3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String Length for my Jack Harrison Black Wolfe LB  (Read 284 times)

Offline docdnj

• Trad Bowhunter
String Length for my Jack Harrison Black Wolfe LB
« on: March 26, 2017, 07:54:00 PM »
I have a 1999 Jack Harrison 68" TD Longbow 55#@28" Experimental BW Protoype 1of1 3rd.Generation I had 3 strings made  and one just wore out and cannot find the other 2 I purchased from Leo Markert who passed away back I believe in 09.

Does anyone know what the length the string should be ? 65" 3" shorter but can't find any information
Jack swore by continuous loop and no twisting fast flight brace height 5 1/2 -6 1/2

Appreciate
 Doc DeCaro
President
Traditional Archers of NewJersey

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: String Length for my Jack Harrison Black Wolfe LB
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 11:20:00 PM »
I don't see why a 65" string wouldn't work .
Longbows are 3" shorter than the amo .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 11:41:00 PM »
Harrisons do not use AMO as a reference for string length. My 66" HHS uses a 59" string. My 64" HHS used a 58 7/8" string.

Leo (Rest his soul) would traditionally send three strings, whichever one fit best became the template and you returned it with the other two. He would then build however many strings you wanted based on the template string.

If you don't have a string to use as a template, you will have to get creative with some paracord and a bowstringer to determine a starting point, or find a stringmaker who is willing to send you a few strings to try out.

You are correct that FF continuous loop strings are preferred for Harrisons, and brace height is VERY finicky on these bows. A few twists are not a big deal for final tuning. It was when endless loops were twisted like Flemish style strings that   Leo would pop a gasket.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline TexasKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 05:14:00 PM »
Hey Doc, Justin Newell just ask d me to pass along his email address
He has several strings for your bow....
[email protected]

Offline docdnj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 10:12:00 PM »
I apprecite your kind reply and will contact Justin. I think I remember where I have one string that Leo made where the top loop serving unraveled I will contact him tomorrow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©