3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: IBO's Mid America Trad. Championship Comes to Indiana  (Read 1265 times)

Offline David Friendly Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
IBO's Mid America Trad. Championship Comes to Indiana
« on: April 03, 2017, 10:41:00 AM »
We are hosting the IBO's Mid America-Traditional Archery Championship in Noblesville, Indiana April 28-30, 2017. This is the first large Trad. event that I've planned. I see the gang is great for sharing ideas, and opinions, and I welcome ideas on how you would run this event if it were yours...any comments are sincerely appreciated. IE. People to contact, donations, games, set-up, etc.  I'm new to Trad., but have been welcomed with open arms, and I truly want to build a tradition and community around this event.  I've got a lot to work with except $. It was a huge investment to buy the rinehart targets for this event.  see our website koteewiarchery.com for more info on the property. It's a very historical property, rich in native american history and it's owned by the county. So, I have to get everything approved thru them. Thanks gang!!!
David L. Boggs
Backwater Legacies
Board Member/Instructor
backwaterlegacies.org

Re: IBO's Mid America Trad. Championship Comes to Indiana
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 11:09:00 AM »
Welcome to the Gang!

The IBO Mid America shoot was down here in Texas the last 2 years, and is a fantastic shoot. For some unknown reason, the folks down here did not embrace the IBO format, and they had to move on. Down here, it was run just about like the IBO World Trad shoot. We had 2-20 target IBO round courses and a separate hunter challenge course. We also had a team event on Sat night just like they do at the World shoot. This is a great shoot and tournament format, and I hope you guys get the support needed to keep it going!

Good luck!

Bisch

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 11:18:00 AM »
First suggestion would be set the targets at realistic Trad distances.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 11:24:00 AM »
Thank You for the information Bisch! Do you mind anwsering 2 quick questions? 1.)Was it in a trail format or pull and retrieve? 2.)Which do you think most Mid America shooters prefer?

Thanks again!
David L. Boggs
Backwater Legacies
Board Member/Instructor
backwaterlegacies.org

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by David Friendly Bear:
Thank You for the information Bisch! Do you mind anwsering 2 quick questions? 1.)Was it in a trail format or pull and retrieve? 2.)Which do you think most Mid America shooters prefer?

Thanks again!
I do not understand what you are asking me here? Talk with Levy Bryant at IBO, and he can fill you in on the IBO format. I'm pretty sure the IBO would want the shoot to follow their tournament format.

Bisch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 11:28:00 AM »
Thank you too! achigan!
David L. Boggs
Backwater Legacies
Board Member/Instructor
backwaterlegacies.org

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »
Thanks!!! I've been talking to Levy, we spend more time trying to get ahold of each other, than we do talking. Lol. Levy has been great!   great though. I'm just trying to get ideas, and imput from others too. Thanks Again!
David L. Boggs
Backwater Legacies
Board Member/Instructor
backwaterlegacies.org

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 12:51:00 PM »
A pull and return is easier to lay out, but it takes longer to shoot a course (extra back and forth times do add up) and thus will slow the whole shoot down. Depending on the terrain and space available, pull and return sometimes is the only choice. Our club does normally not lay out pull and return courses (all archery types) and it normally keeps it flowing pretty good.
All IBO traditional distances are realistic.
A typical problem with traditional shoots and scoring is, that in order to make it competitive, you need to make it harder. That often does turn off the "I shoot for fun crowd".
This is best addressed using an appropriate scoring system, but since this is an IBO event, you will have to follow their scoring system.
One stake and 10,8,5,0 unfortunately do not much to train your shooting ability.
Good luck with the shoot!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 02:36:00 PM »
Thanks Tecum-tha! Thats good info.  Since you're a local guy. You might know John Fort? He's helping me with this event too.  Thanks again! Let me know if you come up with any more recommendations.
David L. Boggs
Backwater Legacies
Board Member/Instructor
backwaterlegacies.org

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 02:44:00 PM »
It will be of interest to me if it follows the IBO protocols.  

I prefer pull and return for safety reasons.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 02:58:00 PM »
Thanks bowwild! and that's a great quote there too! We will follow IBO rules as the contract states. I really want everyone to have a great time and grow this event and keep it here.
David L. Boggs
Backwater Legacies
Board Member/Instructor
backwaterlegacies.org

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 04:23:00 PM »
I much, MUCH prefer a trail type of set-up to pull and return.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 04:48:00 PM »
can someone educate me on the trail vs pull and return?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »
Trail means you can Shoot, walk down and pull your arrow, and then go to the next target.  Pull and return means you shoot, walk down and pull the arrows, then return to the trail and walk to the next target.  Ojibwa Bowhunters in Wisconsin has the best trails I've ever shot.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 05:59:00 PM »
Cloverdale has the best 3D shoot I have been to anywhere and most of the shots are trail type set-ups and the course is very safe so you can have both safety and convenience. Of course, terrain has something to do with how you can set up.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 07:52:00 PM »
I guess I have never seen or shot a trail style.  It does sound fun though.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »
The trail set-up saves time.  Things move along faster.

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 04:09:00 PM »
Most fixed courses or courses in state parks use pull and return. Our local club sets up different trail style courses every time. You will never shoo the same shot or same target in the same spot. It sure takes more planning and labor to install a different trail every time instead of putting in animals in cut out lines off a trail. Sometimes, a pull and return is needed on a trail course, too. Just mark it clearly on the station marker sign. Trails also allow the use of natural vegetation to be an obstacle. In regular pull and return courses, all shots are "interstate" shots, as everything is cut out because the modern crowd shoots there,too.
A trail style course still needs to be laid out with safety being No.1.

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 06:51:00 PM »
I shot to Koteewi range at the Grand opening.  Great place but the 3D course was not set up for Trad at all.  If it has not changed you have work to do.  I am not bashing at all and willing to help out and give you some input.  The course location,  venue and new targets could add up to a great event for sure!! Pm me with your contact info.  I do plan to attend the shoot.
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 06:52:00 PM »
Also, contact whomever puts on Cloverdale and maybe Dave Jarvis the former president of Compton traditional bowhunters since their rendevous in MI is done so well.
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©