3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody hunted exotics in Texas?  (Read 387 times)

Offline elksticker

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody hunted exotics in Texas?
« on: March 27, 2017, 06:44:00 PM »
Looking for a place in Texas to hunt exotics.  I'm interested in eland.  May try others but would like a fun hunt that isn't just killing something.  Appreciate any information from someone who has tried it.  Thanks

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody hunted exotics in Texas?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 07:11:00 PM »
Just did a quick internet search and it looks like it may be cheaper to just go to Africa     :eek:    Texas exotics can get really pricy if their behind a high fence.Wish I could be more help.Bisch gets around here a lot, maybe he knows something better.I wish you luck!    :thumbsup:
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 07:28:00 PM »
Way too much $$$ to hunt anything in Texas IMO...it's gotten bad

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 09:43:00 AM »
X2 on the above two posters remarks. I just left Texas from a month long winter visit with a Marine buddy who is paralyzed from being wounded in Viet Nam.  He gets to hunt a couple of ranches at no charge and we spoke about this very subject.  He said there is even a high price to pay to hunt the hated "hog" that does so much damage.

But if you have the funds and it is on your bucket list, I say go for it.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 09:52:00 AM »
Went several times years ago. Killed a black buck, a corsican ram (sheep), axis buck and several hogs. It was very reasonable then. Not sure what the prices are today. We went to Morris Chalmers Ranch close to Hondo. Great accommodations and we had a very good time. He used to have a website but I am not finding it.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 12:03:00 PM »
African critters like eland are not on a lot of ranches, and most of the ones that have them are pretty pricey. I have not looked at them in a while, but I do agree with the above posted who suggested a trip to Africa would be comparable, or not too much more. I will add this though; most of the places that have African critters are very nice, all-inclusive type places, and you SHOULD not have to worry about anything if you book a hunt with one of them (that being said, I do not have personal experience with any of the Texas ranches that sell African critter hunts).

I just looked at some places online, and it seems an eland hunt here would cost you about $7000, give or take a bit. I know for a fact you can go to Africa and kill an eland and several other critters with top notch lodging and service for that kind of money if you shop around a bit. The neat thing is that you would be in Africa doing it!!! Africa is the coolest place on earth for a hunter!

Good luck whichever way you go!

Bisch

P.S. - I forgot to mention that eland tenderloin is the best piece of meat on the planet, and each tenderloin from the one my buddy killed weighed over 7lbs!!!

Offline elksticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »
Thanks for all the responses so far.  I have found a couple of places that were half of that price and best of all you can keep the meat.  But it doesn't tell you much about what kind of hunt it is.  Sure would be nice to hear from someone who has been there.    Thanks

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 09:40:00 AM »
It may be worth the money to have a freezer full of eland.  

Simply fantastic table fare.
Inquiring minds.......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©