3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: is fast flight really needed ?  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: is fast flight really needed ?
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2017, 11:39:00 PM »
No, not necessary. It's fine to use the advantages the ff offers, even if it is a small difference,,, If that makes you feel better and more confident go for it. In a practical purpose way, I think there is only little difference either way, so just choose, they are both good strings.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »
No, it is not necessary, but many like it. I know some guys who believe that their bows perform better with it, aside from the speed perspective.
Sam

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
No, not necessary, but... Very few people buy a bow with the intention of selling it, but if the time comes when you do FF Tips sell WAY better than non FF models.
Ken Thornhill

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 10:22:00 AM »
Nope, but as Chad said the polyester based strings can be a big pain in the butt. I still remember having to readjust halfway through 3D on hot days. They also wore out more quickly but I was shooting heavier bows back then.

These days I'm shooting lighter bows so the extra performance is helpful, but even if the newer stuff was slower I'd still use it just to avoid the stretch/creep. Drove me nuts.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2017, 01:11:00 PM »
Kegan, exactly.

Is "FF" required?  Not any more than fiberglass, epoxy, phenolic, actionwood, aluminum/carbon/etc. arrows, steel broadheads, shooting gloves, etc.  Pretty much everything on the planet has been killed with a  bow and arrow that utilized none of these.  

Do these materials make archery equipment more durable, more stable, more reliable, more consistent, more fun?  Definitely.

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 01:24:00 PM »
Chad two questions. If one has a short draw length would that lessen the chance of shock damage on a bow that is perhaps not FF made? Do you think that there could be string groove issues more with one or the other material?  Over the years I have fixed longbows three had only shot B50 strings and one that had a badly made FF string, that had gouging in the string grooves.  Most of the time that was caused by grit, the ff strung longbow could still have been grit caused, but it did have lots of broken strands in one spline.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2017, 01:39:00 PM »
Tons of variables to consider, draw length being one of them.  No doubt a shorter draw would be easier on the bow.  Would it be enough of a difference to make a difference?  No idea.

I don't think the material will make much if any difference.  If the loop is padded and properly built (round), the (FF type) material shouldn't matter.  The angle of the string grooves will also make a big difference.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2017, 01:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
Chad two questions. If one has a short draw length would that lessen the chance of shock damage on a bow that is perhaps not FF made? Do you think that there could be string groove issues more with one or the other material?  Over the years I have fixed longbows three had only shot B50 strings and one that had a badly made FF string, that had gouging in the string grooves.  Most of the time that was caused by grit, the ff strung longbow could still have been grit caused, but it did have lots of broken strands in one spline.
I have spoke with Bob Morrison about this several times and he states that draw length has a lot to do with what a bow can take or not take.  If you think of the concept, it makes sense.  Shooting a FF string on a vintage bow that you only draw to 26" wouldn't be as bad as one you draw to 30", would it?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »
Shooting a FF string on a vintage bow that you only draw to 26" wouldn't be as bad as one you draw to 30", would it?  
A shorter draw is not as much stress on old bow limbs, both at full draw and at release.  Again though...is it enough of a difference to make a difference?  How about padded loops?  Heavy arrows?  How heavy?

Might get away with it, might not.  As far as I know there's been no studies on the effects of string materials on bow limbs, old or new.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »
maybe not necessary but desired - harder to sell a dacron only bow IMHO.

I can't stand the string creep

Just my 2 cents

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2017, 03:51:00 PM »
not required at all...dacron is a fine string and I found that when shooting almost daily and I leave my bow strung that creep is a non issue...as it has been already worked out...and an equally broken in string is set as a backup and taped so it wont untwist...so really no creep just some settling of the strands happens.  That being said most of my bows have D97 on them but I would have no issue going to a B50 or the newer B55.  I dont like the super skinny strings how they feel against my fingers...dont care about speed...but do like how the D97 seems to wear better than my dacron with less waxing.
I will not poo-poo a bow that is dacron only just like I wont walk away from one that is FF only.....Once I get the bow set up and have a second backup string set up...I really could care less what it is made out of as long as I have a backup and have been shooting it a bit to ensure it is holding braceheight.  Good luck.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2017, 07:39:00 PM »
It is not needed...but on some of my bows..especially vintage bows it can change the whole feel of the bow and improve the shooting qualities significantly. At least for me

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2017, 09:08:00 PM »
It can make wearing a brace unnecessary.
Tedd

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2017, 10:59:00 PM »
Not needed, but it certainly improves performance.  Every bow I've ever shot with a Dacron string has been improved by putting on a low stretch string, be it D-97, D-10 or anything else that's not Dacron on it.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2017, 12:30:00 AM »
Of course it's not needed. It is nice though! Comes off the hand cleaner I think

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2017, 01:14:00 AM »
Not needed.

Some bows shoot better overall with B-50 or B-55 no doubt!

However most shoot better overall with the latest FF strings.

For instance I have a new 1960 Kodiak replica and have tried 3 different FF type strings on it.I have the one B-55 that came with the bow.No comparison.The B-55 shoots noticably better on this particular bow.Softer,quieter and sweeter feeling than any of the other 3 FF strings I tried on it.I have had other bows like this one that were better with B-55,B-50.

I thought it shoots great when I got it with the B-55.Cant wait to try my FF strings on it.Should be even better.Not!

Its not one size fits all.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2017, 01:48:00 PM »
Needed? No.... but a little extra speed never hurts

FF is more stable, durable, has less hand shock, and is quieter in my opinion. Faster is just a great bonus.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2017, 07:03:00 PM »
Not needed.  But it's pretty cheap so why not?

I wouldn't let it affect my decision to buy a particular bow if everything else was good.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »
I believe the consensus (in no particular order) is:

1. It's not needed...BUT

2. The resell value will always be higher with FF compatibility, higher than the FF upgrade cost.

3. Performance will be increased.

4. Shootability (is that a word?) may be increased.

5. You can still use a dacron string if you desire.

6. There is nothing wrong with owning a bow with stronger limb tips and riser that you get with FF compatibility.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »
Pretty much, except in my experience I'd swap 3 and 4.  Performance may be increased (maybe a little, normally not noticeably except when going from one extreme to another), "shootability" (less shock, better consistency, better stability) will be improved--at least it has been on every bow I've tried both on.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©