3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Traditional Woodsman Announcement UPDATE!  (Read 931 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Traditional Woodsman Announcement UPDATE!
« on: March 18, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »
Folks, we have been a sponsor of this amazing website for a few years now, since our inception. We have fiddled around trying to find our place...first as a blogging site, then as a retail site selling traditional archery products. Over time, I was "side tracked" by my day job, and Traditional Woodsman fell to neglect. Our site was hacked, we weren't very active.

My other company is perking along now;I have hired both my sons, and now I have a little bandwidth to get things going again. We have been working diligently to get the site back up and running, and developing some new (although traditional) products. We will have some of the Asbell products that we were known for, as well as a few surprises. The thing is, nothing happens all at once. We will be rolling a few products out at a time...here is the first:

The Traditional Woodsman Skinner. I will never claim to have "designed" this knife. It is the culmination of what I thought a proper field knife should be, and from Carltons perspective, how a knife should be built.

The 4 inch blade is 1095 steel, with a Cocobolo handle. The steel requires some care. Clean it, oil it, don't just toss it in a drawer until you need it next year. The chemical etching gives it the patina of an old friend. It's meant to be used, and cared for. It's meant to be handed down, not tossed away.

Carlton has taken great care in the process to make sure the spine of the blade is more flexible than the cutting edge. Close inspection shows a "quench line" dividing the blade.

The blade shape is heavily influenced by the knives I "go to" the most when hunting. Plenty of belly for skinning, yet a tight enough point so opening up a whitetail doesn't require a second knife. Carlton modified my blade model a bit, adding scroll work on top and a more abrupt bottom edge, to keep the blade for slipping under load. We have a lanyard hole on the knife, I find them very handy when taking apart big game, when the handle get s slippery, or when using the knife in a spot where dropping it could be bad new (over water, in a treestand).

I won't claim "this is all the knife you will ever need"...most of us have a drawer full of "perfect knives". But to me this knife is special. I have spent a lifetime in the woods, fiddling around with different ideas for the perfect hunting knife. And while I wouldn't want to choose, if I had to, this knife can do almost anything required of a woodsmans knife.

Price, including the sheath, is $135 plus actual shipping. In a few weeks you can go on my site and buy online, for now please email me: [email protected] and we will work out the details.

Stay tuned....more great stuff on the way
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Traditional Woodsman Announcement UPDATE!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 05:40:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:     :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 05:45:00 PM »
Good to see you rolling on Roger. Looks like a great knife!! Hope to see you at Compton​. I'd like to give the new knife a feel.

Steve Jr
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 07:36:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 07:39:00 PM »
You've got a winner there Roger. I know it's made right because "Carlton", C L Matteo is the man that makes all of my knives and hawks. Carlton has been forging knives and such for 40+ years and he knows his stuff when it comes to steel.

Good luck with your new Traditional Woodsman Skinner.    :thumbsup:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 10:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
You've got a winner there Roger. I know it's made right because "Carlton", C L Matteo is the man that makes all of my knives and hawks. Carlton has been forging knives and such for 40+ years and he knows his stuff when it comes to steel.

Good luck with your new Traditional Woodsman Skinner.     :thumbsup:  
Thanks Ron...I hope Carlton showed this to you before he shipped it. It's awesome.

G. Fred Asbell

Online gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 11:15:00 AM »
That's gorgeous.  

Any chance for a crossdraw style sheath?
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 12:13:00 PM »
Great knife. I want one (or maybe two).
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 12:46:00 PM »
Thank you for....I hadn't thought about a crossdraw sheath. I'm sure we can work something out.

Email me [email protected] for orders, thanks to those who have already!

G. Fred Asbell

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »
Looking Good!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline mt-tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 02:39:00 PM »
I really like that knife!  I think one of those will end up in my "collection" before long.

Tom

Offline mt-tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 03:08:00 PM »
I really like that knife!  I think one of those will end up in my "collection" before long.

Tom

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 08:18:00 AM »
Roger, that's a beauty and as Ron LaClair says, Carl knows his stuff, so the quality will be there. Nice addition to your line-up of offerings.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 02:05:00 PM »
Blacksmith Carlton Matteo is a student of history, he likes to make steel in the old way and in the old style.

A few years ago he made a trip to the museum where the tomahawk of Squire Boone, the brother of Daniel Boone was on display. He took pictures and measurements then came home and made a copy of the hawk.

When you get a knife or hawk from Carlton you can be assured it was made by an old time blacksmith whose goal is to create a tool in a style that looks and feels like those carried by woodsmen from the past.  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 02:11:00 PM »
Carlton's copy of the Boon hawk which is mine now.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 02:35:00 PM »
Nice to see you back in it Roger. That is a really handy looking knife.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 04:06:00 PM »
Roger,

I got my free Traditional Woodsman Prostaff version of the knife in the mail today. Looks great. I'm guessing Ron, Greg and Tim should all get theirs today too.    :D

P.S.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 05:13:00 PM »
There's a snake in every woodpile

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ray Lyon:
Roger,

I got my free Traditional Woodsman Prostaff version of the knife in the mail today. Looks great. I'm guessing Ron, Greg and Tim should all get theirs today too.     :D  

P.S.
That will cost you 3 apple pies Ray. 1 sweet for Ron, 2 tart for me.   :bigsmyl:

Ron, thanks for posting the information about Carlton. And be surprised I haven't finagled you out of that 'Hawk yet.
I urge you guys to look on Ron's site for some of Carltons other work. Lots of period style knives, all built first quality as working knives.

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 07:52:00 PM »
Wishing you and your team the best of success.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©