3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is the hunt about more than killing for you ?  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is the hunt about more than killing for you ?
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 06:54:00 AM »
Ditto what Adge23 said !

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 08:26:00 AM »
Yes the bow hunt is more than just the opportunity to take possession of an animal to me.  

I've been at this 47 years now.  But I remember a span of time in my 12th and 13th year (80-81) where I was hunting for giant deer on a large property that had them.  It was northern Indiana (Elkhart) and in those days a bowhunter was allowed only one deer. The bowhunter was not allowed to hunt with a bow during the gun season.

In those two years I kept a diary. I passed on 110 bow range shots (20 yards or less).  I never shot an arrow during those 2 years.  Yep, the trees were beautiful, fresh air great, anticipation super high, and lots of other wildlife entertained me.  But....

Towards the end of that 2 years I realized I was loosing the excitement for seeing ordinary deer.  When I saw a deer and knew I wasn't going to be tempted to shoot, the rush didn't occur.  

I realized that because there was going to be no moment of truth, no risk that I might miss or worse, that my hunt was missing something.  It became exactly like hunting with a camera for me (with no market for a great picture there was nothing at stake ruining a picture).

I had turned hunting into something else.

That 2nd year I was hunting for a small buck with a muzzleloader on that property.  The largest live deer I've ever seen (12-point) walked within 15 yards in a picked bean field to the pin oak I was perched in. I lowered the sights on him and decided I didn't want the biggest deer of my life to be with a firearm. That big ole buck hung around with a doe for more than 10 minutes. I moved those iron sights from his neck to between his eyes. I had decided, since this spot was adjacent to a near implantable button bush swamp that I was going to drop whatever I shot in his tracks (I didn't bow hunt next to this marsh). I passed the deer. No regrets and I never saw (that I know of) that deer again.  

I shot a little 6-point, between the eyes at 35 yards that evening with that .50 caliber Renegade. The only step he took was down.

So, I enjoy a walk or sit in the woods more than most, but if I don't have an unfilled tag in my pocket and the intent to fill it,  it isn't a hunt for me.  I'm not bloodthirsty, but I thrive on the last piece of the complicated and beautiful puzzle being completed.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 08:40:00 AM »
I spend far more time watching animals than shooting at them. Like many, I started out wanting to shoot anything and everything that was legal. As time passed, the hunt and just enjoying the beauty of the woods became a major focal point. Some of my friends say I should just leave the bow at home if all I want to do is observe wildlife. However, I could change my mind at any moment so the bow is with me and the broad heads are sharp. Yes, I can have it both ways.
Sam

Offline nidaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 08:45:00 AM »
the hunt is important but me and my friends love to pack out meat, which means someone has to kill something. I will admit last year was the first  year I have not shot an elk with my bow in 16 years and it did not bother me, I had a great season, but I did pack out a couple for friends.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »
I agree, the hunt is the over all experience.  Yes it is nice to see and harvest the animal you are after, but there is just so much more to it, than just that.  I have seen beauty and wonders, that would missed, if did not slow down and enjoy the overall experience.

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 10:24:00 AM »
I go to enjoy nature, and mostly to draw closer to GOD. It gets hard to hear Him with all the hustle and bustle, here I can slow down and listen.
Gary, Prayers lifted up for you.
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2017, 11:45:00 AM »
If all we cared about was killing one we'd all be using xbows or compounds during archery season. If I have good activity (not necessarily the animal I'm after either) I'm happy with the outting. The only times I don't like are when it's a dead woods - that's not very enjoyable.
SWA Spyder

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »
It is for sure the time in the woods and the anticipation of what I may see or experience during that time. If I do make a kill it is so special with trad equipment.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »
When I step into the woods I've got a very specific goal. If  I don't reach my goal over the course of the season I'd be lying if I said it doesn't bother me. It does. However hunting with the gear we hunt with is hard. If you don't enjoy a whole lot more about the process than just the kill you may want to look into golf or whatever people do.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2017, 12:48:00 PM »
I think many folks from game-prolific states do so much killing, they discover that the kill itself doesn't offer much meaning.  Out here, we kill so rarely that we have to find meaning in something else or we'd just hang it up.

I think it was Jose Ortega y Gasset who said that one kills in order to have hunted.  By themselves, it's all pretty meaningless -- the hunt and the kill.  Together, there are some profound truths to learn.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2017, 12:54:00 PM »
One of my favorite places to hunt, is not so good, but it does have one thing, woodcocks come and feed there every year.  I love watching woodcocks. Shot one out of the air and two on the ground one day years ago, with an HTM blunt.  Ate the meat of all three and mounted the one that I got out of the air as it was the only one suitable for mounting according to the taxiderm guy.

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2017, 01:44:00 PM »
Sure it's more about the hunt, but the kill is also why I am toting a bow with broadhead tipped arrows along. The adventure getting to that point is a thrill, but ultimately im there attempting to kill wholesome game/meat for my freezer to feed my family. Last archery season I passed up 25 plus deer within easy bow range after killing one buck. Its not about killing numbers, take only what you can use (legally) and leave the rest.
Mark 1:17

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2017, 02:54:00 PM »
That Ortega quote is right on, thanks for reminding us of that YosemiteSam.

With that quote in mind, the "hunt" is a season of sits or stalks, not just this morning's outing.

Offline soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2017, 04:25:00 PM »
On some of my hunts last year I think I enjoyed the stump shooting to and from my spot just as much as the hunt itself. If I would have had someone with me I might have enjoyed the shooting more.
(Rom. 10:13)

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2017, 04:45:00 PM »
Love the hunt but I also love my venison.

Offline monk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2017, 04:57:00 PM »
Its not about the killing at all for me. I engage in the outdoor setting because of my love for the God who gives this wondrous creation to us. When in it fully, I sense the divine all around me and know I am part of something infinitely grander than me. I attempt the harvest of the natural resource as a conscientious inhabitant of the planet. I know my presence on earth makes an impact on my environment bringing death by my mere existence. So rather than pretend that is not true, I choose to be as intentional as I can bringing the death my existence brings, in the MOST humane, respectful, and thankful way possible. I think this helps manage our worlds resources in such a way to make/keep them the most healthy and safe. And guarantee the blessing of their gift in perpetuity.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2017, 06:00:00 PM »
Yes
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2017, 06:36:00 PM »
More to the whole adventure, but there is only one reason folks buy a license.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2017, 08:08:00 PM »
Its a reason for me to go out n walk around alone in the woods
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2017, 09:40:00 PM »
Hunting is a fun time and the kill is part of the hunt, but some times my hunt turns in to a stump shoot which is one of my favorite pass times. I like to think I'm a good cook and camper a back country type of man and enjoy the hole process. I have to say I'm out there as much as can be but the process is most of the fun for me. Don't need the meat because my son-in-law and grandson always take care of me and it's a big kick for me to see them do their thing. I just love the  process.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©