3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Hunter's Head  (Read 836 times)

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
The Hunter's Head
« on: March 16, 2017, 09:39:00 AM »
A vintage head that is often overlooked, quite reasonably priced, and very effective.

So we are lucky that 3R's brought back this classic head and I thought I would share some thoughts on it.

Currently it is a web only deal and as of right now is only available in 145 grain and no factory grind.  Which suits me fine as I like to put a bit of a single bevel on them.

They are the most reasonably priced 3:1 head and I have found it to be very durable and as you would expect penetration is excellent.

The ferrule allows them to be sharpened much more easily then the original Hill head.  The steel thickness on the 145 grain is excellent though I did find the 125 grain ones fold / bend easier.  They come with a bit of a tanto tip though a little more rounded which helps avoid any folding also.  

This head / spine shot killed a buck my brother shot this past year.

This spine was a buffalo shot by Bill Negley

And of course this picture was from the John Schulz Catalog when he distributed the head:

Anyway, if you are looking for a reasonably priced 3:1 head that will do the job check them out.  Hopefully there is enough interest to keep them in production.  If they go away again, I have a good stash that should last me, but it would be a shame to see them go... again.

I plan to use them for elk this year and I would think they would be an awesome hog head.  

Anyone else have any recent harvests since the head came back out?  please share some pics and stories.    :campfire:

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Hunter's Head
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »
Here is the Grizzly, Hunter's head, and Hill for comparison.

Online ChiefStingingArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 09:50:00 AM »
Two4hooking, How does this head compare to the Hill head?
What are the advantages and Disadvantages of the two?....I had thought about this head but leaning toward the hill head.

I would like to see this in a 160 gr. head.

What was the Grain of the head that Negley used?

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 10:42:00 AM »
The Hill head's ferrule makes sharpening difficult.  With a file I need to knock off a bit of the ferrule to get the angle lower and use the serrated method to really get them where I like them

The Hunter is only offered in 125 and 145 (only 145s now on the web).  You can get them shaving sharp or serrated with just a file.

My torture tests show the hunter head a little tougher than the Hill, as the Hill always seems to break at the pin for me on hard rock hits. The hunter will bend on some hard rock hits but the 145 is really tough. I aint hunting rocks anyway.

Some folks don't like the edge of the weld where the hunter is connected to the ferrule because it is a little raised, but I've never had a problem with penetration.

In short I think they are pretty comparable except in price with a nod to the hunter being easier to sharpen.

I'm not sure what version Negley used there but my guess is it would have been between 138-145 grains.

I would stay clear of the 125's as the blade metal is thinner.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »
I have 6 original Hunter's Heads left and a bunch of the Three Rivers.   They can be sharpened to shaving sharp with basic tools, file and jewel stick plus leather belt,  I have always added the serration.   I wish that was a 160 grain version, most of my arrows need a 160 head to match my bows. The deer that I shot a Hunter's Head through this year went down in sight and the 460 grain cedar arrow got ate by the snow and the switch grass.  They have a sneaky way of disappearing, something that I need to not think about when shooting a deer.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 06:07:00 PM »
I believe Monty Browning used these on the front of his fish arrows down in Australia and put 2 consecutive shots into and coming out the other side of a water buffalo.

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 06:16:00 PM »
A quote, "How does a broadhead that is only an inch wide make a two inch sideways hole going in and a two inch  hole going out?" , my wife after shooting a 120 grain Hunter's Edge through a deer with a 38@26 bow.

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »
IMHO, I think it would be hard to beat the three broadheads in Two4hooking's picture.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the Reply Two4hooking.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 09:12:00 PM »
Was just checking them out and was wondering what the difference is between factory grind and no factory grind?

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 06:40:00 AM »
Just a few less file strokes.  I rework all the angles anyway.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »
Got to get some! Thanks for posting, Greg!

Bought my first longbow from East Side, too!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »
Do the unground have rough bevels or flat edge or??
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 02:06:00 AM »
They are partially beveled with a round edge.  They cannot be ground to be a pure single bevel, but you can lean the edge a bit to favor your fletch rotation.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 09:04:00 AM »
Paven: You can get them up to 160 with a bit of solder. That's what I used to do when I used them.
The best things in life....aren't things!

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »
Well of course, didn't think of solder.  I was considering a lead split shot in the bottom of the ferrule and then cutting the point tapers shorter.  I pack shot into 357 casings all the time, weight adjusting broadheads seems more extreme, I don't know why it would be, when you think about it.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 02:23:00 PM »
Ive been thinking about this head vs. the Hill head and was wondering which head would be better suited for anti wind plane?

Or would they be the same?

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 04:47:00 PM »
The 140 Hill is probably the best in a cross wind, I am not sure how much it would matter.  I don't think either one would take side steps like some larger wind catchers can do a a strong side wind.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 09:36:00 AM »
The Hunter's Head is much easier to sharpen.
The best things in life....aren't things!

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 05:06:00 PM »
I have found that people new to Hills have a much easier time using the Nate Sheen method on the Hills. Personally, I find that I get better blood trails with either Hills or Hunter's Heads when the edge has some grab to it, whether using a serration or the 1/4" round file.  Arteries are not exactly bolted down, and cutting angles matter. It seems that it is not a one method cuts all world.  Perhaps  different metals and different head shapes function differently on fibrous tissue.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©