3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: CO Huntin pressure  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Alvey

• Trad Bowhunter
CO Huntin pressure
« on: March 17, 2017, 07:21:00 PM »
Which week of archery gets the most hunting pressure?
Hard work spotlights the character of people:some turn up their sleeves,some turn up their noses,and some don’t turn up at all.(Sam Ewing)

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: CO Huntin pressure
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 08:40:00 PM »
All of them,i don't really notice much difference, first week and last week if I was going to venture a guess
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »
The third week, you're also competing with muzzleloaders.  The last week has the least pressure.  First two weeks the most from bowhunters.  Third week has bowhunters and muzzleloader hunters so probably the most then.  My experience is there are too many hunter most of the time.  I now hunt other states.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 12:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Orion:
The third week, you're also competing with muzzleloaders.  The last week has the least pressure.  First two weeks the most from bowhunters.  Third week has bowhunters and muzzleloader hunters so probably the most then.  My experience is there are too many hunter most of the time.  I now hunt other states.
From a locals perspective couldn't agree more. The best week for hunting is the week the smoke poles are in effect. (Which makes it bad)It's a disaster. From a pressure standpoint the last week seems to be the best.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 08:23:00 AM »
It seems to me the ATV pressure is terrible all 4 weeks in CO.  Dont see many hunters on foot any of the weeks Ive hunted.

Offline Alvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 08:31:00 AM »
Starting to get the craps of Colorado! maybe I'll apply for points only and go to another state,seems like everybody runs to Co.
Hard work spotlights the character of people:some turn up their sleeves,some turn up their noses,and some don’t turn up at all.(Sam Ewing)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 03:41:00 PM »
Keith, if you are hunting where ATVs have legal access then you are in the wrong place. If they are accessing illegally, I encourage you to take the time and effort to sic the authorities on them.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 03:51:00 PM »
It seems all the same to me although Labor Day weekend seems to definitely be the busiest time of all.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 03:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by monterey:
Keith, if you are hunting where ATVs have legal access then you are in the wrong place. If they are accessing illegally, I encourage you to take the time and effort to sic the authorities on them.
Yes stay away far far away for any ATV areas

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 07:58:00 PM »
If you go to a foot traffic only area and go in about 5mi you should be fine. I have hunted and killed a bull two years in a row in Colorado OTC tags DIY. Unless I'm just lucky once you get several miles in you don't see many other hunters. Have seen plenty of elk both years and only a few hunters...

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »
Sam, I'd say you ran 50/50 on luck and planning.  Two back to back is serious bragging rights.
Monterey

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 09:05:00 PM »
I have been on a total of 5 DIY , OCT tag elk hunts and have killed 3 bulls with a recurve. On the two when I did not bring an elk home was because I missed , on each hunt I saw elk almost every day. The days I did not see elk I was learning  and seeing new ground. I think a guy just needs to get far enough in to get away from other hunters. I like to think we make our own luck and walk our own path....

,,,,Sam,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 09:53:00 PM »
I had the same issues that Keith experienced.  I had hunted unit 79-80 since the early 90's with good results. It was awesome, but recently something has changed.  A lot more fire roads/trails and ATV's everywhere all day. I honestly think it pushed the elk out of the area too. That is what sent me to New Mexico. In 2 seasons there I never heard an ATV and only saw one dirt bike parked along a trail. If I do go back to CO it will definitely be a wilderness area that is foot or horse travel only. As far as time frame goes I like weeks 2&3. The 3rd week you have the smoke poles but the bulls are generally more fired up.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Alvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 10:19:00 PM »
I think a guy just needs to get far enough in to get away from other hunters. I like to think we make our own luck and walk our own path....

,,,,Sam,,,, [/QB][/QUOTE]

I like the way you Think!! I never like the phrase rather be lucky then good or aim hi and let er fly and hope for the best.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 05:10:00 PM »
I remember knowing someone who won $150.00 for 3 consecutive fridays on scratch cards. He believed he made his own luck too.  I hunt in Colorado because I live here.  I have grown up watching places that my Dad hunted for the last 40 years be land locked by private land. BLM land is plentiful, but there is plenty locked behind small tracks of private land. The population here is booming, and unfortunately hunting pressure is not the only thing stirring up game.  The "Colorado Lifestyle" entails countless hikers, backpackers, dog walkers and mountain bikers descending on the mountains every nice weekend in September; they seem to easily outnumber the hunters in the woods.  This state is my home and I have lived and hunter here long enough to see things change for the worse, unless you're into getting high or biking/climbing/running/rafting.  Out of state tag prices are pretty high and if I were coming from afar I'd certainly look else ware, but that's just me.    :dunno:
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 11:12:00 AM »
I guess elk hunting is like the lottery if you don't play you won't win.... I will continue to play and if hard work and planning , and getting out there finding elk and killing one is just luck than so be it.

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 11:18:00 AM »
Every week of the archery season is over-crowded in Colorado, especially the 3rd week with the muzzle loaders and it's getting worse. It used to be that I would draw tags in my favorite area every year but the last couple of years that's not the case.

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 01:26:00 PM »
Muzzleloader season is the worst I've seen. It's almost impossible to get away from them so you're better off skipping that week.
FoCoBlackWidow

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 04:25:00 PM »
Most ATVs Ive seen are driven illegally off trails.  And we do hike back in.  Just cant get away from them anymore.  And Ive hunted around the state.  This year will be a new OTC area with my brother and a couple friends.

And we have taken it up with the authorities.  Doesnt do any good.  They have to catch them.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 10:29:00 PM »
Yes, enforcement is spread pretty thin especially during hunting season.  Both national Forest personnel and Colorado wildlife officers are authorized to enforce.

I have made reports several times and in one case I'm pretty sure they were caught.

There​ are plenty of places where ATVs just can't go and that's where your focus needs to be.
Monterey

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©