3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody started rattling yet?  (Read 566 times)

Offline bearhair

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody started rattling yet?
« on: October 31, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has started rattling yet and if any bucks have responded?

Offline Slimpikins

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody started rattling yet?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
a good friend of mine rattled in 5 different bucks last week in upstate south carolina. rattling doesnt usually work in my area, but it sure did for him.

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
I did a little light rattle sequence the other day. Scared the crud out of a spike. Saw him high-tailin' it the other way.

Offline archenemy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
I rattled and grunted a spike in on Sat.  He was about 200 yds and came to within 20 yds lookin all around. I didn't notice any big ones lurkin in the background.  I'm going to Big Mac in Ok this weekend and try it there.

Archenemy
I am my own worst enemy!!!

Offline notdodger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
yeah... I rattled in 4 small ones two days ago in the early morning. And alot of doe's came in to watch also.

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
I rattled in five in last night. Biggest on was about a 100 inch 8pointer. Saw a spike chasing a doe. It's just around the corner here in NE Kansas!
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »
I rattled in a 4 pointer this past Sunday morning and my dad rattled in a 16" 8 point Saturday Night.

The deer are finally starting to warm up the antlers.

Gonna give it a go again this weekend.

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
no, but I creak and pop a little.  Sorry I couldn't help myself.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
I've been rattling and have been having does come in.  Haven't had the bucks respond (that I've seen anyway) yet.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
I've been trying it the past couple of weekends.  Usually have limited success with it where I hunt, but Monday morning was different.  Had a P&Y class eight pointer come in like he was on a rope to within 5 yards of my tree before busting me.  A smaller 8 point came in from the opposite direction at the same time, and of course he gave me a shot opportunity.  He walked.
I'll bet I rattle 20 times before getting a response on average.  But you never know when the right time will be.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
Rattled in a curious 4 pointer last night. No shot but I got him on camera.  He exited east and moments later I heard the explosion of a nearby smokepole. The guy never came to thank me. He had to be a trespasser since hunting isn't allowed there.

I couldn't find a gut pile this morning so maybe he missed.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
Bro rattled up and passed on a 110-115 " 8 pt this AM,he has iron will!!! LOL   I haven't had any luck yet.........
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
Whip, I'm 0 for 1000. I've never had any success at rattling. Must be me, but I just can't make it work.

I keep trying, and there are some massive bucks where I'm hunting....just never have had any takers.

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
I haven't tried rattling yet but I did see pretty decent bucks starting to spar this last week-end. No real knock down drag outs yet. Maybe a week or so away. That's whats going on in this part of the country anyway.

Raineman, you need a decent buck to doe ratio for it to work well. If there are numerous does a buck doesn't necessarily need to establish total dominance to get his share.

Louis
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
I'm with ya. I've never had the pleasure of a properly "ratio'd" herd. Everywhere I've hunted the does are like roaches.....exactly why I figured I scared that little 'un.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »
My father-in-law rattled in a forked horn yesterday.  Friday I hit the "can" from Primos and had a four-point come in.

Stan

Offline terencepinder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 12:43:00 AM »
ive got some videos on my trail cam of bucks fighting nothing serious just playing

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 06:20:00 AM »
I`m like Raineman, NEVER had a deer respond to rattling. Even once I could see a buck, and got his attention with the antlers, only to have him turn and walk the opposite way.

It must be me because I hear of other people in my area getting results sometimes.

Offline Eastern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »
My friend and myself have been in the woods on/off for the past week.  Here in Nova Scotia the deer haven't even started making rubs or scrapes.  been too damn warm
A bad day of hunting is still far better than a good day at work.

Offline Jim Godden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
Bearhair, I've been rattling a little bit, trying to mimic some light sparring.  No response of any sort so far.  I'm not that far north of you, by Franktown, and I don't believe there is very much of any rutting activity yet.  Maybe due to the weather?  Anyway two years ago we rattled in a big 10 point late in November and a friend of mine rattled and called then arrowed a monster three years ago in early December.  Could be it's too early here yet?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©