3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snuffers... Gone for good?  (Read 1457 times)

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snuffers... Gone for good?
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 10:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
I'm not sure but it seems to me that today's trad  bowhunters doubt the power of their recurves and longbows. Maybe it's because so many come from the compound world... lots of bad information about trad equipment floating around there.

It's almost as if they expect multiblade heads to bounce off of game. That sure hasn't been my experience.
As I age I've reduced the weight of the bows I shoot and I can tell you penetration is the least of my worries and I love huge 4 blade heads.

As Ryan stated, this has probably contributed to the demise of a fine broadhead. I don't use them, but sure hate to see them go.
Yep!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 10:43:00 AM »
"I think a lot of us are setting up our gear to water buffalo standards just to hunt deer....and are still worried about our setups."

Yep....its obvious over the last few years...and I know why.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 10:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:

Yep....its obvious over the last few years...and I know why.
What's your theory Terry?

Personally I think it was the Ashby testings. (not knocking Mr. Ashby..they were interesting tests for sure)

Many of us figured what was "best" for buffalo must be "best" for other game...SOOOoooo not necessarily true.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 11:23:00 AM »
I use the Kustom King Trailmaker for bows in the mid forty pound range with no problems. These were screwed into carbon arrows with brass inserts, so there was 225 grains up front total. Used these for whitetails and turkeys(those hollow bones and feathers can absorb a lot of arrow) without problems. Three blade heads are super easy to sharpen as well. One good file and a couple of flat diamond stones and you're in business very quickly and deadly sharp.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 01:43:00 PM »
I think I'd just switch to VPA's. Awsome looking 3 blade.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 02:13:00 PM »
I had sold off a bunch of my Snuffers a few years ago. Bought some the other day on the classifieds and happy to have some around again! Picked up some VPA'S 1 1/4" too, can't wait to try them out! Sad to see the Snuffers going away.
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 02:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
I'm not sure but it seems to me that today's trad  bowhunters doubt the power of their recurves and longbows. Maybe it's because so many come from the compound world... lots of bad information about trad equipment floating around there.

It's almost as if they expect multiblade heads to bounce off of game. That sure hasn't been my experience.
As I age I've reduced the weight of the bows I shoot and I can tell you penetration is the least of my worries and I love huge 4 blade heads.

Very true Charlie.. I can think of several guys like that. Well said.

As Ryan stated, this has probably contributed to the demise of a fine broadhead. I don't use them, but sure hate to see them go.
Very well said. I couldn't agree more.

Offline WarDancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2017, 02:32:00 PM »
can someone post a pic of a snuffer

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »
Zradix.....you and Charlie covered it.

Online Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2017, 02:52:00 PM »
Agreed - not sure there are any new designs or re-designs that do anything more effectively than a Snuffer can on 95% of the game we (or I) hunt... Don't get me wrong, I know there are a lot of excellent broadheads out there, but honestly not tons of improvement on proven designs that've been around for a lot of years. I love the looks & durability of the machined-heads, but I honestly have a hard time financing 'em.
Really enjoy the Rothhaar legacy behind the Snuffer too - classics!
Rando

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 02:57:00 PM »
While the average whitetail is oft-times thought of as "big game", compared to elk, moose or the great bears it is more a "medium sized" game. Any decent sharp broadhead-tipped arrow shot from a 40# trad bow is capable of a pass-thru at typical trad yardages (12-20 yards) if bone is not encountered. There has been a lot of misconception spread about by modern archery equipment manufacturers about what is necessary to take a whitetail but let's remember many of those guys are shooting ultralight carbon arrows with expandable points at distances up to 60 yards...this is not the fault of the manufacturers, but rather, the fault of trad shooters trying to apply high-tech logic to trad hunting equipment and distances.
I don't and won't blame Ashby's findings for people not doing their homework on the type of game, equipment and distances they are actually hunting with.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 03:19:00 PM »
Those VPA 1 1/4" 250gr heads look pretty nice! I've been wanting to give the 1.5" big Jim heads a try too just haven't been shooting 300 grains up front for a while

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 04:14:00 PM »
I was very fortunate to pick up 5 of the original 160 grain Rothhaar head a few years ago in the classifieds here.  It's definitely a huge head. They fly great out of my 50# bows.  It's always sad to see a great product fall by the wayside, hopefully someone will pick it up and start making them again.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 08:12:00 PM »
I shot a deer for the first time this past season with a Snuffer and I will admit I was worried about shooting that big head out of a 50 lb recurve. It went through with no problems and left an excellent blood trail. I'm going to have to take care of the 3 I have.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 08:31:00 PM »
I bought a bunch of them off the auction site when they were $24-28 for six. Glad I did.

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2017, 06:19:00 PM »
Deadheads, Ribtek, snuffers, and now I'm hearing rumors about STOS heads fading away! If I'm wrong please correct me! I'm glad I have a few snuffers squirreled away, but its too bad they wont be as easy to find for others to try.  I'm sure the publicity of Ashby's  report haven't helped multi blade heads in recent years. I think all this shows why its important to stock up on heads you like when you can. You never know when they may disappear.  I still kick myself over the arrow I had growing up with a deadhead on it. It was the only one I had and I used to shoot it into a milk jug full of sand to practice hunting groundhogs at my grandparents farm. Last time I saw it it was leaning against the wall in their tractor shed. I had no idea what I had on the to of that arrow!

Online Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 06:51:00 PM »
I am Thrilled that I was able to locate & buy the last 1/2 dozen of the 160 gr. Snuffers that The Footed Shaft had... paid a bit more than I have in the past for 'em, but understandably so! Really hope someone'll resurrect production of these great heads. How come as I age the past keeps disappearing??
Rando

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2017, 01:37:00 PM »
160 Snuffers are my favorite turkey heads. I have around 3 dozen, should last me a while. Got a couple dozen 125's too, just have to change my setup when I run out of 160's I guess, lol

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2017, 02:48:00 PM »
Without going into a lot of detail I have reason to believe Snuffers (and Magnus Classics) will return to production at some point in the future. No idea on when but I think we will see them again.

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2017, 03:35:00 PM »
That is good news.  Hope you are right

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©