3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Twisting my first bow string-ER  (Read 748 times)

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
Twisting my first bow string-ER
« on: March 16, 2017, 02:54:00 PM »
So I have been sitting in a meeting for about 4 hours thinking about the string making materials I have at home. I realize I hate failure and to waste materials. Then I get an idea!
I will be attempting my first string this weekend.  I plan to make it 12 inches or so longer than my longest bow. So when I get done and find out how badly I missed my length, I can attach leather cups to the ends and use it as a stringer. I will have learned, and not failed because I have a useful bow stringer. What do you think?  Also, I will probably post in a week or 2 about having 50 bowstringers for free, just pay postage. LOL.
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Twisting my first bow string-ER
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 02:57:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 03:14:00 PM »
If you need help with string material, serving material, or instructions give me a holler.  It's a lot of fun...and addicting!

Chad

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
When i make strings, I think I must twist a lot tighter than the original destructions in my book call for, so I make them longer and still end up with a string way short.   Sometimes the string is half wore out before I get it right.  I have decided that the Chad strings are a lot easier on my hands,  and it also eliminates a lot of potty mouth coming from my work room.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 05:27:00 PM »
When doing a Flemish twist I was taught to add 18" and then trim off the excess...I probably wasted a lot of material over the years, but have never had a short one.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 06:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Walt Francis:
When doing a Flemish twist I was taught to add 18" and then trim off the excess...I probably wasted a lot of material over the years, but have never had a short one.
I had alot of strings when I first started turn out too short, luckily I was usually twisting them for a 70" longbow, and have a variety of shorter recurves, so I scrapped few of them. Eventually I started making them long and trimming off the excess as Walt said.. Much less time consuming than making 3 strings (or unwinding and retwisting) to finally get the one you're aiming for. Personally i'd rather waste a little material than an extra 30-60 minutes.

As a side note, I made my own jig based off internet instructions, so maybe commercial jigs are a little more accurate the first time around!
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »
I've started twisting one loop and keeping the other end straight with about ten inches twisted into a rope so to speak.  Then use a timber hitch to fasten the other end.  You will never be too long or short if you give yourself enough to work with.

I put the hitch on the top nock to keep the loose end clean.

Especially useful for guys like me who use B50. It gives you an adjustment in addition to twisting your string so you won't ever again have a string that you feel is over twisted.

Another plus is it makes a good tillering string.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 08:15:00 PM »
My advice, get a hold of someone on here that makes Flemish strings to help you out.

A lot of the instructions online that are in video and text format over complicate the process and give contradictory information that will end up with you just being confused.

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 12:27:00 AM »
The process is pretty simple. My only concern is how much string needs to be on each end. That is an experience thing.  Chad from Champion Custom Bowstrings has been very helpful.
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 03:12:00 PM »
I have used anywhere from 7 inches to 12 inches.  Seven is barely enough for a straight bow with tiny nocks.  Ten inches is good.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 04:47:00 PM »
Don't forget to put some counter twist in after making the first loop.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©