3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting in the rain?  (Read 623 times)

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting in the rain?
« on: March 12, 2017, 08:46:00 AM »
Was wondering if you do anything different equipment wise when rain is in the mix?  I've always shot wooden bows arrows etc.  But I've been considering some of the alternatives for a rainy day...

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting in the rain?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 09:00:00 AM »
I've never had any problem hunting with wood bows and arrows in the rain. I wouldn't normally go out in the rain because how rain can effect blood trails but if I'm sitting there and it starts to rain I'll sit it out as long as I can. I guess I'm more adversely affected by rain than my hunting gear.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 09:30:00 AM »
Being a public land guy I love the rain! Usually means you have the place to yourself. Plus I think the critters know there's not going to be people in the woods. Just my experience.

As far as equipment or shooting don't change thing.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 10:09:00 AM »
The only thing I do differently on wet days outside of clothing, is I grab my arrows I make with Canada goose fletching for their water repellent abilities.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 10:46:00 AM »
I try not to hunt in the rain, as I just don't like to get wet. As a younger guy, it didn't matter. Rain never bothered wooden arrow shafts at all. Fletching needed to be treated to keep them from becoming flat.

One interesting thing I did notice once had to do with tuning. I was shooting arrows that were marginally tuned that shot well while dry, and a friend was shooting arrows that were bare shaft tuned. When feathers got wet, my arrows flew erratically while his remained very flat shooting. I wish I had arrows with goose feathers as described by Shadowhunter.
Sam

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 11:02:00 AM »
I hunt in a fair amount of rain keeping my shots a little closer than normal.  And like already said you have the place to your self.  I use wild turkey feathers in the rain, but I also have my arrows tuned in the rain ( wet fletches) with broadheads and they fly the same as when dry.  Also use a Aruba felt hat to keep the rain off my neck and glasses.  I normally carry a poncho for sudden downpours and huddle underneath it,  don't find much animal movement in a downpour.  But I like already being out after a downpour especially  during the rut.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »
If your going to hunt in the rain a lot, try plastic vanes and an elevated rest like a bear weather rest. They work great and vanes are quieter.    :archer2:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »
I hunt in the rain quite a bit. I've never done anything special other than try and cover my feathers with something like a glove or hat. All of my clothing is waterproof. I also switched from a two pice to a one piece suit because it keeps wind and rain from getting in where the jacket and pants meet. I've got a plastic rain jacket that's folded up in my pack, but I've never had to use it.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 01:11:00 PM »
If I intentionally go out in a light rain then I use my black bear ward which is set up with a NAP center rest. I have a couple of arrows set up with vanes too.

If I get caught out there in the rain then its a judgement call. I treat my feathers with Camp Dry which helps a little bit. It's mostly the blood trail I would worry about.

I have a light weight rain suit tied to my pack if I'm hunting public woods but I've only needed it once

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 03:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shadowhnter:
The only thing I do differently on wet days outside of clothing, is I grab my arrows I make with Canada goose fletching for their water repellent abilities.
This is what I do too

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 03:55:00 PM »
I love hunting in the rain. I try and keep my feathers covered if possible. I also wear rain gear that is not to noisy. Hunting in the rain especially on state land here in MI can pay off big. Shot my best buck opening day 2010 in a rainstorm.

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Michael Arnette:

This is what I do too [/b]
Is there somewhere that I could buy Canada goose feathers?

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 07:44:00 PM »
I use a fletch cover and use feather waterproofing...no big deal.  I am always ready for the rain....cept maybe no rain gear for myself.

:biglaugh:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 08:13:00 PM »
Mini Cat quiver keeps my fletching dry.

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 09:08:00 PM »
Where I am rain makes for the best hunting.  It is the only time its quiet here.  Otherwise it's toooo crunchy.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 10:18:00 PM »
Great info guys!  I've worried too much about fletching over the years.  I've always used some sort of cover on the bow quiver or a arrow master.  Really didn't want to go to vanes.  I like the light steady sort of rain.  I'm destined to hunt public land and don't want to give up a day!

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 10:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tim in Wa.:

Originally posted by Michael Arnette:

This is what I do too [/b]
Is there somewhere that I could buy Canada goose feathers? [/b]
Not to my knowledge. Being a Federally managed migratory bird, no sale is allowed for wild birds or parts. If someone kept tame ones you could buy those, but I know of none. What I do know, is a few very active goose hunters! I get all I need from their kills and process them myself. You'd also be surprised at how many wing feathers are around city and community lakes just laying there along edges the birds frequent. You can also use snow and whitefront geese feathers, but there are fewer usable ones because of size or lacking stiffness.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©