3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly sharpening question  (Read 324 times)

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
Grizzly sharpening question
« on: October 31, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »
Well guys, after reading Dr. Ashby's info on the Grizzly's I just had to try them, so I ordered some today.  I was just wondering if anyone has successfully used a Lansky sharpener on these heads.  Thanks for the info, Mark
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly sharpening question
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »
I have.  Instead of using one of the holes for the guide rod, I used the top of the bracket.  It seemed to match the angle of the blade better.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 12:45:00 AM »
TTT
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
No matter the sharpener, you'll need to find something more aggressive than a stone or diamond bar/stick for the initial sharpening. I use a mill bastard file, but it's tricky. I've bought shovels that are sharper than these things. Darn hard steel.

Offline BigCnyn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
I use the flie to start the angles, a marker and be careful. Then I do switch to the diamond course stone in the Lansky, and use the marker to get them sharp and flat across the whole head... I loose the tanto that way, but have not lacked in penetration... Brian

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »
I use a disc sander to flatten the angle. Then a course diamond bar for my Lansky and color the edge with marker as Big Cnyn above to my 25 degree angle. Its not easy but if you wanted easy you would buy some other broadhead. I then finish with a bastard file, I like the rough shaving edge. And then back to sander to get tanto tip. 45 minutes or so with a 190 but well worth it. Now all I need is a little work with med file and they stay sharp-sharp-sharp and penetrate like nothing else.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »
The El Grande has way tougher metal. I used the paper wheel sharpening system that goes on the basic bench grinder. I achieved scary sharp results in minutes with each head. It would take hours per head to achieve an edge that MIGHT be iffy at the least. Get agressive with them. Not Lansky info but an alternate method. Just FYI.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 12:53:00 AM »
Thanks all for the info so far.  They should be in the mail tomorrow and I'm looking forward to getting started on them for the late season here in Missouri.

Offline Dan Reeves

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
I used my brother's Lansky and started on the top hole aggressively with the course diamond, it took a while to get the angle ground in using the marker method.
Then on to lighter stones until the fine and it is indeed scary sharp.

Ordered a Lansky for myself the same night.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©