3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nock high and low ...  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Jessebeaux

• Trad Bowhunter
Nock high and low ...
« on: March 12, 2017, 04:00:00 AM »
Very frustrated.... Can't get my 68 56" 47# Bear Grizzly to tune properly... I've tried Axis, GT trads, and Carbon Express heritage and the bow seems to like 500's w 125 grain tip.. however,
2018 Bodnik Slick Stick 60" 45#
2017 Bodnik Slick Stick 58" 45#
2009 Martin Savannah 62" 50#
2015 Samick Sage 62" 40#
1968 Bear Grizzly 56" 50#
Osage Self Bow 66" 45#
2010 PSE Mustang 60" 45#

Offline Jessebeaux

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nock high and low ...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 04:04:00 AM »
I can't get my nocking point set right. The best I've gotten is a 1/2 tear at 1" nocking point!! I've added a tied on nock and tried to micro tune, I've also cycled through different brace heights and nothing seems to fix it... HELP!? Also, I know it's not me or my form because I can pick up my other bows and shoot them perfect on paper but as soon as I go back to the Grizzly it's the same problem..
2015 Samick Sage 62" 40#
Osage Self Bow 66" 45#
2010 PSE Mustang 60" 45#

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 07:04:00 AM »
Wonder if the short length might be causing some sort of problem with pressure on your nock. Just a suggestion as I'm pretty new to tuning myself. Be interesting to hear what some more experienced tuners have to say
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 09:29:00 AM »
Is your elbow too high on the arm that you draw the string with. If your shooting split finger you might be pushing down on the arrow nock.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 09:33:00 AM »
Some people /bows are just cursed with that. I know I am. As long as everything groups together (fletched, bare shafts and broad heads) you're fine. I think sometimes we over think things.

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 09:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by OBXarcher:
Some people /bows are just cursed with that. I know I am. As long as everything groups together (fletched, bare shafts and broad heads) you're fine. I think sometimes we over think things.
X2
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 10:03:00 AM »
Jesse, are you shooting off the shelf? Are you using 3 fletch or 4?

Some will say it doesnt matter, but regardless, ive had clearance issues where a quill/fletching is bouncing off the shelf. If you are using a 3 fletch configuration, turn the nock so your fletching orientation is 12 o'clock (cock), 8 o'clock, and 4 o'clock.

Another possible answer to your problem, is to add a feather arrow rest. Many of them older bows used an add on rest, and the feather rest may just solve your headache very cheaply.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 10:10:00 AM »
Are,you shooting split or 3 under? Just curious.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 10:44:00 AM »
Brace height in my experience has nothing to do with proper nocking point position. What works best for me is to get about 10 feet from a soft target and shoot a bare shaft. I adjust the nock point up or down depending on how the shaft impacts. The goal is to get the shaft parallel to the ground. If the nock in the target is high lower the nock  point, vice versa if it is low. If you can't make this work then I would be wondering if the nock is too tight on the string, you are putting some kind of pressure on the nock at release or worst case scenario, your bow is in correctly tillered. In one rare recent incident I was having fits. It turned out the elevated rest I was using had a failure in the tape and was loose. Some new double sided tape solved the problem.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »
In my experience, nock height can be very sensitive. Usually I have to adjust nock height in 1/32" increments until it is perfect. For example, one high-performance bow that I have finally tuned in perfectly at a nock height of 25/32".

When I tune a bow that is being touchy about nock height I start at something that is likely to be too high, like one inch, and work down slowly in increments that are about one or two wraps of the serving at a time. It works, but it takes a lot of patience.

I also tune and shoot with two nock points - one above and one below the arrow nock.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »
I have bows that shoot nock high no matter what. I think it's my release that does it. I think sometime I tend to jerk a little bit. I didn't notice it until I recorded myself lol n slow motion. I move the bow up just enough to cause the arrows to ramp up a little. My broadheads fly just great so I don't worry to much. But I am going to try smokin joes theory. I like what he said about moving just a tad at a time. Maybe that will help me to.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 01:15:00 PM »
I've never had a problem with nock height with carbons, but I always do with aluminums. Always nock high, no matter what.    :dunno:
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 02:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shadowhnter:

Another possible answer to your problem, is to add a feather arrow rest. Many of them older bows used an add on rest, and the feather rest may just solve your headache very cheaply.
Good point.  My '59 Bear Kodak originally came with a feather arrow rest, and it won't tune right without one.  Well, maybe any rest that elevated he height of the rest to the same height as a feather rest would work, but since a feather rest worked, I wasn't interested in experimenting with anything else.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Jessebeaux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 04:05:00 AM »
To answer a few questions - I am shooting 3 under and I have rotated between Bear hair rest, feather rest, and calf hair all resulting in the same issue.... My plan is to get it as tuned as possible and then attempt broadheads. If it shoots true I will just disregard my OCD and move on. However, I will be sending Bear an invoice for my newly prescribed blood pressure medication! Imperfect tuning bugs me!!!
2015 Samick Sage 62" 40#
Osage Self Bow 66" 45#
2010 PSE Mustang 60" 45#

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 07:03:00 AM »
If it was me I'd shoot broadheads and see what's up. You might already be good to go and not know it.

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 07:44:00 AM »
Are you shooting with 2 nocks on the string, one above and below where the arrow nocks??? I shoot 3 under and always shoot with 2 string nocks. On some strings the arrow nock will move alot down when the arrow is released if there is not a 2nd string nock. If you are not doing this, this will probably cure your problem.

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 07:46:00 AM »
Are you shooting with 2 nocks on the string, one above and below where the arrow nocks??? I shoot 3 under and always shoot with 2 string nocks. On some strings the arrow nock will move alot down when the arrow is released if there is not a 2nd string nock. If you are not doing this, this will probably cure your problem.

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »
I also have a '68 Grizzly #48. I shoot 2016's. Never had much luck with carbons.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 10:48:00 PM »
I could never get a good bullet in paper with my Bob Lee shooting 3 under. Still managed to get my FP and BH to group together. And bare shaft,decent.
Have you tried shooting cock feather in at 3:00 instead of at 9:00?

Offline KevinK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 09:30:00 PM »
You might be over-thinking it as others have said. Remember, it is a primitive sport. I know easier said than done, I am guilty of the same thing. I would recommend to take a break from tuning for a week or so and enjoy shooting that bow. Clear your mind. (works for me if I remember or my wife reminds me) Then try some broadheads. If they are much higher or lower than your field points try tuning through paper again. If it is acceptable then you're done. I have a few bows, most I can get bullet holes through paper, 1 a tad nock high is best I can get and my short 52" bow always shows nock high, maybe because of the extra pinch? I had to let it go and just accept it. If I can get a broadhead where it needs to be, it isn't flying sideways or fishtailing then it's fine.
Life can be complicated. Hunting shouldn't be.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©