3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sheep advice  (Read 1060 times)

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
Sheep advice
« on: March 13, 2017, 11:02:00 PM »
Hi all,

Hoping to enlist a little help and advice from the sheep hunters in the group as I've never hunted them. I'm entering this year's Colorado bighorn application with three weighted points. While the odds are obviously not very high, I'm at least at the point where it's worth trying. I'm trying to determine whether to apply for a unit that's got early bow-only tags, or go after a unit that only offers rifle tags (I'd bow hunt it, of course). Are the bow-only tags easier to come by because of fewer applicants? Are there drawbacks to hunting sheep in early August on a bow tag?

For reference, I'm in Fort Collins and was looking at either a bow season hunt in units S12/S78 somewhere between Breckenridge and Buena Vista or trying for a 'general' season license in September in units S1/S18 (the Rawahs and the top of Poudre Canyon). I'm not set on those areas, but they were the early favorites. I know the 12/78 units are likely to be incredibly steep and big, but I'm still young enough (30) and up for the challenge if that's the best course of action.

Thanks for any guidance on the topic of sheep. It's a lifelong dream I hope to someday realize.
FoCoBlackWidow

Online Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sheep advice
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 11:49:00 PM »
All sheep tags are tough to get and pretty tough to fill. Even for a resident you are  really optimistic.  Archery tags will give you more time with less competition usually. I hunted S12 for the entire archery season in 2007, coming close; oh so close. In Colorado I would not choose to hunt the rifle season with my bow. The archery season gives you first shot with no other elk/deer seasons open. I hope I am not coming  off negativity, that month in the high country was the best month of my life.

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 12:22:00 AM »
If I were to drop the cash for a sheep tag I would hunt in the canyons in the far SE of the state.  I know of a few ranches in the area that hold sheep. There is one in particular I think a bow hunter would have a really good chance on, but the ranch has changed hands over the years and I am unsure of their current policy toward hunters.  If you are interested send a PM and I can find their contact info for you.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 06:15:00 AM »
I would join CTBS they put on Compton a yr are so ago and very nice group. Several of the guys I talked to either have sheep are have a Grand Slam with trad bows. Some of them live in the Denver, Boulder area, also one of the Crumms at RHSG has an archery ram don't remember which one..
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 06:19:00 AM »
If you are not already on Rokslide you should start. They have an entire forum dedicated to sheep.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 01:07:00 PM »
I would try to contact Marv Clyncke or Dean Derby. Both traditional Colorado bowhunters with a lot of experience
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »
After looking at the title, I thought the definitive answer is "get velcro mittens".  :-)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 03:43:00 PM »
Goat, you gotta do something about that dyslexia.   :biglaugh:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline bruce

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 03:58:00 PM »
FOCOblackwidow it has been years since I moved from fort fun so cant help you but I have great memories drinking adult beverages on the deck of the Mishawaka inn and watching that big ram that used to hang out across the poudre river. I think he lived a charmed life.
bruce

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 10:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the tips, guys. While I know it's a long shot that I draw anytime in the next five years, I feel like it's worth putting in the application now. I'm in the same boat with moose and goats here but someday the lotto ticket has to pay off, right?

Dnovo, I met Marv when I first moved here at a CTAS banquet and he was a treat to talk to. Perhaps I can dig and find his email in my inbox. Rokslide is a good one I hadn't considered and Bruce, while I've never seen the ram by the Mish, you're not the only one to enjoy a beverage on the deck there!
FoCoBlackWidow

Online DGW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 09:15:00 AM »
If you have 3 points  you have a chance to draw.   It took me almost 25 years to draw a ram Tag. Not sure how much the weighted points help.  Know guys were drawing the same tag I put in for with less weighted points .  Draw a good tag and get all the advice you can. CTAS is great group of guys. Been a lot of sheep and goats taken with trad bows in Co.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 10:16:00 AM »
A friend in  our club drew a sheep tag last season for the rifle season but only hunts with a bow.  He had been putting in for 15 years before he drew.  He was successful on a ram.  He had drawn his first sheep tag fifteen years earlier and was successful then, too, again with his long bow. He is a resident of Colorado.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 10:18:00 AM »
I would pick the time frame/unit for the hunt where you can put the most time in to hunt.  Get the tag first then talk to people. Guys are much more willing to share info if you have the tag than they are if you are competing for the tag.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 07:29:00 PM »
Look at the drawing stats to get ideas on the better odds of drawing.  

I'll confirm that said above about weighted points. I have 14 and have been beat out by guys who had 3!!
Monterey

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 08:03:00 PM »
Julie and I are both going in with 7 this year should be more but just didn't have The funds when I was younger. Same with moose and goat. A big part of it is just being lucky.  I can out you in touch with Wayne Depperschmidt. He's local (Loveland) he was the first person to take all of colorados big 10 with TRAD equipment. And one hell of a nice guy. He's killed a pile of sheep and always glad to help... You know how to reach me..

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 03:25:00 PM »
You should volunteer to assist the biologists with the annual sheep count, starting with your top pick unit and working thru them as you wait to draw the tag.  Spending a weekend with knowledgable sheep biologists counting sheep and learning a unit can really pay off.  I did it the year I drew a ewe tag and was bold enough to request counting with Janet George (I also had a PBS connection with her).  Spending a full day with her in my unit, plus meeting and talking with Marv and the Renfros, who all knew my unit inside and out plus had killed sheep there, made a huge difference for my hunt.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 09:57:00 AM »
Matty, seems like one of us should probably draw one of those limited tags this year, right?  :)  

Jeff, thanks for the great idea on assisting with sheep count. That's a cool idea I've never heard of. The Renfros are certainly knowledgable people as well. I appreciate the advice.
FoCoBlackWidow

Offline Todd Brickel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 01:19:00 PM »
Looks like I may have drawn my Colorado ram tag this year. Time to get in shape and shoot my silvertip daily.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 01:43:00 PM »
Still nothing for me.  Maybe it has to do with an alphabetical order of posting successful applicants?  Not meaning alphabetical draw, but the results posting after the draw.  That would put you up front.

Just part of the mental gyrating on my part while resigning to accept the reality.   :(
Monterey

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2017, 02:21:00 PM »
Todd, did you receive a notice in the mail or are you able to find it via the DOW website somehow? I just see that results should be posted May 3. Anxiously waiting!
FoCoBlackWidow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©