3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinion about blade sharpening service  (Read 407 times)

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
Opinion about blade sharpening service
« on: March 20, 2017, 05:12:00 PM »
I consider myself pretty good at sharpening a blade; in fact, people at work come to me to sharpen their knives.  I've only come across one knife, since the day I figured it out, that I couldnt get to a shaving edge.  The same goes for broadheads, chisels, and hand plane blades.  

So what would you all think about a mail-in blade sharpening business.  I figure people here really appreciate sharp blades as much as, if not more so, than the general population.  

This is just in the brain storming phase, I just want some opinions from people far and wide.  Thanks.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Opinion about blade sharpening service
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 05:16:00 PM »
In truth, I don't think I'd use such a servicer, at least not for broad head blades.  They get dull or at least begin to dull fairly quickly when kept in a bow, side or shoulder quiver.  It's important to know how to touch them up.  Just wouldn't be cost or time efficient to be sending them to someone else to do that.  Others may differ.

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 08:13:00 PM »
There may be some people out there.  Your better bet would be to lease a drop off at a local hardware store or sporting good store.  

For me, I would not utilize a service like that because I consider blade sharpening to be a vital skill to be proficient at.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 08:52:00 PM »
Might have a hard time around here finding too many that can't sharpen a blade....part of the life style.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 08:53:00 PM »
If you could get my broadheads shaving sharp, i would surely consider it, depending on price!

Bisch

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 08:56:00 PM »
I would use a service for a reasonable price

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 09:29:00 PM »
Just out of curiosity, I wonder what the one blade you couldn't get sharp was?  I always had trouble with stainless steel blades, like they have on Swiss Army knives.  They come razor sharp, so it must be possible to sharpen them, but they just frustrate me.  I won't buy them anymore, except for serrated edge blades for the kitchen, which I also can't seem to sharpen, but I'll use them for about ten years and then just buy another one.  I'll bet if you offered to sharpen stainless and serrated edge blades, you'd get a lot of business.  A new higher end Henkels bread knife costs about $40-50, and if you could get it back to original sharpness for $10 plus shipping, I bet you'd get a lot of business.

OTOH, I doubt if many people who buy $200-$300 custom knives want anybody else to sharpen them.  But then they come with steel that is pretty easy to sharpen.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 01:07:00 PM »
Can't say I'd ever use such a service.  Having somebody else sharpen my blades would be right up there with having somebody else tie a fly on my line for me or having to stop to ask for directions.

But there are stranger ideas in business that have taken off.  Seems like the initial investment wouldn't bee too high to get the business started.  Why not experiment with a website, a little marketing and some basic equipment & see if it sticks?  Worst-case scenario, you end up with some decent sharpening equipment and maybe a tax write off for your losses.  Why not?
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »
For myself it wouldn't be something I'd use. I sharpen all my knives and broadheads by hand. Besides mine are all glue on heads so I sharpen them after mounting and checking flight.
I do know a few guys who are sharpening challenged so much who knows.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 03:45:00 PM »
I think knifes would go over better than broadheads.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online Josh H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 04:16:00 PM »
I don't think it is a bad idea. What price point are you considering?

If it is something you are serious about, do a few for free and allow room for honest feedback.

It might really take off with right marketing and solid results.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 05:12:00 PM »
Sorry Marine. It's wouldn't use that service but I would guess some people would. Especially for knives. Maybe give it  shot and see how it goes. Might be worth it. Semper Fi

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 08:10:00 PM »
McDave, the knife that stumped me was marked as surgical stainless steel.  The geometry didnt lend itself to sharpening either.  I could get it sharp, but not to my standard.

As far as pricing, I figured about $3-4 for up to 5" blade, $5-6 up to 8", and so on.

Broadheads would be different, like $1-1.50 each, since theyre smaller, require touching up often and are used in sets.

Hand plane blades and chisels would likely fall in the middle, since theyre usually single bevel.

Obviously, shipping would also have to be paid.  And if the blade stumps me, Id be ok with refunding the sharpening fee.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 09:19:00 PM »
I would not send my knives or broadheads out for sharpening.  Using cheap tools as simple as some of the hand-held sharpeners, I've been able to easily get razor sharp edges.  The cost of the tool is less than a sharpening job or two and it will keep on sharpening for a long, long time.

I think if a person were in a large metro area where people could drop off blades and not also have the hassle of shipping things and paying for that as well, a sharpening service could possibly make it.
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 10:10:00 PM »
I don't think you would get much business .
There are to many guys like me that sharpen for friends for no charge .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »
That half the fun of bow hunting , sharpening my heads in the off season. Really be up a creek to not be able to resharpen a knife in the field dressing an animal.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 09:21:00 AM »
The sharpest edge that I can visually verify is sharp enough to shave hair. I can do that myself, so I would not send my knives or heads out. In this area, there is a guy at all the gun shows I attend who will sharpen knives while you wait. I always see a fair number of people visiting his location.
Sam

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 01:19:00 PM »
In theory, it sounds good, but in reality, it's very hard to get money out of people's pockets for things they "Need" plus paying for postage. I feel you'd have to make the service "stupid cheap" to get them hooked and it probably wouldn't be worth your time. Unless you REALLY like to sharpen blades. Then you send them back and the person claims you didnt get it sharp enough. Then what. No, I think I would pass if I were you.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 09:37:00 PM »
I think I would try it !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 10:07:00 PM »
I dunno, a friend once told me not to try to make a business out of something I do for pleasure, because then it probably won't be fun anymore.  Just do it for yourself and give it away to your friends when you feel like it, then everyone stays happy.

From my own experience as a CPA, the most successful businesses I have seen are where someone is offering a product or service that most people either cannot or don't want to make or do for themselves.  Good examples of the first are expert bowyers or doctors, and the second would be plumbers.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©