3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why nobody talking about Idaho elk?  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Why nobody talking about Idaho elk?
« on: March 19, 2017, 06:30:00 PM »
I'm careful what I post on modern Bowsites but among traditional bow hunters I talked quite a bit about hunting areas and don't keep too many secrets unless I'm asked to.
Sooo...

I was checking out Idaho success rates in over-the-counter units. Why does no one go to Idaho!? Everyone talks about Colorado
I'm planning to go to Colorado hoping to draw a mule deer tag this year, but am curious about some of you folks who go to Idaho and other states besides Colorado for OTC hunting on public land. I'd like to try another state sometime

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why nobody talking about Idaho elk?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 06:53:00 PM »
we like it when people go to Colorado.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »
I hunted idaho in 2015 and had a great time. There were several bulls bugling and we were in elk everday, it just never came together. I will definitely go back in the future. I just think colorado gets more attention since its more centrally located and has the largest elk population.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 08:10:00 PM »
Yes. Would like to hear from anyone having hunted elk in ID. I'm going the first week of Sept. using Weitas Creek Outfitters. They operate under a special use permit in the Nez-Perce, Clearwater National Forest, I.D.F.G. Unit 10.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 08:39:00 PM »
"Why does no one go to Idaho!"

There are plenty of people going to Idaho.  I'd say the hunting pressure there was on par with what I've seen in Colorado, maybe even a little more. At least in the unit I hunted.  I also found I had a much harder time out walking the pressure in Idaho...Even packing in 8 or more miles wasn't enough to get away from the pressure.  In Colorado I've seldom had that problem.  I did see plenty of elk including a few whoppers though. I think you can have a great hunt in either state but I wouldn't count on going to Idaho (or any OTC area) and finding light hunting pressure.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 08:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by highlow:
Yes. Would like to hear from anyone having hunted elk in ID. I'm going the first week of Sept. using Weitas Creek Outfitters. They operate under a special use permit in the Nez-Perce, Clearwater National Forest, I.D.F.G. Unit 10.
Never hunted elk with Gary, but I have hunted spring bear with him, and he seems to know a thing or two about elk. I'm betting you will have a good time, and Gary is a trad archer.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 09:03:00 PM »
DT.  My experience has been just the opposite, kind of. The area I used to hunt in Colorado is now overrun with hunters. Grand Mesa area.  Can no longer remember the specific unit.

In truth, also happened in Idaho, a bit northeast of McCall.  Had some real good hunts there about 25-28 years ago, but then there was a big forest fire.  Firefighters put in a lot of roads to fight the fires, and they weren't closed off to atvs and trail bikes after the fires.  Just overrun with hunters and off road vehicles 20 years later, ab out a half-dozenyears ago.  Won't go back there.  

Hunting another area in south central Idaho now, where off road vehicles aren't permitted.  Tougher to get into.  Have an outfitter pack us in now, but not much competition with other hunters even though there are quite a few in the area.  Killed a rag horn three years ago. Close, but no cigar the past two.  Going back there again this year.

It's a long haul from Wisconsin to Idaho, about 1,600 miles for me.  Colorado is about 1,000. Two long days of driving each way gets a little tiring.

Regardless, Idaho's tags are still reasonable, and, unlike most other states, one can shoot a wolf, bear or cougar on one's elk or mule deer tag.  So one can be hunting five species at once.  That being said, chances of seeing a wolf or cougar are pretty slim  I did pass on a black bear two years ago.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by DarkTimber:
"Why does no one go to Idaho!"

There are plenty of people going to Idaho.  I'd say the hunting pressure there was on par with what I've seen in Colorado, maybe even a little more. At least in the unit I hunted.  I also found I had a much harder time out walking the pressure in Idaho...Even packing in 8 or more miles wasn't enough to get away from the pressure.  In Colorado I've seldom had that problem.  I did see plenty of elk including a few whoppers though. I think you can have a great hunt in either state but I wouldn't count on going to Idaho (or any OTC area) and finding light hunting pressure.
Looking at the numbers on both fish and game websites shows significantly higher hunter numbers in Colorado and lower success rates too

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 10:18:00 PM »
One word answer "wolves"

They have wiped out a great elk herd and made it foolish to spend your money in Idaho.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline nidaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 11:36:00 PM »
there are elk here just no were near as many as 10 years ago. the wolves are putting a hurt on the population. southern Idaho has a better population than in the north. the north end is getting pretty bad. the moose are all but gone, they have finally reduced tags and the elk hunting is going down fast. still elk to hunt but fewer every year. they are now going to wipe out our cow population because the bull cow ratios are off. between the wolves and our spike hunts the bull population is very low. not uncommon to see a herd of 30 cows with no bull in September and October.

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 12:44:00 AM »
idaho is a big state with a lot of different country...up north its wall to wall timber and brushy...central part is somewhat thinner timber and less brush...south is much more open and more orv's

i have no experiance in the south...one example of recent years in the salmon region is 6 tags in and 6 bulls out (2008) fallowing year 6 tags in and 6 tags out...that was a two week pack in hunt...wolves wolves and more wolves.

up norht we have lost 2 weeks of our season...1 week off the early season and 1 week off the late season and the whole season is bulls only !!!...we have had draw cow tags the last 5 years in some units...this year starts a new 5 year plan and the plan doesn't include more season or cows EXCEPT on or within 1 mile of private grownd (in some units) for 7 days in sept only.

we are allowed 5 wolf tags but they are very hard to hunt in heavy timber...fish and game cant even kill them from the air...

we can buy non res tags at a discount if we buy before the season opens...back about 10 years ago there were no leftover n/r tags.

so why doesn't anyone hunt idaho   :dunno:    :dunno:    :dunno:

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 01:55:00 PM »
It pains me to see so much blame of wolves.  It's as if habitat loss, lack of fire, increased technology and a host of other issues are just background noise.  Wolves, elk, moose, grizzlies and humans once thrived together.  All of those species are drastically down in their populations except one -- us.  And yet we still think wolves and other apex predators are the problem.  Oh well.  So sad.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »
I think the science proves wolves are having an impact...  a larger impact is the increase in hunters and specifically bowhunters using mechanical bows and crossbows now being legal where range/accuracy is far beyond that of a traditional bow when the season was first developed as a primitive weapon season due to the challenge.  Same is being seen in blackpowder where modern blackpowder rifles have little more than name in common with theweapons the seasons were developed to support.  Especially with technology allowing modern shooters to reach out beyond 200 yds with scopes, sabot bullets, pelletized moisture resistant propellant and shotgun primer caps that burn very hot.  THe days of iron sights with loose powder and ball or conical projectiles is a thing of the past except for a few of us.  Encroachment, habitat, hunters, technology...and wolves all are making an impact.  

THere was a study by Idaho that listed their findings and modern technology was definitely noted as a player in increasing successful hunts...
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 04:23:00 PM »
Brock, you make a very valid point!
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »
Brock - all points taken.  I don't doubt that wolves are having an impact.  But they're supposed to.  I lament that their impact is seen as a problem in the ecosystem rather than a statement of its health.

For 190,000 years, we humans knew this -- world-wide.  A lot of good wisdom has been lost over the last 10,000 years.  But that tale would take many campfires to tell.
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline nidaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 05:52:00 PM »
not sure why some say the wolf is not to blame. if anyone had been in north Idaho and Montana in the late 70 and early 80 there were hardly any elk they were reintroduced in the early 80. as the herds took hold the population exploded. up in till the time the wolf population exploded, from reintroduction which I believe started in about 88. the wolf is to blame also the lack of logging does not help.

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 06:40:00 PM »
we all want to blame something or someone...after 50 seasons here in the panhandle of idaho i will say that we have had other isssues and fixed them...wolves we are having a hard time managing.

1. i killed my first elk in 66...the population was just really taking off...VERY FEW HUNTERS !!!

2. the 70's saw a big increase in hunter numbers...but elk population kept growing due to lots of winter feed in clear cuts.

3. lots of roads for logging ment easy access...bad for elk...so fish and game and forest service worked togeather to close roads...good for elk and better hunting for guys like me that use horses.

4. tree huggers changed the logging industry to where clear cuts are a thing of the past...so goes elk winter feed.

5. compounds made a big differance in % of kill...in the 70 it was 3% average...dont know what it was 5 years ago when we lost part of our season and went bulls only...idaho has allowed 80% letoff compounds in reasont years so women and kids could partisapate more easily...

6. we also have several 2 bear areas and n/r can use there elk and deer tags for predators if they so chose...

7. fish and game is mandated to manage elk for excess animals for hunting...thats where the money comes from not from predator hunting.

for what it's worth to those of you who have never been hear or lived throught the good bad and ugly take my word for it...IT AINT GETTING BETTER !!!

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 07:53:00 PM »
If you anchor on 1960s-level populations being the norm, then things are undoubtedly horrible today.  The increase of wolves, mountain lions, etc. correlate with the decline and undoubtedly contribute to it.

Biologists I've read and spoken with say that the 1960s were abnormally high for game numbers only because there were too few predators at the time to keep the prey in balance.  Hunting was needed to accomplish what other predators used to do.  I think some of us like things this way -- more for us.  I get it.  And as times get tough, it's time to kill off the competition.  Obviously, I don't agree.  But I get it.

But from 1960 to today, the US population has almost doubled and a lot of habitat has been lost.  Blaming predators for a decline in prey populations is like the stereotypical wife, while spending lavishly on herself, blames the husband for not making enough money and causing their financial woes.  While it may be somewhat true, it just ain't the whole story.

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 09:33:00 PM »
yosemitesam...dont want to upset the apple cart here but you obviously did NOT read what i said...in 1966 the elk population was not at a all time high...what i said was it was just taking off...most serious elk hunters hunted the clear water area and south in those days not up here...im talking about north idaho (panhandle region) not anywhere else...(remember im a life long local res)

yes the human population has grown a lot in the last 50 years ...BUT...we have not lost any habitat because its mostly national forest with a healthy amount of corp timber ground in some area...timber companys continue to clear cut whitch provides brows for elk while on national forest it is outlawed...yes clear cuts are ugly.

truth be told there are more elk close to town now than ever before...not huntable for most people...theres a hurd of 30ish running around out on the rathdrum prairie for all to see and a smaller hurd in my back yard...this is new in the last 10 years or so...yes the wolves have followed.

remember we are talking about why no one is talking about hunting elk in idaho...facts are facts...ive lived it and i will go out on a limb and say you have not...i dont know who you have talked to or read but PLEASE LISTEN to the facts...most of your argument doesnt hold water as far as this area is concerned.

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 09:44:00 PM »
Tom Mussatto

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©