3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shoulder bag for hunting.  (Read 1037 times)

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Shoulder bag for hunting.
« on: October 31, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
I posted this on another site but thought I'd ask here as well.  I'm looking for a shoulder bag for my hunting gear, but not the little bag with quiver at three rivers.    Seems I saw one once that was sort of odd shaped and just hangs under the arm.  Bison gear does not have one anymore if they did in the past, nor does Cabela's.  The other one I heard of is sort of stiff and cumbersome looking.  Any thoughts??
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline mountaindog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoulder bag for hunting.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »
check these out.... hopefully the misses will be pulling through with one for x-mas....
 www.blackpowderbags.com

mike
>>>>---LIFE IS A KNIFE---->   (X)

mike

Offline vermontrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »
I just went to the local army surplus store and bought a green map case, that's what they called it,  it's a shoulder bag 10"tall X 9"wide X 5"thick has two compartments a flap cover with snaps and only 10 bucks. Works well...
"Only a fool lean upon his own misunderstanding" -B.Marley

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
If you'll allow me to make a suggestion- TREAT yourself to something special that will last several lifetimes! Just track down your local leathersmith and ask him to make you a CUSTOM possibles bag. I had one made for me twenty years ago out of elk hide and I've seldom bowhunted without it since.

When I had it made, I had a knife sheath sewn to the outside of the bag to hold a Schrade "Old Timer" fixed blade knife. On the inside of the bag, I had a loop sewn in to hold a mini-mag flashlight in place for quick access; another small pocket to hold a compass (ever forgot to bring your compass or flashlight?), and several other pockets to help keep my other essentials organized. After a season or two of use, you'll find that you will rely on the bag as much as your bow. Moreover, you'll find that you will be able to grab things from your bag by FEEL without the use of a flashlight. You know, keep your shooting glove in on spot; mini-mag in its' loop, wool fingerless gloves in another compartment, armguard in another; file in another, etc, etc. I even had two very small (about 1/2" diameter) loops sewn to both ends of the bottom of the bag. When the weather turns cold or there is a threat of rain, I tie LONG pieces of leather lace through the two loops and then use the leather laces to secure my rain gear or wool sweater snuggly to the bottom of the bags. In warm weather, I'll roll my outer layer clothes together, secure them to the bottom of the bag and then finish dressing once at my stand to minimize sweating.

A little Montana "Pitch blend" applied during the off season keeps the bag waterproof and moisturized. And twenty seasons later, it still looks brand new. And believe me when I tell ya, this bag has been used and ABUSED. On many occassions, when hunting from a make shift ground blind, I've even used it as a "seat cushion" to ward of the chill and dampness of the hunting season forest floor.

During the season, I keep all my gear, including my possibles bag outside the house in an extra large tupperware-like container. By keeping all my essentials in my possibles bag, and by leaving my outer layer garments tied to the bottom of the bag, all I have to do when I get home from work is grab my possibles bag and bow and I'm able to squeeze in a short hunt on weeknights.

Just for your consideration...

"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
I got a nice one on that auction site. Just the right size, pockets and compartments for a good amount of gear. That and a fanny pack and I'm good to go. I was surprised at the quality for $19 with shipping, buy it now. Comes from Hong Kong in a week to 10 days or so. Search "Milspec Utility Shoulder Pouch" in hunting accessories. I got a camo one.

Huckleberry, I like yours, classy and very Trad.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 01:20:00 AM »
Out here in Cali the bike messengers use shoulder bags. It works gret for them it also works great for the bowhunter too. The strap crosses the chest, and they stay in place--I have run at a time with mine on.

Timbuk2 has an excellent website--and they have wool models too, though they are more difficult to find. You can even have them make a bag to your specs.

I have used mine a number of times when I used it as a carry-on when flying, then straight to the field.

I do wish Bison Packs would come up with a similar model with the bowhunter in mind. It would be the cart and the horse.
J
"Your own soul, as a hunter, has gone out to fasten on the soul of the deer, even before the deer has any wind of you, it is so. It is a subtle, profound battle of wills , which takes place in the invisible" D.H. Lawrence

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 01:23:00 AM »
By the way: Huckleberry, That's a real cool bag. It sounds perfect.
"Your own soul, as a hunter, has gone out to fasten on the soul of the deer, even before the deer has any wind of you, it is so. It is a subtle, profound battle of wills , which takes place in the invisible" D.H. Lawrence

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 04:19:00 AM »
hey Huckleberry that looks like an interesting shirt/jacket you are wearing. Care to fill us in on the details?

Great idea about the bag as well.

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
As far as the bag goes, to me, it's an invaluable hunting tool. Once or twice over the years I've tried to use a back pack or fanny pack and IMHO they just aren't as user friendly as having all of your "stuff" immediately accessible and right there at your side. Most of my hunts are within walking distance of the house or jeep so there is no real need to carry a bunch of stuff with me into the woods. I can appreciate that on an extended hunt, how a back pack would lend itself to that application. But for most of my hunts, it's just overkill. Kinda like carrying six arrows into the woods for a three hour hunt- why?

Regarding the hunting shirt - "treasures" can be found just about anywhere. I purchased this particular poly-wool hooded shirt many years ago at, get this, a small ma and pa grocery store in northern Michigan- for like $7. It's my favorite hunting shirt and comfortably gets me through the first third of bow season. I can say with absolute certainty that this type of plaid fabric pattern conceals me just as well - perhaps better - than some of my high dollar mid/late season camo. As with his other recommendations, G. F. Asbell hit the nail on the head regarding the use of plaids for concealment.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 10:16:00 AM »
like vermontrad said only I picked up a gas mask bag.  Carries gear for bowhunting and gear bag during black powder.  They go for around $3.00 to $5.00. Had mine for many years.  I had the strap extended at the local boot repair shop.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »
Try these sites. The last site looks like the best one. The second site has some kits so you can make your own.

I used leather mountainman bags and leather possible bags when I did my search.

I like this idea.

http://www.sewsatnight-mountainmanbags.com/index.cfm/fa/categories.main/parentcat/23181

http://www.jedediah-starr.com/ON-LINE%20index%20leather.HTM

http://possibleshop.com/october-country.htm
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline McGeeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
I use a shoulder bag when hunting as well. check the classifieds. There are some very good leather workers on it. That's where I got mine and it was a good price as well.

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »
I second McGeeM's suggestion.

Having a bag made to your specifications should not be an expensive endeavor. More than likely, for less than the cost of two or three tanks of gas, you'll own a highly functional hunting bag that your grandson can pass down to his grandson. Check out our classified section, we owe it to our sponsors to ship them business whenever possible.

In a way that only traditionalists can relate to, you'll find that you grow fond of your posssibles bag in the same manner that you grow fond of your favorite bow, the aroma of cedar arrows, your favorite hunting knife, etc.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »
Check out German Ridge bags.They look classy and have a built in quiver.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
I have several shoulder bags that I use when hunting. Years ago I used a fanny pack but I now prefer the shoulder bag or possibles bag as many call it because it's easier to get to the stuff that I need.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
I was going to make a light-hearted comment about a man purse  :rolleyes:  until I saw the look on Ron's face and his 'hawk within reach     :scared:  

I like the idea of a possibles bag but can't seem to get comfortable with another shoulder strap in addition to the quiver I carry.  There are some good suggestions and bags listed here.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »
I use a possibles bag when hunting with my flintlocks, but for bowhunting, I use my Badlands Super Day pack. I like having the room for extra clothes, food, water, etc. The badlands gets it all done and very comfortable too.
N/A

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
here is the one i use often. i like the leather but also have a camo one a buddy got me for christmas this year.
Horse hide and hand crafted.

closer pic

sorry bout the other stuff in the pix. they were for friend who wanted to see my setup.

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 12:20:00 AM »
Neat bags guys!

Offline McGeeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
I like using the shoulder bag. It's easier to get things you need. And it makes you take a good look at what you need to take into the woods as apposed to what you do take.

By switching from a fanny pack to a possibles bag I was able to break down my gear to a 1/4 of what I used to carry. Alot easier getting through the woods with one as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©