3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are wood arrows more forgiving???  (Read 2131 times)

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are wood arrows more forgiving???
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2017, 11:10:00 AM »
I saw a video of a well known survivalist that was on the show Dual Survival and he mentioned that you want the arrow to be positioned in a place so that the the grain is facing up when nocked on the string (or something along those lines). That way if the arrow does break it will break up and away from your hand.

I'll try to find the video later on.

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that some carbon arrows will make a hissing sound. I'm not sure why but I have a set of Beman Bowhunters that make a hissing sound downrange that is pretty loud to the point where others will point it out to me.

I think it has something to do with the arrows being hollow but my other set of carbons (Carbon Express Heritage) do not make any hissing sound.

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2017, 04:09:00 PM »
Forest, have you checked your feathers? My arrows only hiss if the glue/quill become separated in the middle (even if the ends are still held firmly in place with glue). Otherwise a well tuned carbon is just as quiet as anything else.

While making wooden arrows, especially with self nocks, I always tried to arrange the grain perpendicular to the string for better durability against splitting. However I've never heard of that being used to prevent any other sort of arrow failure.

Admittedly though, I'm always skeptical of "survival archery". They play by different rules and some of the stuff I've read/heard has been quite inaccurate as far as practiced archery is concerned. For instance one fellow tried to suggest that only green wood can make a usable bow and that once it dries it should be replaced. Not so sure about that!

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2017, 06:42:00 PM »
If you flare out of the grain towards the end of the arrow, if the eye of the grain is pointed towards the point, a breakage would tend to lift above the hand. if the grain does not have flare out and runs continuous, it is of little concern and the shaft can be shot out of either a left hand or right hand bow.

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2017, 06:54:00 PM »
Handling, My arrows are 27" bop. I hunt with a back quiver. Another here has the same draw as me and hunts with a back quiver.  Those full length carbons are the biggest pain in the butt possible for him when he has to follow me through cover and they look goofy as well, sticking way out like that.  He has to do a double grab to get them into action.  I handle my arrows by the nock, front loaded carbons are too clumsy to do that and are handled by the shaft.  "Getting that second arrow out of the quiver and onto the bowstring will pay off in bowhunting." JS. That especially applies to rabbit and pheasant hunting, a very practical thing to expect with net and near net wood arrows, not very doable with extra long carbon arrows.  An old beat up wood arrow is more forgiving of you when you turn it into a small game arrow, they understand and are happy to take on the new task.

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2017, 10:29:00 AM »
Anyone also notice that you can have a wood shaft that is slightly bent and still flies well? If I have a wood shaft that is not laser straight, it doesn't bother me, it will still shoot.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »
I prefer wood....I never understand the mystery and avoidance of wood shafts for traditional equipment.  I find them easy to straighten, seal, fletch, etc...  I dont sit around hand straightening my douglas fir shafts every week and are fairly durable as well.  The benefits of aesthetics, feel, tradition, etc outweighs any benefit from aluminum or carbon.  

To me it is like using loose black powder, flint, patches and balls in a blackpowder rifle....yes it is not as accurate, more problematic, etc...but some things SHOULD BE more difficult in my opinion...and you learn to hunt within your abilities and hunt closer or use field or woodsmanship to make up for the parts lacking in equipment.  

I tend to think most of the people frustrated are OVER COMPLICATING it and not sure if they are primarily compound shooters or target competition shooters that are used to looking at every grain of weight, and perfection in everything for high level accuracy and competition.  Myself...I left compounds to get away from that crap....keep it simple.  Funny how guys are still killing elk, sheep, grizzly, moose, whitetail, etc with selfbows, cane or dogwood shafts, trade or knapped points.....where the bow is not fast, the arrows are not light nor are they perfectly straight, and they are still very deadly.  

Makes me chuckle when guys say that you need this level of perfection in material and accuracy to be successful. LOL
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
I agree 100% Brock.

There's no point in me shooting traditional if I'm worried about additional penetration from using a modern material like carbon. It's similar to trying to increase the acceleration of a classic muscle car by using a high tech engine, the latest tires, and other modern stuff.

No matter what you do it's always going to pale in comparison to the latest and greatest in technology (compounds, crossbows, and rifles).

I'm a diehard kinda guy, if I'm gonna go trad I'm gonna go all the way. No point in half assing things.

I feel bad for the guys that use carbon arrows and do not make their own bows and other gear. They are missing out on a HUGE part of archery. The shooting aspect of traditional archery is only a small part of it.

That being said I have seen guys get their wooden arrows up to par with carbon arrows in terms of straightness and even surpass them in terms of weight consistency.

Some people complain about it being time consuming but that's the whole point of making your own gear including arrows, it's a timeless craft that is highly rewarding and is skillful. It is going against the grain of the whole modern industrialized bigger better faster lifestyle that is downright depressing, unfulfilling, and destroying humanity.

I don't know about you guys but when I start to shave and shape wood it puts me in a meditative state. Plus there's just something magical about turning something so beautiful that occurs in nature (wood) into an arrow or bow.  

You reconnect with your past ancestors when you make your own arrows and bows as well.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2017, 01:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by forestdweller:
I'm a diehard kinda guy, if I'm gonna go trad I'm gonna go all the way. No point in half assing things.  
This gives indications I'm not so sure I can support. I agree with the benefits you listed, and I am a wood user. But I dont know how well the rest of the crowd are going to take being called half assers, if they use aluminum or carbons or dont shave their own bows...lol!

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2017, 01:27:00 PM »
I always have people telling me that wood arrows are way to inconsistent weight, that is why I posted those pictures, 570 grains X's2 equals 1140 grains. I made up a dozen Surewood shafts and all was 568 to 572 grains. If someone that paicky about weight, maybe they should not be shooting traditional. I have found similar inconsistencies in carbon shafts.
 For me, shooting and making my own wooden arrows is just a small part of the traditional experience that I am looking for. Shooting and hunting traditional only means shooting a long bow or recurve bow without sights, making and shooting wooden arrows and sharpening my own broadheads. I did shoot carbon arrows for a while but never did I feel that it was traditional. But for some people, shooting carbons is their definition of traditional. I will say this, when I shot carbons, I would fling one without care of loosing or damaging it. But with wooden arrows, I am slightly more careful on what I am shooting at. That's not because I am afraid of damaging it, Its because of all the work and love that I put into building it! Haha! And besides, a wooden arrow is so quiet compared to shooting a carbon arrow.

Its good to see a strong support for wooden arrows
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2017, 03:47:00 PM »
I think you meant 568 and not 668, nice arrows, but when I get too fancy, I get too careful. I ain't shootin' nutin' pretty at dem pheasants.  I am still looking for the ultimate forgiving wood arrow, the one that willingly flies around that annoying branch that always seems to get in between me and the deer.

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2017, 03:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shadowhnter:

Originally posted by forestdweller:
This gives indications I'm not so sure I can support. I agree with the benefits you listed, and I am a wood user. But I dont know how well the rest of the crowd are going to take being called half assers, if they use aluminum or carbons or dont shave their own bows...lol! [/b]
Nobody is a half asser if they use carbon or aluminum arrows or even fiberglass, carbon, or foam laminated bows.

What I meant by using the word "half ass" was that when I do things I like to go all the way with it that's all.

I misused the word and should of said that I like to go all the way with what I'm doing. It was not meant to be derogatory at all.

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2017, 04:10:00 PM »
Well now, last year I got way half assed and put a bow sight on a recurve and shot some arrows from 20 to 30 yards.  I also shot a bunch of differing arrows from several longbows at those same ranges and a bunch out at point on for the individual bow.  I was a little upset by how little difference arrow weight made, within reason, to flight and trajectory.  I was also surprised and a little upset, after I built two dozen perfect arrows for a particular bow, that I shot arrows that by all practical reasoning were too heavy and too stiff for that bow, would send arrows that flew nice and straight into the same pile at the same distance, which was much further than anyone would to shoot a deer.  Some arrow materials get too stiff too quick and are difficult to gauge, while others if they are too soft in spine get difficult to gauge.  If we stay within reason on spine and weight, things work out.  It is when we start adding a bunch of goofy variables that things go amuck.  By goofy varibles, one fellow here shot full length carbons so he wanted to get full length woods, so he ordered the stiffest woods he could get.  He was up to 300 grain heads and they still wouldn't fly.  I handed him some 27"bop 45 tapered cedars to try, with his about 45 pound r/d at his true 26 and something draw.  He got mad as hell at me, he claimed that he had a 28 plus draw and that his bow was actually 4 pounds heavier than marked.  He was wrong on both counts and my 45@27" bop arrows flew flawless from his bow.

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »
Pretty disheartening to see such negativity towards others.

I don't build and shoot longbows because they're "traditional", I do so because they're the best bang for my buck. Same with carbons. It's my money and what I use does that job quite well without costing much.

We can talk about "tradition" until the cows come home but we're all sitting at computers. Come on. This is just a hobby. Heck, longbows are my career. They pay my bills and keep food on the table. It's been traditional archery 24/7-365 for the last six plus years. Should I quit because I'm only "half ass-ing" it? Of course not, that's just silly.

We're better than this.

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
I think you meant 568 and not 668, nice arrows, but when I get too fancy, I get too careful. I ain't shootin' nutin' pretty at dem pheasants.  I am still looking for the ultimate forgiving wood arrow, the one that willingly flies around that annoying branch that always seems to get in between me and the deer.
Yes, you are correct. Sorry for the typo there. And the point that I am trying to point out is the fact that everyone has their own definition on what traditional means to themselves. For me, it is what I stated. I haven't shot field points in years. I hunt with broadheads and practice with broadheads. And we all have had those tree pop up between us and the deer. That's bow hunting.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2017, 07:54:00 PM »
The second most under-used phrase on any forum is "for me only". The most under-used statement is "you should do it as you prefer".

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2017, 09:12:00 PM »
Before supper I shot one Surewood arrow 60 times at my deer target, right handed, I most of the time shoot left handed these days. I need to get in more walking for my SI joint injury.  By rights that particular bow should be shooting 5 pounds less spine.  From varied shot positions from 10 to 24 yards.  I never missed the kill zone even once. Dang wood arrows anyway. Oh yes, that wood arrow was a bop net length broadhead arrow.  That is very difficult to achieve for under 27" draw lengths from Hill style bows with carbon arrows, but easy to pull off with wood arrows. Being able to tag that head with my finger is a very large part of my shooting control.

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2017, 12:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by KeganM:
Pretty disheartening to see such negativity towards others.

I don't build and shoot longbows because they're "traditional", I do so because they're the best bang for my buck. Same with carbons. It's my money and what I use does that job quite well without costing much.

We can talk about "tradition" until the cows come home but we're all sitting at computers. Come on. This is just a hobby. Heck, longbows are my career. They pay my bills and keep food on the table. It's been traditional archery 24/7-365 for the last six plus years. Should I quit because I'm only "half ass-ing" it? Of course not, that's just silly.

We're better than this.
People do things for different reasons Kegan. I shoot traditional because it requires more skill (more rewarding), is a craft that is actually useful in the real world, and because it reconnects me with my past ancestors. It's a step away from modern society. It's an art form and a sport and I can use this skill to feed me and my family.

While I agree that we do use computers and other technology I do believe that there is a "middle way" in which we can try to make most of our activities as traditional as possible if that's what one wants in their life.

I do not see it as being hypocritical to shoot traditional archery and live a primarily traditional life style yet use modern technology to a certain degree (I try to keep it minimalist myself).  Because on the other hand you could just go full out modern and live on the computer, buy and use the latest smart phones, buy the latest cars, and literally go crazy with modernism but that's not what this is about.

It's taking a step away from the modern fast paced industrialized world and doing something that takes time, effort, does not give instant results, is a craft, and reconnects you with the past.

I mean no disrespect but if what you said is true than why is there are a large group of people following a primal blueprint lifestyle? Most people in the paleo diet and lifestyle movement use computers and modern technology but again it's all about balance.

Finally brother, I am terrible when it comes to my usage of words so please forgive me. I had no intention of saying that anyone else was half assing anything. What I meant to say was that I like to go all of the way with doing the things that I do as I find it more rewarding.

I think that it's amazing that you are able to make a living selling longbows, I have seen your work and it is great. No disrespect intended my friend and I wish you and your business well!

Originally posted by pavan:
Well now, last year I got way half assed and put a bow sight on a recurve and shot some arrows from 20 to 30 yards.  I also shot a bunch of differing arrows from several longbows at those same ranges and a bunch out at point on for the individual bow.  I was a little upset by how little difference arrow weight made, within reason, to flight and trajectory.  I was also surprised and a little upset, after I built two dozen perfect arrows for a particular bow, that I shot arrows that by all practical reasoning were too heavy and too stiff for that bow, would send arrows that flew nice and straight into the same pile at the same distance, which was much further than anyone would to shoot a deer.  Some arrow materials get too stiff too quick and are difficult to gauge, while others if they are too soft in spine get difficult to gauge.  If we stay within reason on spine and weight, things work out.  It is when we start adding a bunch of goofy variables that things go amuck.  By goofy varibles, one fellow here shot full length carbons so he wanted to get full length woods, so he ordered the stiffest woods he could get.  He was up to 300 grain heads and they still wouldn't fly.  I handed him some 27"bop 45 tapered cedars to try, with his about 45 pound r/d at his true 26 and something draw.  He got mad as hell at me, he claimed that he had a 28 plus draw and that his bow was actually 4 pounds heavier than marked.  He was wrong on both counts and my 45@27" bop arrows flew flawless from his bow.
I agree with your findings. We have been led to believe that we need to put out the big bucks to buy the latest cut past center carbon laminated mass production bows, carbon arrows with laser straight nocks, and all the other "traditional" doo dad's that are being sold to be accurate or hell, even hit the broad side of a barn.

Honestly, what's funny is that I got into making bow's not too long ago because I wanted to make my own laminated bow eventually and wanted to learn the basics first. I was led to believe by the big "traditional" bow company's and others that were led to believe the same thing that shooting a selfbow accurately is impossible because of many different factors. I was also led by the carbon and aluminum arrow manufacturers to believe the same thing.

After making my first board bow though I have to tell you I fell in love with the process of making the simplest of bows. I was led to believe that you'd need this tool, that tool, and you'd have to read 5 books minimum on the subject before getting started, and you'd screw up a bunch of times breaking bows but honestly it's all untrue.

It's all a simple straightforward process. Simple to learn hard to master.

The main reason for my posts in this thread on wooden arrows is not to piss people off, it's because I do not want others to be misled like I was thinking that you need to buy the latest and greatest in "traditional" archery bows, arrows, and other equipment just to be able to shoot halfway decently.

It's simply all untrue and has been propaganda by marketing.

I really admire everyone on here for being apart of traditional archery. And trust me I'd love to sit down on a nice spring or summer day and drink a few beers with you guys while harvesting trees and making self bows and toying with wooden arrows.

Like I said it's A LOT of fun and since I have started in this adventure of making my own bows, arrows, and so on I'd have to say that the shooting aspect itself is really only a small part of traditional archery.

I do apologize if I come off as an ******* at times or arrogant but sometimes it gets difficult for me because I love traditional archery so much that I get too single minded and get too intense and lose focus of what I'm saying while I'm typing up a post.

No harm intended and I wish you all well!

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2017, 05:18:00 AM »
No harm here John, me being from Delaware, knows how  us east-coasters speak!! LOL, Joking. I am actually glad to see your interest in traditional archery and welcome the challenge of it.

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2017, 11:18:00 AM »
I just hate to see division in our archery community. We're all on different points in our own personal journeys, with sometimes very different destinations. That's the trouble with the internet. We're often alone, not face to face. It's not just a small group either, the whole world can see what's written for years to come. We don't have the benefit of facial expression or inflection to help convey our meaning; we have to rely solely on plain text most of the time. It's tough.

I think it's fantastic that everyone can enjoy archery in so many ways. The wide variations to the simple bow and arrow are just amazing and it's wonderful to share in the joy of someone with a passion for something. I grew up poor in an angry, anti-social family. Selfbows and wooden arrows were all I could afford and they kept me out of the house. As an adult my wife and I don't have those struggles and I can spend some money and time as I'd like. I still live for archery and time in the woods, but do enjoy a newer truck as well as a smart phone (gift from the wife). I enjoy archery all the more because I don't have to do it any certain way, and now I can enjoy every way I'd like.

To grow the traditional community and sense of family that goes with it would be a wonderful thing. It's just such a great sport that can be shared with almost everyone. I'm still amazed that such a simple, timeless instrument can have such a massive impact on our entire race. We're all in this together.

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
Not only that, wood arrows are more forgiving.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©