3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting bike .  (Read 1124 times)

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hunting bike .
« on: March 16, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »

Check this out , I'm thinking about getting one of these bikes .
I have a back problem and can't walk long distance let alone drag a deer very far .
Can get a cart to pull behind as well .
Much cheaper than a quad and I can still pedal as well for a little leg work .
What do you think , anyone had any experience with one of these ?
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting bike .
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 01:03:00 PM »
Looks interesting. There's another one called Quiet Cat. I've seen them a few times on TV, as well as at an outdoor expo.
I mounted a go-cart motor to my bike once when I was younger, but that's about all of the motorized bike experience that I have.

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 02:40:00 PM »
I've seen the Quiet Kat on TV also. Seems like a very good idea for getting into the back country. Not so sure how it would work for pulling out game, though.
Aim small,miss small

Offline MIBIGHNTR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 02:41:00 PM »
Would worry about access here in MI unless using on private ground??

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 03:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by MIBIGHNTR:
Would worry about access here in MI unless using on private ground??
That's what I was thinking too. They're real sticklers about what you drive in the woods around here.

Offline ShrtRnd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 03:49:00 PM »
The other brand Cogburn has been discussed a bit over on Rokslide. Might be worth a look into as an alternative

Cogburn  

Conversely, I've heard of guys buying just "Fat Bikes" (mostly the Surly brand/make) and doing some light mods to suit their needs as the cheapest route.
Robertson Stykbow Peregrine 60" #65@29"
Robertson Stykbow Prairie Falcon 62" #62@29"
Robertson Stybow Mystical 66" #60@28"
Stalker Coyote FXT  RC 62" #53@29"

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 04:08:00 PM »
Good idea if it weren't for that electric assist.  I like the old bumper sticker from BHA: "Use the quads God gave you!"
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline ShrtRnd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 04:10:00 PM »
Sorry, forgot to mention that Felt Bicycles E-Bike "The Outfitter"  has also been discussed. However it is bordering on used ATV status price wise ($5500 US)
Robertson Stykbow Peregrine 60" #65@29"
Robertson Stykbow Prairie Falcon 62" #62@29"
Robertson Stybow Mystical 66" #60@28"
Stalker Coyote FXT  RC 62" #53@29"

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 06:47:00 PM »
I looked at the Rambo bike, but because of the motor, it can't be used in a lot, most of the places I hunt elk...wilderness.
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 06:48:00 PM »
I took one for a short test ride and that electric assist really is amazing. I could see how they would be very useful in the right places.

My concerns though would be how long the batteries will really last before needing replacement.   My experience with rechargeable batteries on things like cordless drills,  etc. is that they are great when new,  but if you use them often they lose their ability to hold a charge very long.  Replacements aren't cheap.

Secondly,  as e-bikes take off,  more states are clamping down on their use on public lands.  There are a lot of places that conventional bikes are OK, but e-bikes are being looked at as motorized vehicles.  As they should be,  IMO.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 06:52:00 PM »
I have a bike....a MT bike...

I don't engauge in MT biking...but its great for getting to and from here to there while huning.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 07:03:00 PM »
i asked a local game warden if i could use my bike on the tractor drives on public land.  He said sure, but then he tried to talk me into accepting a disability pass from him and using a four wheeler.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 08:54:00 PM »
They make those "hunting" fat tire bike and they are a lot of $$$$ you can get those style bikes at Wally World for 200$ ?

Quality difference? Imagine but still, get a good cipustom bow with the money you save!
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline mikolay87

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 10:29:00 PM »
I wanted to get a setup similar but I checked with the DNA and I can't use them on the public hunting grounds around here. The only way to get around here is walking.
All Lefties!!!
60” Big Jim’s Desert Bighorn 37@28
56" Toelke Lynx Recurve 50,46,54@27
60” Primal Tech Recurve 35@28
64" Toelke Lynx Longbow 38,47,51@27
64” Impala supreme 37@28

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 10:46:00 PM »
The signs at the gates for public land in NC clearly say "no motorized vehicles beyond this point". Foot traffic and pedal power are OK.

Pavan,that was pretty nice of the GW to offer the pass. I don't have a 4 wheeler so it would not help me if I got the offer someday!
Member NCBA

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 11:23:00 PM »
I bought a fat tire bike, and found it much better for hunting than my regular mountain bike.  It works really well in the snow, too.  But I'm also a pretty dedicated and experienced mountain biker, which is useful because it can be a pretty good workout.  Even though I'm 45, I can still hack it!

I love biking for exercise, fun, and to just explore, so it fits well with roving, stump shooting, camping, and hunting.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 11:36:00 AM »
Go to MTBR Forum and look under E Fat Bikes there are a good number of much better bicycle manufactures offering Fat Bikes with E option (electric). Trek, Felt, Specialized all offer them. Not cheap but servie/warranty and resale will all be much better than the Rambo brand.

A regular pedal Fat Bike will go places a Mt bike will never go. I use one year round, I can pedal across plowed fields, through the bush and on snow and ice. Traction is fantastic and when using on sand/snow/ice you drop normal tire pressure of 8-12psi down to 4-6psi and away you go. They float as well if river crossing gets deeper than expected.
hunt it

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 11:51:00 AM »
I think that taking a bike into the woods wood be great. I would just be worried about being all sweaty by the time I got there.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 03:05:00 PM »
There are many trails and gated back roads in Colorado that a fat tire bike would be great on, but the power assist style would make them illegal.

Having used a conventional my bike on old logging roads I can see how the fat tires would be an improvement.

In designated wilderness areas even the non assist bikes are illegal.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Duncan:
The signs at the gates for public land in NC clearly say "no motorized vehicles beyond this point". Foot traffic and pedal power are OK.

Pavan,that was pretty nice of the GW to offer the pass. I don't have a 4 wheeler so it would not help me if I got the offer someday!
You can pedal, glad they don't allow motors kinda.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©