3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is the hunt about more than killing for you ?  (Read 1397 times)

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
Is the hunt about more than killing for you ?
« on: April 02, 2017, 09:57:00 PM »
Everyone, I started out as a 17 yr old kid bow hunting. As time whent on I whent through several stages, as I am sure most of you did. I whent from having to kill any deer to killing as many as possible. Then came the bucks only stage, followed by only big bucks. 6 years ago I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, my world was turned upside down. Now I just enjoy my time in the woods, even the pesky red tree rats. There really is something to the saying
...stop to smell the roses

Re: Is the hunt about more than killing for you ?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 10:16:00 PM »
The hunt is waaaaaaaaaay more than just the killing. If the killing were the only thing that mattered, I would be a rifle hunter.

Prayers up for you!

Bisch

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 10:21:00 PM »
Ditto on the prayers!
Anymore, it doesn't bother me in the least if I come home empty-handed. Sometimes I prefer it.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 10:27:00 PM »
Not about the kill for me!
After working and dreaming for 40 years I recently was able to buy a " baby " farm. I have feeders running from September-March and sew about 2 acres of turnips in August. Last year was the first time in over 3 decades I did not harvest a deer. I had several opportunities, with plenty of pics and videos to confirm. I did take a turkey with my bow though. My boys and friends are worried about me I'm sure.  :)
I just hope they too live long enough that the " thrill of the kill " subsides. I very well may harvest a few more in the future. But, with a son and a 16 yr old grandson hunting there's always fresh venison in the freezer. My wife and I go down for 2-3 days each week now. Stumps are always in season and I love roving in my woods. Life is good and I'm appreciative!

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 10:41:00 PM »
The older I get the less bloodthirsty I become.  I am happy to see deer and let most pass.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 10:47:00 PM »
I think most traditional archers will agree its more than the kill.  I get a overwhelmed when I walk into the woods with only stick and string.  A feeling that had long since left with my compound.  That's why I've once again sold off all my compound equipment and using a long bow.  It's defiantly more about the time spent hunting rather than the harvest.  I love getting so close to the animals, and if i harvest, then it's great!  If not I come home to supporting family and don't have to dirty up my skinning knifes, meat grinder, kitchen, garage floor, etc.. good luck with everything sir!

Wes

Offline Adge23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 10:51:00 PM »
For me just spending time in Gods creation and thinking of all the blessings he has given to us is a special time.  When in the woods it's my time with him and to disconnect from the hustle and bustle of life. Now I will say I love to chase big bucks too but they are just a bonus.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 10:56:00 PM »
Every moment in the field is a gift >>-->

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 11:12:00 PM »
I figured out a long time ago, the killing part of hunting, just leads to an end of all the fun....and is when the work begins.

Yet,,,,,even though hunting if far more then the kill,  hunting is also more then just going out and sitting in the woods enjoying nature...that is a different activity. Otherwise if the kill wasnt a part of it, then leave your bow at home or better yet sell all your hunting weapons and get out there and enjoy without them. A camera maybe? Hunting is far more then just the kill, but we should not have to make excuses as to the fact that killing is part of hunting if even the kill never actually takes place,,,,we certainly were there to make a kill if opportunity presents itself. Hunting and the intention to kill, they are inseperable. Otherwise it's not even hunting at all. If you dont get that, then maybe a camera would better suit you.

Offline FITTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 11:23:00 PM »
First and foremost Ill keep you in my prayers...... the hunt for me is being where im hunting and invisible. its enjoying the wildlife around me and enjoying the peace and tranquility. Free sums it up...... I work alot and in a noisy environmwnt so anytime spent in the woods whether I bring meat home or not is a treasure....
Philippians 4:13

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Traditional Archery Society

Northernmist Classic
JD Berry Heritage
Howard Hill Tembo

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 11:23:00 PM »
As stated before , if it's about the kill , you might as well just gun hunt .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 11:41:00 PM »
It's the journey not just the destination!!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 11:55:00 PM »
yep im a hunter not just a killer

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 12:50:00 AM »
Here in NV, we draw for tags.  Some years I do not draw, but go with anyone who needs a spotter, packer or camp cook. It is the hunt, a kill is nice, but anticlamatic.  There is nothing like being perched on a mountain and watching antelope deer elk yotes or badgers doing "thier" thing with no indication I am even there.  Being out there is life.  Gotta admit, like a deer steak over a fire, too
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 01:34:00 AM »
I to enjoy the hunt killing or not. There is so many aspects to it that I love I couldn't list them all here. This year was my first time in 35 years that I never shot at least one deer with a bow. I had a great time. I missed a couple, passed on a few, and I felt my season was a success. Everything I did was on my own terms, it was great and I thank the Lord for the opportunity. I said a prayer for you and wish you all the best.
(Rom. 10:13)

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 01:46:00 AM »
MOst bow hunters I know have great imaginations. Hunting takes me and them to another place . A place of beauty. awe, simplicity and wonder. It is about life and the great circle that the creator made. It is about the imagination that takes us out of the reality of the lives and boundarys we live in, The trap of things is replaced with the sighing of firs and pines in the air and the blue of the sky. Sparks from a campfire and the glow of light on friends gathered around it takes us back hundreds and thousands of years where a belly full of hot meat and a cold drink of water was more successful than a bank account and credit cards.
Its about a fresh set pf tracks going through a jack pine forest and following them while in your mind seeing a huge bull that somehow had to be over those huge feet. Hearing a bull bugling on a far ridge and another answering that sounds like he is right on top of you. You take a step , You look up and he is standing on a ridge a hundred yards away and staring right at you. Busted but successful.
I guess we could write on forever about this but I know anyone that is a hunter who uses the stick and the string knows exactly what I am saying.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 01:56:00 AM »
I like the thrill of the hunt, and being out and enjoying the woods.  

But I like hearing a hog coughing on its own blood and watching its soul leave its body thru a large arrow wound even more.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 02:12:00 AM »
Its not as much about the killing for me.Especially after decades of hunting.More so when I 1st started hunting.But not the end all be all even then.

I really just love being totally immersed in the natural order of things.Hunting and angling have a way of putting you deeper into that realm.Many lessons,philosophies and princibles are learned that will enrich a man or woman.

I think if I was starving or needed to put food on the table it would be more about the killing to procure food.But the same lessons would be learned nonetheless.

Alot of the things I have gotten out of hunting in self enrichment,understanding,deep  meaning and a higher understanding of the natural order have nothing to do with killing the animal.Its about being a part of the scheme of the natural order.Which man is certainly a large part of that natural History through the eons

The pursuit of the kill had led me down this path of things that were discovered in relation to the actual killing of animals.I have learned alot in the woods,hills,swamps,rivers,lakes and forests.I derived great pleasure in it and am gratefull for all of it!

Overall I enjoy the hunt and everything that it encompasses more than the kill in totality.The kill is kinda the icing on the cake at the end of the story though.Especially the hard earned kills that really test the hunters knowledge,skill and perseverance.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 03:04:00 AM »
I matured at 18.  That was the last year I hunted with a rifle.  Im 51 now and it doesnt bother me a bit that I could have killed some monster bucks with a rifle in rifle season when I was carrying by bows.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 06:38:00 AM »
Participated in over 100 hunts last fall

Passed on well over 150 shot opportunities, from the ground, last fall

Happily released no arrows last fall

Must have been exceedingly much more to the hunt than making a kill last fall
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©