3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: One bow + 3 different strings = ?  (Read 510 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
One bow + 3 different strings = ?
« on: April 01, 2017, 09:45:00 AM »
So for some of the new guys getting into Trad this is some info I wish I would have known when I got going.

If you have one bow and three strings made of different materials or even just different amounts of each material how many bows do you have?  The answer is three different bows.

I wish I would have known that years ago. I have sold a few bows I know I would have liked if only I would have done a little string experimenting. The different string material can change a bows manners and even it's performance.

When you get a new bow invest a little more in a few different strings for it.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: One bow + 3 different strings = ?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 09:49:00 AM »
Good point I agree.the string can make a huge difference

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 09:54:00 AM »
Ten ring and sbd have supped up my bows and there is a difference.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 10:20:00 AM »
Very true TJ.  I've had bows that I didn't care to shoot that became sweet with a good string.  Usually switching from a "factory" dacron to a well made "FF" material will make a big difference.  Different materials may also make a difference, although not usually as much up front.  

Proper tuning will also make a big difference.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 10:29:00 AM »
Excellent point.  Thanks for bringing that up.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 01:33:00 PM »
Great point Tom!    :thumbsup:
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 01:59:00 PM »
:archer:  

Great point Tom.

Just last week I had a customer email me after his new string arrived that I built him. He said, "my arrows were tuned perfectly with my old string. Now they are tuning weak."

He asked if I had ever head of such thing. I said, "absolutely"!  The string I built him was abviously performing better, and thus showing his arrows as weak.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 10:30:00 AM »
No question about it. I have an old Kodiak that I really like to shoot. I shoot it with dacron a lot of the time. Still I beefed up the tips a little so I can also use fast flite plus on it and it makes it an entirely different bow that requires a different arrow to shoot well.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 12:14:00 PM »
TJ, I agree and have accumulated a small string assortment for that very reason, they can keep you from "dumbing it up" badly. Less drastic that than selling a bow prematurely, they can easily bring one within the required array of point weights on hand and prevent unneeded new arrow purchases or cutting and ruining a set.

P.S. LOL, Are you still an LED flashlight junkie...i.e what's in your pocket?  I'm still totin' the same old Eagletac, but more from the standpoint of I've been lucky and haven't been on any tough blood trails that ended in failure lately.  That's usually what inspires my upgrades and I'm sure that "bigger and better" is out there!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 02:28:00 PM »
Well said TJ,I have a drawer full of about 40 strings of all types of material.But I have learned that all my bows perform best with a SBD or Ten Ring Fury strings.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 06:06:00 PM »
I roll my own and they are good strings and perform well. I see no reason to buy anyone else's strings at the present time.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
Richard, still have the same Fenix. She gets the job done.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 10:08:00 PM »
When you get down to it, there are only 3 basic types of string material.

Polyester (dacron)

HMPE (High Modulus Polyethylene, aka UHMWP, aka UHMW)

HMPE/Vectran blends

I think we all know what polyester is.  The old stand-by, safe for any bow, has the most stretch, the most creep, and least durability of any the string materials.  B-50 or B-55, the latter being a slightly higher grade of polyester with a tad less stretch and a tad better durability.

The original "Fast Flight", invented by the founders of BCY (Ray Browne and Bob Destin), still available from BCY as 652 Spectra, was the first HMPE string material and revolutionized bow strings.  Includes Dynaflight '97, 8125G, 8190, Mercury, etc.  Comes in different grades with the higher grades having a little less creep and slightly better durability.

The HMPE/Vectran blends are the industry favorite, combining very low stretch/creep with excellent stability and durability, and to me are among the quietest materials.  450 Premium (invented by Bob Destin of BCY) was the very first, followed by 450+, 452X, Trophy, and BCY-X.

Slight differences between each material in each "family" due to varying grades of HMPE and different percentages of Vectran, but in equally well made strings the difference will be small.  String construction will generally make as much or more difference than string materials, especially with the HMPE and HMPE/Vectran blends.

Point being, you don't have to go through 100 strings to find "the" one;  and on the flip side, when a particular string doesn't work for you it could be something other than the material it's made from.

I'll agree again with the original point...sometimes it can be as simple as putting on a good string to transform a dud into a shooter.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 08:05:00 AM »
Back to the point of this thread. There are many combinations of materials that can achieve different results on a given bow.  I have several strings made of fury that have B50 in the loops. Also different strand counts of the same material can give varying results with performance and sound.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 08:49:00 AM »
This is not an issue for me. When I put on a new string, I tune it in and shoot it as long as it lasts. Then, when it wears out, I do the same thing. During the life of a string, I do not experiment or compare it to other types. As long as it ain't broke, I don't fix it.
Sam

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
Back to the point of this thread. There are many combinations of materials that can achieve different results on a given bow.  I have several strings made of fury that have B50 in the loops. Also different strand counts of the same material can give varying results with performance and sound.
Very well said Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©