3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 450+ and 453 String Material, Hate it !!!  (Read 688 times)

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
450+ and 453 String Material, Hate it !!!
« on: October 31, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
HI Guys,
I have broken two strings on two different bows, one long , one recurve that were made out of 450+ and 452 material. Both strings were shot less than a year. I had heard from others that this material will break unexpectedly. This came from string makers too. I am done with it ! Give me some good ole 8125. Had nothing but good results out of 8125. Just wanted to share this with everyone in case you were thinking of one of the 450 series materials.
  :banghead:  
nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 450+ and 453 String Material, Hate it !!!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
Heck i got a few bows with 450+ made by a TGr works great for me. matter a fact think I might need a few more. Sorry to hear ya had trouble with it jim.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
I have shot lots of bows with 452x & 450plus you must be mistaken as these are two of the best and longest lasting string materals of all time you must be cutting your stings on somthing as this materal is very strong and tough and durable   :banghead:
Gord

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
Nope, not mistaken. One was a 452 on a Shrew recurve, the other a 450+ on a Griffin longbow. Both strings were brand new when I got them about 8 months ago. I shoot both bows about the same, so each string really only had about 4-5 months of shooting on them. Only 3 D shooting and backyard, so not much chance of any damage to the strings. Besides, I check them every time I shoot, wax them, and check brace height before I shoot each time. One broke about 8" down from the top loop, ( Recurve ), the other broke about 4" below my ring finger. Both times I had been shooting around 20-30 shots when they broke.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 05:48:00 AM »
Jim did you make the strings or buy them from someone? I love 450+ and never had a issue with it.><>

TGMM

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 07:42:00 AM »
That's a new one on me too.  I don't use 452x, and haven't shot 450+ on a bow in a long time (I like Dynaflight '97), but when I did shoot it I had no problems, and have never had anyone contact me about a problem.

Shoot an e-mail to Ray Browne at [email protected] --I think he'd want to know about this, and possibly examine the strings that broke.

Chad

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 08:04:00 AM »
How many strands? I have one on my bow right now that I've been using since 1999!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 08:06:00 AM »
I've been shooting the 450+ for going on 2 years now and have never had a problem. One of my bows still has the original 450+ string on it I made for it a year and a half ago with no signs of wear. Like Chad said get a hold of Ray and see what he says. 450 is some tough stuff!
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
sticshooter, these were brand new strings that came on the Shrew and Griffin bows....

Thanks Chad for the suggestion, I may do that. I do not have the old Shrew string, finally threw it away a few months back.

Tom, not sure how many strands, but appeared to by pretty standard, 14/18 or 12/16 padded loops.

I am just a little skittish after breaking two in 6 months time and hearing from a VERY experienced string maker who said he would never use any of the 450 series materials. Got a nice little arm/wrist burn I am nursing this mornin too ! Thanks for all the info guys !

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »
Please do contact Ray about this.  I know that if I make a goof I want to know about it--I can't fix it if I don't know.

I'm going to talk to the most experienced string maker I know (Rod Jenkins) and see if he's heard of this happening.  He's the only guy I know that's made more strings than I have, and I know Rod has made a bunch of 450+ strings.

Can't blame you for being gunshy--I'd probably be the same way--but I know that now and then some weird things can happen.

Chad

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
On the one that broke below the ring finger, I'd wonder if it was hitting something on your arm guard or something. Don't know about the other one. It is a synthetic though, so I wonder if a bad batch got out. It's just so unusual and definitely not typical. I can also understand being gun shy too. You're only gonna let that snake bite you so many times, eh?
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Deadeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
There is a spider that eats that stuff.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »
I keep swaping my 450+ strings from bow to bow.  I don't think I've ever worn one out.  It's the only string material that I use.  I make mine 10 strands...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
Tom, the only thng it could possibly rub on my bow arm is SKIN !!! When it broke I lost some SKIN !!! I wear nothing on my bow arm.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
I love 450+ and have never had a problem.  In fact, I have some 450+ strings that are several years old, get regular of use, and still look as good as new as long as I keep them waxed.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
Jimmy, I'm a big fan of TS+, holler and I'll see if I have one the right length to send you to try out.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »
Mine are 6 or 8 strands of 450+ I think and had padded loops. Were your string loops padded?  Check the string grooves on the bows. <><

TGMM

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
I have broken a ff string or two in the past . My problem was that I was always moving my (metal) Nock around on my string trying to super fine tune it  . I guess pinching that string over and over and in such a small area weakend the string plus shooting the crap out of it every day .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 06:40:00 PM »
I was able to speak with John Mccullough today and he is going to send me some D97 strings. JC, thanks for the offer, you da man !!!

sticshooter, it broke 4-6" below my ring finger, so it could not be the nocks. My other string off my Shrew recurve broke about 10" down from the top loop so it could not be the nock either. Loops are padded on both strings too.

This is what I love about this site the most.... Lots of good help ! Thanks to everyone on this thread for trying to help me as well as posting your opinions. Hopefully, I am wrong about the 450 series materials, maybe I got a bad batch or something. I know one thing, I am gun shy of it right now. When a string breaks at full draw on a 60lb bow stuff happens !!!   :scared:  

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
Strings breaking at full draw will make your shorts warm for sure! You may be gun shy right now but don't count out 450. It's a great material! Good Luck!
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©