3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Time to Plant!  (Read 673 times)

Offline Westkyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Time to Plant!
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 11:32:00 PM »
Hey basinboy I didn't realize you were on here too. I asked you about some swamp chestnut oaks on fb. I'm going to start some sawtooths this fall and also know where a few hidden stands of chestnuts are too so I might try some of them.
 Fletcher I've never heard of sawtooth oaks being a long term disaster. Care to explain or share if you know something we should know? They're not native to the U.S. but tend to grow well in places a lot of trees can't survive. They also start producing acorns in five to six years of age which makes them the youngest mast producing oak tree and when they get some age on them they put out a lot of mast for their size. Those are all pluses for sure! I used to think they're the perfect oak, other than not being American!

Offline Westkyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 11:38:00 PM »
Awe heck fletcher I didn't see the second page or I wouldn't have Posted. Lol

Online Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 09:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Westkyhunter:
Hey basinboy I didn't realize you were on here too. I asked you about some swamp chestnut oaks on fb. I'm going to start some sawtooths this fall and also know where a few hidden stands of chestnuts are too so I might try some of them.
 Fletcher I've never heard of sawtooth oaks being a long term disaster. Care to explain or share if you know something we should know? They're not native to the U.S. but tend to grow well in places a lot of trees can't survive. They also start producing acorns in five to six years of age which makes them the youngest mast producing oak tree and when they get some age on them they put out a lot of mast for their size. Those are all pluses for sure! I used to think they're the perfect oak, other than not being American!
I am still waiting for my friend that has me some swamp chestnuts to meet up so we can swap. I'd be more than happy to send you some of you would like. If you can get some chestnuts I'd like to get a few to plant.
From what I've read on the sawtooth oaks they have shorter life spans and will sprout and take over. But that has to be better than the Chinese Tallow tree that has taken over in my area.
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline Westkyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 12:59:00 PM »
I appreciate the offer but I have a few swamp chestnut oaks I'm gonna plant here at the house and will start some more this fall along with the others. I will send you some chestnuts but like I said it'll be this fall before I can get any and provided they have a good mast this year.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 02:10:00 PM »
Fletcher is right on about sawtooths. They have the potential to become invasive. Westky your discription of them is correct. That is also the same discription as every other invasive plant that we fight. Bush honeysuckle, autumn olive, callery pear and many others are all heavy mast producers, start producing at young ages and easily germinated. They sure have the potential to be a PIA someday.

Offline Westkyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 11:34:00 PM »
That's interesting meathead. I know several areas where the sawtooths have been planted as restoration projects by the state and although they have done pretty well they don't appear to have spread or crowd out any other trees or vegetation. It's something to keep in mind for sure though. Now autumn olives are another thing!! Those things just seem to appear overnight and really take up some space when mature! They do make some great bedding and foraging areas for most wildlife but I could see them taking over a place very very quickly!! Actually they do!! They make perfect natural ground blinds as deer almost always feel safe in and around them. I love the smell of them in spring turkey season. It gets me going as much as the thunderous gobbles sounding off from every nearby ridge!!

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2017, 09:28:00 PM »
There have been some studies in the NE that have shown the plants moving around.  Now they aren't moving near as fast as some others that have wind blown seeds or seeds that get moved around by birds.  They are trees so it may be a long time before any firm conclusions could be made on it's invasiveness.  The states use of these plants doesn't mean to much about it being a good plant.  Autumn olive, bush honeysuckle were planted as wildlife friendly plants by many states.  

Good luck with all of your plantings.  I like to plant a few every year too.  We planted 700 butternut, white and red oak last year.  Now if I can just keep the deer from eating them until they can get up out of their reach.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©