3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nock high and low ...  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Jessebeaux

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nock high and low ...
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 03:01:00 AM »
Thanks for tips everyone! I was able to add a lower nock like a few suggested and that tightened me up some and then I just relaxed and shoot some broadheads and they flew true! So I appreciate everyone's help. Glad to be able to just enjoy shooting this classic bow.
2018 Bodnik Slick Stick 60" 45#
2017 Bodnik Slick Stick 58" 45#
2009 Martin Savannah 62" 50#
2015 Samick Sage 62" 40#
1968 Bear Grizzly 56" 50#
Osage Self Bow 66" 45#
2010 PSE Mustang 60" 45#

Offline KevinK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 07:32:00 AM »
Sounds like you're good then! Also, I see you have other bows to shoot. If you ever get hung up with something on one bow, say all of the sudden a setup that was tuned seems out of tune put that bow down for a little while, pick up a different one and enjoy it for a little while. Then go back to the "problem bow". You might find that the issue resolved itself. A lot of this is mental and we can be our own worst enemy sometimes.
Life can be complicated. Hunting shouldn't be.

Offline Jessebeaux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 10:03:00 AM »
Great advice!
2018 Bodnik Slick Stick 60" 45#
2017 Bodnik Slick Stick 58" 45#
2009 Martin Savannah 62" 50#
2015 Samick Sage 62" 40#
1968 Bear Grizzly 56" 50#
Osage Self Bow 66" 45#
2010 PSE Mustang 60" 45#

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by OBXArcher:
"Some people /bows are just cursed with that. I know I am. As long as everything groups together (fletched, bare shafts and broad heads) you're fine. I think sometimes we over think things".

I too ran into a bow this year that, no matter what I did, it would paper tune nock high. The only bow that caused me to lose some hair trying to figure it out. But like OBXArcher says, I found that I still grouped the arrows well and so have let it be.

Offline KevinK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 07:34:00 PM »
FWIW I also have a compound (that I haven't shot since Labor day weekend of 2016). It used to drive me crazy paper tuning. It is a 60 pound bow that shoots a 400 grain arrow just at 280FPS. After a few shots through paper it would always show nock low and I mean seriously low. It was due to residue building up on my drop away rest. At the time I was shooting G5 Montecs and I was dead on out to 30 yards with my field points. Now me listing the speed was not to brag but in my experience (and I am no expert so someone correct me if I'm wrong) the faster the bow the more tuning problems and errors are magnified. At 40 yards I was seriously high with those Montecs. I switched to 2 blade Magnus Stingers and the nock low with a 280fps bow was not a problem. 2 inch groups out to 50, 4 inch at 60 yards. And again the reason I switched to all Trad was the "driving me crazy" part, it's not a rifle, it's a primitive weapon. Get close, both in tuning and your target/quarry and you should be fine.
Life can be complicated. Hunting shouldn't be.

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2017, 09:47:00 PM »
You need to build the shelf up so that your arrow is resting on a single point, similar to how regular arrow rests are.

I used to have the same problem with my recurve.

I now shoot a longbow with a short and narrow shelf and I have no nock high/nock low issues and I don't even use a nocking point.

With the long wide shelves built into most recurves there's too much surface area for your nock to potentially hit and bounce off of so I'd build it up higher and shorter.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©