3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Odessa Texas hunting grounds  (Read 822 times)

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
Odessa Texas hunting grounds
« on: April 01, 2017, 07:29:00 PM »
I'm moving to Odessa in a months time and was wondering at the hunting opportunities there on public land? Deer,hogs, turkey, javelina. What else is out there?  Thanks
Gil
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Odessa Texas hunting grounds
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 09:12:00 PM »
If you are coming from Alberta, Canada to Odessa, Texas you are in for a drastic change of not only scenery but everything.

I know of no public hunting around Odessa at all. Besides about the only thing to hunt is Jack Rabbits and Road Runners.

I am truly sorry if that isn't what you wanted to hear, but if you are talking about Odessa, TX there just ain't much there. It is flat and wide open. There ain't even any big Mesquite trees. There use to be some wide open cattle ranches that would support one cow per 10 acres but too many droughts put most of them out of business years ago. It became oil country and prospered during the oil boom but much of that dried up due to Obama regulations. Not sure how things are there now.

Maybe someone who lives in the area will chime in soon. I live about 180 miles southeast of there. We have a little public land here and good deer country and I think some folks from Odessa come here to hunt. There is a high demand for the little public land we have here.
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 09:52:00 PM »
Contact Mule Creek Outfitters.  They run hunts on if I remember correct, a 50k acre tract called University Ranch just outside Odessa.  Hogs, Javies, Yotes, Deer etc.  They may be able to give you some advice and perhaps also hook you up with some fair chase hunts for reasonable pricing.

I hunted with them in 2014 for a week and had a blast, almost bagged a big boar, but lost him on the track due to a high shoulder hit.  The hunting that January wasnt ideal as it was unseasonably cold at 32F daytime 19F nights.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 04:18:00 AM »
$$$$$$$ ...Texas: Where hunting is as the oldest profession        :banghead:    
If you are moving from Alberta you are in for a rude awakening. Some of the best hunting in the nation if you have lots of money and are ok with paying.
However, if you have connections in Alberta and can work out a trade up there you will be in business!
Some of the best quail hunting in the nation though but be prepared to pay...like I was saying.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 06:36:00 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what would move someone to odessa texas?  

Since you are from Canada, I doubt you own one but I would buy a handgun and learn to use it very quickly.

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 09:35:00 AM »
Friday Night Lights?
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »
Gil,

I grew up in Odessa from 1st through 6th grade then moved to Ozona where I graduated High School and went to College in East Texas in Nacagdoches. As stated above, I know of no public land anywhere around there. Mule Creek Outfitters will be your best shot at any hunting. Mostly hogs and javi though. Think flat and no big trees. Believe it or not there are small oak trees but they are very small and do produce acorns.

Best shot at any hunting is going to be lease or day hunts for money. Some public land on the coast and around Del Rio. Also state an National Forest in East Texas.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »
You are in for a shock! You can probably take a couple weeks vacation and go elk hunting in Colorado cheaper than you can get a hunting lease. I left there in 84 when I joined the Navy and haven't looked back, but I do have a lot of good memories of hunting deer, quail, Turkey and dove growing up there!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 11:51:00 AM »
If you could make a 6 hour drive to East Tx a couple times a year the Davy Crockett NF would probably be your cheapest bet. During bow season hunting can be pretty good. Once rifle season opens you can still be successful but the woods are a little more crowded. For a day lease check out First Point Bowhunting. It's a great place. Like already mentioned, hunting in Texas is fairly expensive these days. Now that I'm planning a Colorado trip I'm a little surprised to learn I can go on an elk hunt for roughly what I pay for an annual deer lease here. And my lease is on the less expensive side of what most folks are paying in the area.

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »
Well, i am from the Philippines and moved to Alberta in Nov 2015 so the drastic change in weather is not new to me. LOL! I didn't really want to move there but my wife who is a nurse was assigned there by her agency. And if we do not move, we will lose our immigrant visa to the US.
I do sheet metal roofing here in Alberta and my boss doesn't really want me to leave and said I still have my job here if things don't work out in the states.
Odessa might not be our final location too. Maybe just finish the school year for my 9th grader and move again since my wife's assignment here is just for a few months.
I have checked out Mule Creek outfitters and its a sure bet I'll be hunting with them anytime soon.
Thanks for all the replies.
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 04:24:00 PM »
Gil,

Lots of metal roofs in Texas so you should be good to find employment there. Good luck on your move. West Texas is not that bad. Born and raised around there, although San Angelo where I was born and Ozona are much better than Odessa. The one thing I remember about Odessa is the sand storms. Cannot even see 2 feet in front of you if one of those blows in.

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 05:01:00 PM »
Gil,

Please understand it was not my intent to offend you and I apologize if I did. I thought your coming here might be job related because I couldn't understand why anyone would leave beautiful Alberta for dry hot Odessa, Texas.

I live in San Angelo which is about a 3 hour trip southeast of Odessa. We have two archery clubs here and have club shoots every month. One is the first full weekend of every month and the other is the second weekend of every month. We use to have guys come down some from Odessa to shoot but I am not sure if they have a club any more, at least a traditional one. We do have a guy that lives in Midland that comes down and shoots with us a lot. Midland is only a few miles from Odessa. They are sort of sister cities that use the same airport.

Anyway, I hope once you are settled you might be able to make it down for a shoot now and then. You are more than welcome.

P.S. I have been to the Philippines. I was there some back in the mid and late 60's during my time in the USN.

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 05:23:00 PM »
Thanks Danny.
There was a hail storm last week where my wife stays. I thought i would only see hail here in Alberta. Haha!
I also have the option of moving with my inlaws in Chicago but without my wife with me. I choose to be beside my wife. Is there any fishing at all in Odessa?

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 05:29:00 PM »
Straitshot,
No offense taken.
I am open to any input, good or bad. I hope to get to shoot with you guys when i get there.
Here in Edmonton,  i got to shoot with the guys of Alberta Traditional Bowhunters and live only 15 minutes from Jack Kempf's shop. I already have a longbow from him and he is making me a Kwikstyk to be finished just before I move.

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 05:35:00 PM »
Gil,

I hope your move to Texas goes well! While Odessa is not an Oasis, there are several areas within 2-3 hours of there that are very nice. San Angelo is a great place with several lakes (for fishing) and some public hunting lands as Louis(Straitshot) mentioned. I have shot with that group over there and they are some great guys!!
I live in the Davis mountains at McDonald Observatory and we are about 170 miles from Odessa. So there is some nice areas not to far from you when you get there...
In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »
Again, I am not Danny but will try and answer your question.

To my knowledge there are no lakes around Odessa. Most folks who live in Odessa either come here to fish or perhaps Lake Allen Henry over close to Snider, TX. or another lake reasonably close.

We have 3 lakes here but they are not always in good shape due to unusually dry seasons. They have not all been full now for many years but all currently have some water in them. One is supposed to be a constant level lake and the other two are up and down. Years ago when they were all full we were a fishing and boaters paradise.

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2017, 07:47:00 PM »
Ylee,
I hope everything goes well too.
I don't mind driving at all. Every weekend this past winter, we drive 3 or more hours to go ice fishing.
Hunting season had me seeing deer and moose but no shots.

Straitshot,
Thanks again for the valuable info. Will get in touch with you when i reach Texas soil.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 10:38:00 AM »
The only lake I remember around Odessa was in Monahans but it was salty and mostly just used for skiing and boating.

We used to go down to Del Rio every summer to fish. Back then there were two lakes there, Devils Lake and another I cannot remember the name of, both on the Devils River, both great fishing. They are now covered up by Lake Amistad also good fishing there. At least when I was last there in the late 1970s. The last fishing trip I was able to go on with my Dad.

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »
Del Rio has public hunting around Lake Amistad. Only a 4 drive from Odessa. You have to pay for a permit, it was I think around 20 bucks for the year. Lots of places to camp out. Lake Amistad is a very nice place to hunt lots of deer but lots of pressure. But mostly free. Bow hunting only.

Good Luck.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 10:34:00 PM »
Gil, you will be about 4 to 4 1/2 hours from either Lake Amistad or Lake Meredith. Both have archery hunting. I know Meredith has mule and whitetail deer...and lots of rattlers.
You could also go over into New Mexico probably faster than either of the lakes I mentioned.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©