyrie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 10:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tedd:
Well damn you just cost me $700 bucks! I have been looking at them since the day they came out. You post made me realize it's time to order one and find out for myself.
Tedd
You know I'm sitting here and looking at it and it has a feel of being vintage. When I was a kid my grandfather and his buddies and my dad and uncles would all get together during the summer and shoot. Nobody in my family hunted archery back then (1970s) but more so they just hung out talked about whatever and shot targets on hay bales and some of the old timers shot Kodiaks of various models and this takes me back. I had this little green kids fiberglass bow with a red handle. The kind where you could shoot right or let handed. I would fling those cheap crimped point arrows at the targets and would get excited if one would even stick.

My dad had a really nice Tamerlane. My brother got it when he died. He was a south paw so neither of us shooting but it sure is nice. My one uncle had an Alaskan. I think he may still have it. And I have my grandfathers Black Hawk Bee. I refinished it. Shoots nice.

Anyway I like this bow a lot. Probably would like a 62" or 64" if it was an option but I'm just used to that, nothing to knock the bow so next weekend I am going to get some arrows through it

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 11:00:00 PM »
Is that a 60" bow? Seems to be handling your draw length pretty well.  Nice symmetric bend in both limbs.  50# @ 28"?  You must be pulling about 57-58#?  You seem very relaxed, able to handle the weight.  Perhaps a little tension in your bow hand.  Kind of hard to tell from this angle.  The shadow your bow hand makes against the wall is a little confusing.  Same with your alignment.  A shot from above and behind would make it easier to look at your string forearm alignment with the arrow.  I'm not sure how your shoulders are lined up.  Maybe have someone hold an arrow across your shoulder blades at full draw and see it it's pointing at the target?  Your stance is fine.  Bottom line is, you are hitting what you're shooting at.  Hard to argue with that.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 11:10:00 PM »
Congrats...those 59's are sweet shooters!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 11:20:00 PM »
Yeah,
I have a 30"+ draw and always thought the 60" 59 would stack. It's the only thing that kept me from buying one. (I have a 66 kodiak that stacks so bad after 28" that I can't even shoot it properly. It's a great bow and I should sell it.)

So looking at your photo I should be ok

Offline Valkyrie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 08:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by KyStickbow:
Congrats...those 59's are sweet shooters!
I'll get a couple more from different angles later today.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tedd:
Tedd
Looking forward to your review. I was really amazed how nice this bow shot.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 12:31:00 PM »
In preparation I made up a string for a 60" bow. 18 strands of bcy-x with .030 Halo to fit classic nocks. (I use glue on classic nocks on carbons and wood so I can switch arrows). The new string is on a  60" "stretcher" bow sitting near the fireplace so it settles in. Wooly Whispers are in place and adjustable nock points tied on.
I'm assuming the string that comes with the new Kodiak is probably a bit overbuilt and probably not the very best string material. I don't know how accurate the marked draw weight will be. I haven't purchased a production bow for a while but I think the have a 2-3 lb variance up and down from the marked weight?
The bow will be about 61# @ 30" and probably fall between .340 and .300 shafts depending on it's center shot.  The stable is a little too full so I plan to sell a 1966 Kodaik and a 2015  Pittsley Predator.

Offline Valkyrie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 04:54:00 PM »
A little more tinkering in the garage. Decided to try out some carbon arrows. Beman ICS Bowhunters 340.  Five in LW shield cut feathers. With full length weight tubes and brass inserts and 145 points. A pretty heavy arrow I had set up for deer out of a #55 Montana I sold off.

They shoot very very well. Bare shaft they show good spine and fletch they impact the same at 8 yards. Have a lot of time to experiment with arrows until the fall. I really want to shoot straight up wood but every time I sling carbons, it just becomes so easy to work with and shoot as an arrow material.

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 10:34:00 PM »
very cool, I hope to own a '59 myself one of these days.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 11:57:00 PM »
Glad its working out for you.I had a few originals and some reproduction 59ers.Currantly shooting a 1960 reproduction Kodiak that's 60 inches.Its similar to the 59er.

One of my original 59ers was a 64 incher  that was in excellent shape.I loved that bow.You would probably really like the 64 incher alot!Maybe you will find one someday to try.They are more rare however.It would fit you very well.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 12:20:00 AM »
I love the new 59s. They shoot very well and look and feel very similar to the originals.

"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Valkyrie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 08:01:00 PM »
I'm very happy so far. Great look and feel. Stuck shooting in the garage but better than not shooting at all.

Offline Valkyrie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 09:32:00 PM »
[/url] [/IMG]

Here's one from the front. And my ugly mug!  Don't think I can get one from the top down.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 11:54:00 PM »
I don't think you're quite coming to full draw.  There seems to be an angle between your drawing forearm and your arrow.  I would imagine that if someone were to put an arrow on your shoulder blades when you are at full draw, it would point to the left of the target.  These two alignment issues are related, and can cause left misses.

In general, you look really solid and relaxed.  If you're happy with your shooting, keep doing what you're doing and don't worry about it.  However, it may be possible to improve your alignment.  One result of that might be an increase in your draw length.  Ordinarily, that would be a good thing, but as you're already pushing the limits of your Bear, this could possibly move you into the stacking range of the force/draw curve.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©