3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wild things update?  (Read 684 times)

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
Wild things update?
« on: March 20, 2017, 12:19:00 PM »
Next week myself, brother and father are headed down for our first hog hunt. Seems in the past there was always a lot of talk about people's hunts at wild things and this year nothing really at all....so wondering if you've been this year how things are? Also if you're a southern boy what's the weather been like and the bugs?
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wild things update?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 05:17:00 PM »
I have seen some facebook stuff. I believe Steve Angell had some good tales recently.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 05:41:00 PM »
Bud is right, but that isn't my story to tell. I'll type up a bit of what I learned last week and I hope it helps you. Give me 5 minutes.
Thom

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 06:06:00 PM »
Hi Greg,
After hurricane Matthew hit the whole SE seems to have taken a hit. One nearby rifle property normally tags 600 deer, they did less than 200 this year. As much griping as I heard from rifle hunters in town, it seems nobody left their stands over corn feeders to really hunt them.

Given the info, I did a lot of scouting early last week and confirmed there is a lot of blow down in the swamp and still acorns available. One hunter observed hogs using the trails in and out of his feeder to get from one oak tree to another while walking over corn to get there. A couple other guys had them come in to the feeder in the last minutes of daylight.

Given that info, here is the plan we generally ran:
1) Since it was so cold at night we waited for the temperature to start to rise and stalked the swamp in areas between swamp feeders. We bumped a lot of pigs and had some opportunities. I let down on 3 of them for different reasons and came back without a hog because of it. I'm good with that, I'd hate to pass through one and wound another.

2) At 4:30pm many guys would sit feeders in the swamp until the last bit of shooting light. A few guys put their headlamps on their bows or clamped them to stands to try to milk out a few more minutes. I'm not sure if it helped or hurt them.

3) Tracks, sign, and cameras showed predictable activity in the swamp, but generally not on the hill. If I were hunting next week, the first night I would man the line between Sam Rice and Cohen's Bluff Field. Andrew will be able to show you on the big map.

4) YOU HAVE TO GET OFF THE ROADS. You will see fresh tracks on them everyday in the swamp, but if you are stalking the wind you have to do it in the heavy cover between the roads. Many of the hogs we saw were >100 yards from any road.

5) Warmest part of the day and right at dark we had almost all of our sightings. Early morning and late afternoon they seemed to die down.

Note: for anyone searching the archives in the future, this seems to be a pretty unusual set of circumstances to me. Trust your own scouting and observations. I'm just trying to help out the guys in the next hunt or maybe two with not wasting time on areas that are currently not showing hog sign. Usually this time of year it's 180 degrees different with feeders and stands on the hill be by far the most productive.

I didn't see a bug until Friday night (warmest day) but then I was swarmed hard by some kind of little white gnat and mosquitoes. It's been generally warm all winter, we just hit the cold snap.

All total we saw just over a hundred, several shots were passed, a few shots were taken, and for a few reasons only one hog made the trip to the cooler. Shoot me a PM if you want to talk on the phone before you go.
Thom

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 07:48:00 AM »
Hey man, where are you comeing from in NY? Me and another guy will be down there next week also. Looking forward to meeting you guys and getting some time in the woods!
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 07:53:00 AM »
Hey Kopper are you related to anybody up in North Creek?

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 12:51:00 PM »
No one in north creek I'm out of Rochester so you guys are the Puerto Rican outdoorsmen hahaha? Looking forward to meeting you as well. I talked with Andrew last night and it sounds like things are just starting to get better he told me Sticksnstones crew saw 109 but like Sticksnstones said the acorns have been a problem.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 02:39:00 PM »
I was there a few weeks ago and the hogs do not have to move much to eat their favorite food - acorns. There are tons of acorns all over the place. It is just one of those bumper-crop-of-acorns years. I think that Thom summed it up by saying that you might need to get deep into the swamp side of the property and not count on the hogs to move, but cover some ground yourself and get into their kitchen.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 02:57:00 PM »
We were named the Puerto Rican outdoorsmen by one of our members and the name stuck I guess. All good info here. Looks like we will have to bring the stalking boots and not be afraid of the swamp monsters!! The grow them big down there!!!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 09:40:00 PM »
Team up to get'em moving. Study the maps. Take a compass.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 09:57:00 PM »
Last year there were several holed up in here during the day. Andrew can tell you where this is. There are briers and short rivercane that will not allow you to see your feet while walking thru it. They will bump, but will stay in it unless you team up on them. Having hogs running less than ten feet away and not being able to see them is not an easy thing to endure and keep steady. Fortunately, they were young (6 mos on average, 60lber) hogs last year and they likely stayed close to there. Probably 160lbs now. If Andrew has burned this area, they are now elsewhere.

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 04:53:00 AM »
Hope you guys have a great time. Sorry I couldn't make it this year. Just a bit of advice Kopper,if you are bunking with Ray, bring ear plugs!

Offline steve helstowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 11:53:00 AM »
I m bringing a tent.... just in case.

Offline steve helstowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »

Offline Steve Crowl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 07:16:00 PM »
I killed one in the field showing the X during my trip a couple years ago. One of the best hunting trips I ever had.
Steve Crowl

"Proud Father of several Marines"

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 07:25:00 AM »
A tent? You must want to get to that stand early think of those nice little alligators snuggling up to you at night!  It is sweet of you to keep them warm.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 08:30:00 AM »
Two Motrin PM's and ear plugs. Even I can sleep through a chorus of snoring hog hunters.

We were just there a month ago. Knowing what we know now we would love to go back down.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline steve helstowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 09:33:00 AM »
Yes.. sounds like a change in our original plan is in order , hope it goes well . I'll try and keep everyone up to date when we are down .. hopefully we can adapt to these changes sooner than later.. that being said . In the 4/5 times I've been down ,  I've always had a blast.

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 08:33:00 AM »
Red B share with us what you know! If it works out I will send you a ham steak!

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 08:38:00 AM »
Biggamefish, you read it same as I did. Forget the "hill" and concentrate your efforts in the lower half of the swamp.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©