3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are you a ounce counter?  (Read 665 times)

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Are you a ounce counter?
« on: March 24, 2017, 12:34:00 AM »
The last couple of months I have been going through my aging backcountry gear seeing whats still good and what need improvement. Personally I have never been much of a ounce counter but as I get older some of the new light weight gear sure looks appealing. The lack of durablity of most light weight gear and more so "price" of geeting durabilty have dictated quaility for me. I'm sure my tent and sleeping bag both around 5 lbs (which were light for the day) will go another season but...I'm getting slower and older. What's your thoughts? Are you utlra light?

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are you a ounce counter?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 02:55:00 AM »
"Ultra light"?
No.
Sensible weight to necessity ratio?
Yes.
Set a "target weight" for your pack and gear for whatever duration trip you usually take (overnight/3 day/week, whatever). Look at the risk attached to failure of any of your gear components. Then start looking at cost per ounce to shave weight, and what you may be sacrificing to make that target weight.

I personally won't compromise durability of a shelter for weight. I won't compromise optical quality for weight.

All other things (sleeping system/clothing etc.) are compromises between cost/weight and durability/utility. I am willing to carry an extra 8ozs for a sleeping pad that allows me to sleep well at night. I'm not prepared to spend an extra $250 to save a pound of sleeping bag weight. I refuse to carry a pack with a dry weight over more than 5lbs.

There is a big difference between a trip where you can walk out to your rig in half a day should anything fail and a remote float or drop camp.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 06:30:00 AM »
I'm only 34 but I try to pack light when I hunt. whether I'm ground hunting or in for a 4 day hunt deep in in the hardwoods. You never know what you'll have to carry out or if you have an injury you don't want to make 2 trips to grab gear. I pack as light as possible.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 07:01:00 AM »
YES in just about any sport we, (my wife) and I do. We back pack, self contain bicycle and shoot archery and it is important to keep gear weights down.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 08:47:00 AM »
I tried to back in the day when I backpacked. As I got older, I stopped doing more strenuous activities (two back injuries just make it too uncomfortable).

I do all my hunting within a radius of less than a mile from my son's house, so weight is not a factor.
Sam

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 08:51:00 AM »
Ounces = pounds and pounds = pain.  Within reason of course

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 09:50:00 AM »
Over the last couple of years I've made big advances in weight to use. Went to a Kifaru slickbag and dropped my 0 degree bag weight in half.  Moved to Firstlite clothing and for the two sets of layering clothing for a two week hunt I've dropped my weight by 70%.
Dehydrate all of our meals and improved nutrition by a lot while saving some weight.

This is for fly in Alaska hunts where weight is limited. Backpacking would demand lighter shelter and other stuff so  you have room for food.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 09:56:00 AM »
Water is the heaviest thing you have to  carry. The more you cut in other weight, the more water you can carry.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »
Thinking about it.  My last backpack elk hunt was about four years ago. On the way out I injured my knee.

Being in my 60s, my DR advised not to do anything stupid like long distance running. I said "I don't do that" he replied "no, but you hike in the mountains with heavy loads on your back".

Today because of therapy and doing about twenty five miles a week on a stationary bike my knees and feet feel pretty good.
And I REALLY MISS elk hunting with my son.

So, I have been thinking about how much weight could I get rid of in my pack. I mean cutting down to a bare minimum, no extra clothes, lighter bag, etc.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 11:12:00 AM »
I never worried about weight, too much.  Tried to pack as light as i could, but most of my gear is not ultralight.  On longer trips, I sometimes hike/hunt out mid-trip for additional supplies. Haven't hunted in arid country, so have never packed in water, other than the day's supply.  I camp near a water source.

Turned 70 a year ago, and in the past couple of years, my hunting partner and I have hired an outfitter to pack in our gear.  We still hike in, but not with our gear on our backs.  Works for us.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 11:54:00 AM »
Always packed as lite as possible. Something you learn from being a USMC Grunt. Unfortunately living out West you better know you have water available when your going to be there in the mountains or desert. Just because the topo map says so doesn't mean it's true.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »
Yep.  I could go lighter for a lot more $ but I'm satisfied with what I have.  I don't pack hunt more than 3-4 miles from my vehicle since there's always the issue of getting the carcass out if I actually kill something.  Hunting definitely requires a few more pounds of gear over hiking since I'm moving pretty slow & still need to stay warm.  Hiking only trips, I can go a lot lighter.  A buddy and I hiked from Mammoth to Yosemite Valley over a weekend last summer (about 50 miles) and my pack was heavy at about 28# fully loaded.  His was only 18# but I slept a lot better  :)

For 3-4 days of hunting in moderately cool weather (frosty nights), I'm usually right around 30# fully loaded -- water, food, everything.  I sleep in a bivy sack and have a lightweight tarp if it rains.  The bear can adds some pounds but I figure it's worth the trouble to avoid the potential trouble with critters.

The last successful pack hunting trip I had, I got the deer and all my gear out in 2 trips.  The more weight and space I can save going in, the easier that pack-out is.

I'll be taking my oldest son (age 8) out for spring turkey in a couple weeks.  We'll probably camp about 3 miles in.  I'm the pack-horse for those trips but I can keep it under 55# of total gear for the two of us.  The thought of adding 15-20# of carcass to my haul means that I'm not all that disappointed to come home empty-handed.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 08:08:00 PM »
I'm a lightweight guy.  My bag, tent and pad together are well under 10 and about $500(tarptent notch, Enlightened Equipment Enigma and Thermarest Neoair all season).  Light doesn't have to be uncomfortable or terribly expensive.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »
When I decided to try elk hunting out west at the young age of 63, I invested in all light weight gear. Similarly like Dave, my 3700 CI pack, my two man tent ( that Dave could jump up and down in, he's at least 6') and my wood stove all weigh right around 10#, with my sleeping bag, it probably comes in around 12-13# I'm not sacrificing any safety as these tents have stood up to very bad weather !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 10:51:00 PM »
I'm not an ounce counter per say, but I'm cutting some things I can to keep from having to leave comfort things behind. We don't go real far in either, so I'll make a couple trips if need be! I bought a havalon knife to replace my heavy Knives of Alaska knife set, it seems like I light weighted a couple more things but I'm drawing a blank on them right now.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 12:24:00 AM »
Don't get me wrong I have always count weight where I thought I could. I done bivy systems, tarps and always had the best tent and bag I could afford. A good tent is always worth the weight IMO. That being said in the last ten years there has been some big improvements in gear. Now in my younger years I had been know to hike in preseason and dig cold boxes where I wanted to spike out. I would fill it with potateos, squash, onions, goodies and even beer a few days before hunting season. The advantagies of hunting and scouting near home. Of couse at that age I could hall out a 1/2 elk no problem in one load. This year I have been able to purchase some titanium cookwear some first light and kuiu gear. The wife is saying okay on a good sleeping system so I think this year its going to be much nicer and lighter. Then agian a fresh killed grouse with fresh garden veggies pairs very well with a good Hefe Weisse    :goldtooth:

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 10:31:00 AM »
No I am not but thought it funny when a backcountry guy was saying how people bash a product cause its weight or its not lightweight, ounce counters, and he says they themselves are 25lbs or more overweight.

Most time I am floating so not worried too much about weight.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »
I think about it like this.  I've got just so much time or energy to expend.  That means lighter weight saves both for the hunt, not the pack in.  As said before, I do not apply that to optics, as in the long run optics save time and energy.

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 12:39:00 PM »
I'm now in my 60's with 40+ years of backpacking, mountain hunting experience. I appreciate the advances in equipment, it makes it possible for me to continue to enjoy the Backcountry. My knees thank me for every ounce I cut out.

A little due diligence reading reviews on some of the backpacking sites can help you decide if those few ounces are worth it.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 04:24:00 PM »
I am to a degree.  I look for gear that offers the best value and utility for the weight/bulk.  Sometimes that means ultralight gear, sometimes that means mid weight, and sometimes I value the durability or utility of an item enough that the weight doesn't matter.  I am very picky about WHAT I pack in and WHY I am hauling it in.  Not all of my gear is ultralight but all of it absolutely must earn it's keep.

For instance:
1) Water - this is a must have and goes on EVERY trip to the woods be it day hike or backpacking trip.  It needs a container: the lightest way to carry it is in a thin, plastic 20oz bottle.  The downside to that is it can't be heated in that container for cooking or warm drinks in winter or sterilized by boiling.  Often stainless containers are recommended for cooking in for durability.  A Nalgene bottle and Ti nesting cup are common on backpacking trails as they work well.  My preferred water vessel is the Heavy Cover Ti canteen kit.  It holds slightly more water than a Nalgene at 1oz less weight, the canteen and cup can be cooked in and placed directly in fire or on coals (no stove needed), they work seamlessly with most canteen carriers, they hug closer to the body than a Nalgene, they will last a lifetime.  I could carry water a little lighter, but not with as much utility.  I could have a less expensive setup but not with as much utility for the same weight.  Since this goes out evert time, I invested in it.

2) Binoculars: I like smaller lighter binoculars because they work plenty fine and have less mass

3) Bow: I'm carrying what I like because I like it and I don't care what it weighs

4) Sleeping gear: its easy to drop a lot of weight quickly here and it doesn't always cost a lot.  Hammock and small tarp vs tent: if your in trees you can shed POUNDS over a tent, sleep pad, and bag, cut volume, and still have acceptable shelter and warmth...no brainer IF there are trees where your at to hang from

5) Knives: as much as I love my customs, if I'm looking to shed weight often my handmade fixed blades get left at home in lieu of a $15 Mora Companion...these work, hold an edge well, and are stupid light.

6) Fire prep: sometimes I pack an axe and saw...its GOOD weight.  If I plan to use them a lot I'll spend less calories hauling them in that making camp and feeding a fire without them.  The key is leave the huge axe at home and bring the 3lb boys axe and a small folding saw.  For <4lbs of pack weight you can save TONS of time and energy in the field come time to make camp and maintain a warm fire.  You could also bring less food and less water to accommodate for that more efficient tooling choice.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©