3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Light - What do you carry?  (Read 490 times)

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Light - What do you carry?
« on: March 27, 2017, 07:41:00 PM »
I feel like I carry too much.  Being an ex Boy Scout, I have the "be prepared" motto drilled into me -- even to the point of some redundancies (like firestarting tools).  So I'm rethinking my setup for being out all day -- before dawn to after dusk.  My day pack can be upwards of 10+ pounds.  The idea of carrying just a back quiver baffles me a bit.  Here's what I've got:

1. 22L day pack
2. First aid & fire starting bag - easily fits in a quart-sized ziplock.  I could probably strip this down more since I use it for backpacking & day trips with the kids.
3. Food -- lunch & 3 snacks for a full day out.  I eat a lot.  Always have.
4. Water -- 2-3 quarts in a hydration bladder, depending on the weather, duration & length of the hike (this is my biggest weight).
5. Clothing layers -- worn in the cooler hours but carried most of the day.
6. Small foam pad to sit on.
7. small knife sharpener -- butterfly style, only when deer hunting since I'll need to touch up once or twice in the process.
8. map & small compass -- just a basic one usually since I'm pretty familiar with the areas I hunt.
9. basic monocular - nothin' fancy.
10. Cloth game bag
11. Misc. small items - extra nock, license, TP, light kife (skeletonized fixed blade)  etc.
12. Water filter -- Sawyer mini filter system, usually just during warmer weather when I know I'll need to refill during the day.  I'll often leave this out.  But including it lets me take less water.

All that only fits in my backpack if I strap the clothing to the outside.  I'm curious what all of you carry (or would carry) for being out, away from any supplies for a day's hunt.  Assume you're going to be at least a couple miles away from a vehicle or camp & not returning until after dark.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Light - What do you carry?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 08:44:00 PM »
These days I'm a half day hunter. I'm always trying to pare back. I started carring a haversack vs pack to keep my load down. I'm usually walking in about a mile on public land. A mile and a half tops.

I carry a Waldrop pack seat - if you not familiar with this seat you should check it out. It's basically a folding seat that doubles as a pack frame. I strap my wool outer layer, anybextra clothes and extra hat to the frame. My haversack carries on my right side. In it I carry: FAK / tp, bow hanger, 20oz water bottle, extra glasses, extra glove, Bleat call, grunt call, Binoculars, back tag, Snack bag - sandwich, snickers, trail mix,folding saw, pruner, bright eye makers. Gut bag -gutting gloves, Wyoming knife, paper trail markers, leatherman, deer drag, alcohol wipes.

In my cargo pockets I carry extra gloves, neck gator, face mask.

On my belt I carry a schade folder. In my breast shirt pocket license, driver license, Bic lighter, credit card, $20, small zip lock - cotton balls in Vaseline. I carry my car key on a lanyard around my neck with an emergency whistle. Cell phone in my pocket.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline bgbuck153

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 09:49:00 PM »
Check out Zebra lights..... get the rechargeable one it lasts forever and numerous light levels.
model # ZLH600w Mk 2 H600

I used one charged battery in idaho last year for an 8 day hunt. I used it for an hour minimum in the morning then 2 hours if not more in the evenings and all that on 1 charge. It's a head lamp and doubles as a handheld. BRIGHT is an understatement when on high and on low it lasts like 3+ months of continues use on one charge.

For a knife I use outdoor edge razor -blaze knife. I did an elk with 2 blades
Bgbuck153

Online Bluefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 11:29:00 PM »
I use a small Bass Pro Shops day pack to carry these items.
3 liters of water
Small first aid kit
Headlamp
10'x10' sil nylon tarp
packable rain gear
fire starter and lighter + waterproof matches
ziplock baggie of trail mix and jerky
in colder weather a 25 degree sleeping bag that compresses to the size of a grapefruit

Knife, compass, etc go on my belt and in my pockets.

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 11:37:00 PM »
Sort of depends for me. If it's my normal hunting lease, it's pretty basic. I have a Princeton Tec headlight, lighter, knife, water, compass, and that's about it. I do have some first aid stuff, Benadryl, band aids, alcohol swabs, etc. If it's an unfamiliar place I throw in a GPS. If I plan to be out all day I take a few snacks. I always bring a roll of flagging tape to mark bloodtrail if I happen to shoot something.

Offline Fat Clyde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 11:37:00 PM »
1 Camelbak Havok
2 Firesteel medicine bottle with cottonballs     rolled in Vaseline.
3 Apple/Tuna/jerky
4 water 2ltr
5  Clothing for the season
6 whatever seat is in the stand I'm sitting
7  Fine grit sandpaper and back of my belt for sharpening.
8  map & compass
9  small glass's
11 Toilet paper, small fixed blade neck knife belt knife 4" blade.
12 I dont carry a purifier on day hunts but I use a katadyn hiker for long trips.

I generally hunt my own farm so I can generally drag out anything I shoot. Id cut weight in the fire kit by replacing it with knowledge an practice using a fire steel. Other than that I dont see a lot different.
Arise, kill, and eat.

Online gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 09:23:00 AM »
Alot of the boyscout necessary stuff that one will probably never use, I actually keep in a caches by my public land spots.  

Like, my river bottom canoe access spot, I keep a fire building kit and a change of dry clothes and a pair of cheap cheap cheap shoes.  Just in case I get swamped. All fits in a 3' piece of 4" PVC, capped and threaded on both ends.  Preseason prep....I'd rather carry minimal but of course....You gotta be prepared.  

My favorite flashlights are 5.11 TMT Plx lights.  I get them for 20.00 from Amazon and keep them in my vehicles as well as everyday carry. My daily carry has been in service for 6years now and a pair of AAA batteries last 4-5months.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 09:32:00 AM »
Black Diamond Spot for a head lamp and one of those small aluminum LED lights that are as bright and hell.
T ZZZZ

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 10:12:00 AM »
I am always amused to look at old pictures of guys like Fred Bear and Glen St. Charles heading out in Alaska with nothing more than their bow and arrows and maybe what they carried in their pockets.  How times have changed.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 12:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
I am always amused to look at old pictures of guys like Fred Bear and Glen St. Charles heading out in Alaska with nothing more than their bow and arrows and maybe what they carried in their pockets.  How times have changed.
Of course, the very fact that we "observed" such behavior by guys like Fred Bear is because he had a camera crew.  If a guy has a camera crew, he ain't packin' all his own stuff.  Coincidentally, another man named Bear (Grylls) takes this to another extreme.
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by tracker12:
Black Diamond Spot for a head lamp and one of those small aluminum LED lights that are as bright and hell.
Yes - forgot that item in my list.  Goes with me everywhere.  Also forgot a simple frogg togg rain shell.  Even when it's in the 100s at home, there's still a chance of rain or hail up at 8,000' where I hunt deer.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 12:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by gvdocholiday:
Alot of the boyscout necessary stuff that one will probably never use, I actually keep in a caches by my public land spots.  

Never considered caching.  Not a bad idea for some of the extra supplies I've accumulated over the years.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©