3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Killing vs .........  (Read 771 times)

Online Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
Killing vs .........
« on: March 16, 2017, 08:56:00 AM »
Killing vs .........

So i was pondering today why sometimes when I kill / harvest an animal their is such a big difference in the way I feel. For example there are times my main goal is to just fill the freezer and other times I am looking for a spiritual experience with nature and the way I choose to take the animal.
 I know allot of it all has to do with where my heart is at, at the time. I also struggle with the method even though I know there is no wrong way as long is its not wrong to you. (legal methods of course)
 Example 1. I shot a doe and a 5 or 6 year old 10 point in Iowa this year within 30 min of each other. Was it great? YES! I did it with a long time bowhunting friend I have not seen in 8 years. But it wasn't the same as a solo hunt doing everything your way. The visit was greatly needed and we laughed are butts off in the stand numerous times over the trip! I wouldn't change it for anything  we had a blast with each other.

Example 2. Jan 1 last day of deer season in MI right on dark and I wanted one more deer for the freezer. I had a good sized doe walking down the trail and made a loop around me I shot her and she went 40 yards and piled up. Meet in the freezer YEP but not much of a feeling of satisfaction. Maybe it being almost dark made it allot less intimate, I have noticed that in the past. I now leave stands early (usually LOL) just for that reason. Its great to see that monster buck in the waining minute of legal shooting light but if you shoot I feel like you rob yourself of the allot of the moment. It not wrong but not the same in full daylight when you can see every detail and take in every second with clarity.

Example 3. Three years ago I trained hard all year got my set up down perfect and was shooting great. It was the rut in Northern Michigan and I had a few days of bowhunting set aside. It was Pre-rut and  had a great evening hunt seeing lots of chasing. The next morning I shot a doe she went down in sight with a short 20 yard chip shot.

The next morning I see deer but no shooters and nothing with in shooting range anyway. I dropped my tab out of the tree and couldn't find it when I got down. Oh well I have like 5 more in the truck helps to make my own.

Walking back to the barn wind in my face its just whipping I see antler tines just above the raspberry bushes about 30 yards in the woods!  Its a good buck P&Y all day but NO possible shot what so ever, thick as thick. I remembered passing a deer trail coming out of the raspberry 15 or so yards back so I unsnap my pack and leave it on the ground that I am already practically laying on. I crawl back to the trail and think if he comes this way I will get a shot. If I can pick a hole.

About 5 minutes later here he comes headed my way. I’m frozen not moving a muscle already at full draw when he hits my shooting hole. Of course a mature deer any where but in Michigan to boot have a sixth sense and I just don't look right sitting on the ground to him. Half a step more I might have a better / bigger hole to shoot through but he isn't moving. I had a 67# limbs on my recurve at the time shooting 750 grains of bone crushing mass. Ive now been at full draw for over a minute with bare fingers. Finally I settle in on my little hole and let loose!! The buck crashes through the brush and woods GRUNTING / GROWLING LOUD over and over again like he is enraged with anger he has been out smarted. I am shaking real bad now this is the biggest buck I have ever seen in Michigan in person while hunting and I just pulled a hat trick on him on the ground!

I wait the 3 hours before I go inspect the the shot location but was sure I heard him go down. With the loud wind there was no way to know for sure. He broke my arrow off past the footing about 10" total and I had good blood. I tracked him with good blood to a bed about 100 yards away and then NOTHING! I was broken what could have happened? I backed out again and waited for my pops to show up and we looked till dark and then again in the morning until the rain started pouring down. I told the neighbors about it and 2 weeks later Andy from across the street shot it during gun season on the run chasing a doe. I had shot him through the shoulder and it was already scabbed over! Still don't know how I didn't kill him with the blood and penetration I had. Amazing animals they are tougher then I will ever know or could be. Honestly one of the best hunts of my life.

So what is my goal memories, meat? Depends on the day? I guess I am still trying to figure it all out. Allot has to do with where my heart is, and my stress level is at with work and family. It also plays a huge role if I am alone or with a hunting buddy. There is no easy answer no easy way to figure it out unless you reflect and I guess that is what I am doing here.

I know this I love hunting, my family, friends and God. I think when the magic wears thin we are just walking down the wrong path in life. Do what makes you happy and do it for yourself! Use guide lines and reflect on what brought you the most JOY. More than likely it will again if we repeat the methods and are doing it with the right state of mind and heart.

May you all find peace and fulfillment in the woods this year that can only be found with a relationship with God and a heart in the right place. Don't ever let yourself be put down by the method you choose to hunt. There are always easier ways but the end of the hunt is always better when you choose to do it your way!
-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Killing vs .........
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 09:34:00 AM »
Great post.  Thanks for sharing.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 09:35:00 AM »
Very nice , thanks for sharing .
You are right , there are different hunts and the biggest buck that I ever got was not as fulfilling as the first button buck that I got when I was a kid .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 10:00:00 AM »
Great post!!! Could'nt agree more.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 10:12:00 AM »
Great post!

Offline RON ROMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
  • 406-505-0534
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 10:30:00 AM »
Great post, pictures and stories, Chad. Thanks for sharing with us. I feel much the same as you on these things, and have enjoyed my passion,as you do, for over 45 years. I've told my son since his youth, "be your own man and do your own thing" and he and my grandsons are well on their way in that regard. One proud Grandpa.
Ron Roman

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:     :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 10:49:00 AM »
Yes.  You get it.

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 10:51:00 AM »
Great post...I enjoyed that!    :thumbsup:
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 12:01:00 PM »
Good post ....thanks for sharing the stories.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MIBIGHNTR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 12:43:00 PM »
GREAT post and pics, THANKS for sharing!!

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 01:00:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 04:08:00 PM »
Excellent post Chad

Thank you

Lex
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 05:50:00 PM »
Fantastic read chad really enjoyed it!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Caleb Monroe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 06:44:00 PM »
Well put. The buck I got this year felt different than any I have had before. It was exciting and I'm thankful for the meat and opportunity. It just wasn't a deep emotional experience like it has been times before and that's okay. Thanks for posting this.
Sweka St. Jude Hill Style 70" 50@31"
Wild Horse Creek Condor 64" 55@31"

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »
That right there is the reason I like this site so much.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 08:43:00 PM »
Great post Chad. Thanks for sharing. Jim
Jim

Online Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 08:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gordon Jabben:
That right there is the reason I like this site so much.  Thanks for sharing.
Last night I was sitting by the wood stove thinking about past seasons and I just had to write out my thoughts. I knew with this crew I would be understood. Plus there is nothing like putting yourself out there for criticism or insight from others to break down personal barriers.
-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 08:55:00 PM »
Great post Chad, thanks for sharing it.

Steve Jr
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 09:21:00 PM »
Excellent job of putting those random thoughts and feelings we all experience into words, Chad.
Thanks for sharing.
Aim small,miss small

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©