3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ASA Tournaments? A few questions  (Read 190 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
ASA Tournaments? A few questions
« on: March 23, 2017, 09:34:00 AM »
Does anyone here shoot ASA tournaments?  

I was looking into it as that's pretty much all we have here locally and saw where they only have a "traditional" class.  In this class you can shoot recurve or longbow. No riser material specifications, you can shoot off an elevated rest, use up to a 12" stabilizer.  

I have never really dabbled with either of those, are they of great benefit?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ASA Tournaments? A few questions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »
IBO for me.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
I shoot regularly with a guy who uses a stabilizer and a rest on a metal ILF riser bow.  We regularly place #1 or #2 in the division we shoot in (old farts division, recurve).  Sometimes we both shoot in the same division; sometimes the trad division won't allow stabilizers and rests, and he shoots in an open division, but of course we always compare scores.  Sometimes he will beat me, sometimes I will beat him.  I'm sure the stabilizer and rest give him some advantage, but we are evidently close enough that it is still a toss-up.  I wouldn't change anything, because it always tickles me that I can beat him without using a stabilizer and rest, and for me, that is worth whatever advantage he might have.  I've never asked him if he feels guilty when he beats me; that's his business, I guess.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.  It's not a huge advantage, and the feeling you get when you beat someone who has superior equipment is priceless.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 08:33:00 PM »
I shoot ASA 3D events quite often.

My setup is either Traditional recurve or longbow. My objective is to always have a fine shot execution at each and every target. Have yet to accomplish that.

My focused goal is not the podium but to execute a lethal mark in the field.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Caleb Monroe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 09:22:00 PM »
Most are 25 yard max on traditional. (The one at Paris TX I went to was.) Not a huge advantage at that range. But an elevated rest and plunger do make tuning a breeze.
Sweka St. Jude Hill Style 70" 50@31"
Wild Horse Creek Condor 64" 55@31"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©