3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: is fast flight really needed ?  (Read 2429 times)

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
is fast flight really needed ?
« on: April 02, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
After my posted question of average shot distance for whitetails, I am wondering if Fast flight is really needed. Seems like most shots are 12-15 yds average. Is the xtra speed really needed ?

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: is fast flight really needed ?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »
No.

I use FF on some of my bows because they feel and shoot better with them. It has zero to do with speed. I couldn't care less about a few feet per second.

I let my bows decide what string they like.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 08:39:00 PM »
I don't feel the need for speed, but I do prefer how FF feels at the shot.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 08:44:00 PM »
Is extra free performance needed? Is a truck needed when a horse gets you there? :^)

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 08:52:00 PM »
For me it's how the bow feels/preforms with FF compared to Dacron. To each their own.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 08:58:00 PM »
Needed.....no.   but....i like it and D97 for certain bows.

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 09:05:00 PM »
Ok, I guess my question comes down to this. I am going to order a new schafer silvertip. Only diamondwood riser is FF rated. So many exotics to make a custom from. So should I worry about 5-8 fps ? I can also get double carbon limbs. I draw 47# @ 30"  ....
Don't know if I'm overthinking it

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 09:22:00 PM »
I love Silvertips and have owned many over the years. Currently I have three and definitely prefer the FF models. I think you should talk with Beth and Dave about what you want and go from there. They are great folks. It would be best to shoot a Dacron and FF Silvertip to see what you like the best, but that might not be possible. Have fun deciding, because you can't go wrong with a Silvertip.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 09:28:00 PM »
Funnie thing , I prefer FF on my longbows but prefer B-55 on my recurves .
Is it necessary ?
No , just comes down to preference .
In Traditional archery , if you are to concerned about speed , you should just shoot with wheels .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 09:37:00 PM »
I do not see the need for FF in my recurves. Actually yo be honest I have a few custom recurves that shoot better with Dacron. So I shoot whatever the bow likes.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 09:53:00 PM »
It's not about speed.  In equally well made strings, there's little difference in performance between dacron and any of the "FF" type materials.

The difference is:  durability, consistency, stability.

I agree the average shot on a whitetail is probably 12-15 yds.  Pretty sure my average is less than that.  That boils down to how many shots a year...one, two, ten?  

Now, what does it take to get that one, two, ten shots?  How many practice shots?  How long did you sit there (in the South it's still HOT when the whitetail season opens...dacron can stretch like crazy in the heat).  What kind of crap did you walk through to get to your spot?

If it were just about one, or two, or even ten shots a year and nothing else had to be taken into consideration, I don't think there would be much to think about.

However, when you are practicing thousands of shots throughout the year; when you may be sitting for hours and hours before you get that one shot;  when you may be wading through briars or climbing rocks or whatever to get to your spot...that's when the difference in durability, stability, and consistency...not to mention the huge difference in can make in how comfortable the shot it...makes a ton of difference.  

No slight towards anyone or any bow, but I personally won't even consider buying a new bow that's not warrantied for whatever string I want to put on it, anymore than I'd buy a bow that required me to shoot a particular type of arrow, or a particular type of broadhead, or a particular type of glove, etc.  But, that's just me.  

Again, performance differences are at the absolute bottom of my list of benefits when it comes to strings.  In a well made string, there's normally not enough difference to make a difference.  There are lots of other things that do add up to a big difference.

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 09:57:00 PM »
Any little advantage is still an advantage! I have had deer duck the arrow at 12-15yds, even with ff string.

It's all personal preference, and what each guy likes for whatever reason, is what he should use.

Bisch

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »
5-8 fps translates into about 3-4# of bow weight all other things being equal. If I get that essentially for nothing but a different string, I'll take it.  A low stretch string also reduces limb vibration and hand shock on every bow I've ever put it on. For me, it's a no brainer.

All the talk about low stretch strings harming older bows relates to the material damaging the limbs, yet with Tips, it applies only to the riser. Rather confusing.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 10:04:00 PM »
No. Archers got along fine without it for centuries.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 10:04:00 PM »
I don't think so. However, I'm old school and was always taught ff strings were hard on my bows.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »
I am curious as to why the bow maker has issues with FF strings on bows made with solid woods not dymondwood type materials.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2017, 10:26:00 PM »
I like my FF tip. I understand your dilemma. Dyamondwood just doesn't catch your eye like those highly figured exotics. I wish they would just make a phenolic I beam sandwiched riser for strength as others do. I shoot FF for the simple reason I don't have to fool with the string any more after I get it tuned to my liking. The fact that it is generally quieter and a little faster makes it a win win. Just not as purdy!!
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2017, 10:32:00 PM »
Again, no slight towards anyone...but I've been using BCY-X on a Samick Journey for going on 5 years.  I draw about 31", arrows are approximately 8 gpp.  I have a longbow I shot almost exclusively for 15 years or more, it never had a dacron string on it--most of the time Dynaflight '97, but also 8125 and 450+.  [email protected]", arrows approximately 9 gpp.  Used it so much it's been refinished twice, and is scuffed up again.  Hasn't lost a pound, still shoots like it did when it was new.

As far as I know there's never been any type of study of the effects of string material and bow longevity.

I know I've blown up a lot of bows over the years (mostly selfbows) and all but one had a dacron string on it the time.  The only one that had a HMPE string on it failed mid-limb...not at the riser, not at the tips (it was a self bow).

When he was competing, Rod Jenkins put more arrows through a bow in a year than most will in a lifetime.  Pretty sure he never had a bow failure that could be attributed to the string.

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 11:12:00 PM »
I agree with LBR. Fast flight is not necessary and you are giving up a few fps but you can get that fps back by dropping arrow weight very slightly.

Each string material has their own advantages but if you are shooting your bow naked (no string silencers) dacron is superior in my opinion.

Fast flight goes doingggg Dacron goes hummmm

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 11:21:00 PM »
For me right now "yes"

For me it is about making the best shot with traditional gear I can (I owe it to the game I hunt).  I think speed, accuracy, quite, and knowing I'm going to be consistent (stretch and movement), all come from being confident, which FF helps me with.

That's at this point in my life, maybe in ten years I go to woodies and have the chance to shoot daily and everything changes.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©