3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: IBO's Mid America Trad. Championship Comes to Indiana  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: IBO's Mid America Trad. Championship Comes to Indiana
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 07:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
I much, MUCH prefer a trail type of set-up to pull and return.
Absolutely! Pull and return is like shooting in your back yard, to repetitious and monotonous. The trail is more realistic as far as hunting situations go.

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2017, 08:49:00 PM »
We live in Noblesville and shoot koteewi all the time. It isn't the best layout and can be a problem if a target is missed. The course is flat and most of it is rather swampy with water immediately behind. However, it isn't the worse course by far. I think that with time and input they will learn to make the course more interesting and put more consideration into what is behind the targets.

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2017, 03:51:00 AM »
This will be our 6th year to do the IBO World and have always done shoot and return ,never had any complaints. We set the targets at a reasonable  distance and the best shooters will come to the top anyway ,but also everyone has fun and don't loose a bunch of arrows or spend time looking for them. Good luck with the event. A little different format than most shoots but still a lot of fun and some great shooting.
 Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule
Home of the Tennessee Classic

Offline JR Belk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2017, 01:19:00 PM »
"realistic trad distances"

I always love hearing that. Believe it or not, but you can kill past 15 yards.
Northern Mist Classic
Northern Mist Whisper
Northern Mist Superior

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 01:53:00 PM »
Pappy,
your farm is hilly and different enough that the pull and return is ok. You can put targets in so many different positions off the trails, that it is not an issue. Offers also plenty of backstops. Still, it is sometimes a little more open that it needs to be. The TAS championships are a little brushy, and others are often too open. As an example: a slightly shorter hunting bow will generally do better in real life hunting and in courses where you have to shoot through or close to natural obstacles (overhanging branches etc.). In very open courses, a longer bow will be more accurate and no problem to shoot. In an more obstacled course, longer bows can be more difficult to shoot. The IBO course when Heavy Hunter class was still there, the last 20 targets on Sunday setup in the further end small piece of woods where the regular courses haven't been, was a nice setup along and off the "road". In reality, a good trad course is much easier to set up in hilly terrain because there are more natural backstops. Twin Oaks is hilly, Cloverdale is hilly (at least the course area. Flat courses are hard to set up that it is realistic and a joy to shoot for 40 targets.
A problem lately is more the concentration of all traditional shoots within 3 hours drive of my place. You hardly can't get to all of them.
Example: TAS Worlds last weekend, KY TradFest this weekend, IBO Midwest end of April, a week later TN Classic. ITBA Shoot May 20. You still need to get to your local club shoots,too. It gets busy and I don't know if all these shoots are not watering down the crowds.

Offline macster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 10:31:00 PM »
I would talk to pappy from Twin Oaks, he does excellent job at Trad Worlds.  My 2 cents would be to mix it up, don't make every shot 22-25 yds., that gets boring quick.  Give us a 12 yard coyote then a 25 yd elk with an 18 yd deer. Someone mentioned only one stake for Trad, there are two(white max 25 yds) and (orange 30 yd max).

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 03:51:00 AM »
I hear ya Roland on the so many shoots, we have been doing it for 20+ years and shoots just keep popping up every year. When we started their was Cloverdale and the KY Classic that were pretty close, a few more scattered here and there but that was it. We try to mix range up it up a bit some clear and some with more in the way but it is still hard to set a 40 target course with ever shot looking natural.
 Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule

Offline David Friendly Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2017, 02:47:00 PM »
Thank you all!!! Your opinion, contacts, and ideas are very appreciated. Also, thank you for answering questions and sharing info to others for me! I hope to have everything completely laid out by mid next week and will post it. I think I have a plan that suits almost everybody.
David L. Boggs
Backwater Legacies
Board Member/Instructor
backwaterlegacies.org

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2017, 03:33:00 PM »
Hi Gang!!! I just wanted to give everyone an fyi: I've see a few references in posts, & PM's referring to distances and targets, as well as the getting bored with some targets.  When I went to place the rinehart order originally, we ordered at least one of every target that had an IBO scoring rings...Well we later found out that our discount for holding a national level event; only covered certain targets.  Therefore we had to change our order, to save several thousand dollars!  That is why you will see out of the 60+ targets, you'll see some of the animals 2-3 times.  Sorry, not my fault!
David L. Boggs
Backwater Legacies
Board Member/Instructor
backwaterlegacies.org

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2017, 03:46:00 AM »
Yes we always set 3 sets of 20, same targets on each course just set in different settings.
 Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2017, 01:36:00 AM »
IBO Mid America Update: Heres what I have planned! Let me know your thoughts!
Fri. April 28: Reg. opens @ 9 AM., comp ranges @ 10AM close 6PM.
Sat. April 29: Reg. opens @ 8 AM., comp ranges @ 9AM Close 6PM.
Sun. April 30: Reg. opens @ 8 AM., comp ranges @
9AM Close 12:00 (Noon)
Everyone should be on the road around 2:00.
------------------------------------------------
Fri. Activities...Competition All Day, Areial disc shoot, long distance shoot, practice ranges, and bowhunter challenge range open until 6PM daily. After 5:00, Offical time TBD: coon shoot 10 targets.

Sat. Activities...competition all day, aerial disc shoot, long distance shoot, practice ranges, bowhunter challenge range, open all day until 6PM. After 6 PM TBD. we will shoot a smoker round. followed by an additional 20 target coon shoot.

Sun. Activities...Shoot-Off: 10AM top 10 shooters in each class will have shoot off for Plaques & prizes for the top 3 in ea. All other activities open until NOON. awards and drawings Aprx. 1:00.
------------------------------------------------
Costs: $15.00 for 1 day/$35:00 whole event, for competition.
Food:B,L,D will be provided on-site by Backwater Legacies a local 501 C (3) non-profit that specializes in Outdoor Education and youth development.
Commerative t-shirts will be available for purchase.
Long Distance shoots will be a 50% payback.
Aerial Disc shoot will be $5 for 5 tries. awards to people hitting the bullseye. This $ also goes to the non-profit.
Smoker round will have 1 winner. entry costs $5
Coon Shoot will have 1 winner. entry costs $10
Children under 10 may shoot novelties for no cost
Other on property amenaties: Horse back riding, aerial adventure tours (Zip lines, etc.), camping on property, trophy small mouth bass fishing, canoe, kayak, or wade. History museum/nature center, hike (8.25 miles of trails) bike, animal watching, etc.
David L. Boggs
Backwater Legacies
Board Member/Instructor
backwaterlegacies.org

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2017, 03:44:00 AM »
Sounds like a good plan to me.
 Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2017, 08:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by pappy:
Sounds like a good plan to me.
 Pappy
Thanks Pappy!!! I'm going to try to get off work and come down for the worlds and see what I can learn from how you do things.
David L. Boggs
Backwater Legacies
Board Member/Instructor
backwaterlegacies.org

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2017, 09:52:00 AM »
Just a reminder that this starts tomorrow. By the way, will groups of family and friends who have no interest in turning in a scorecard be busted up or not have access to the competition ranges?

We shoot 3d courses nearly every weekend and enjoyed enough good scores. Besides, my wife and youngest son already have more traphies than I do. We primarily enjoy shooting and hunting as a family thing. While we enjoy the camaraderie and occasionally shooting with others, our family time means something more. So, just curious.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2017, 01:44:00 PM »
My apologies Witherstick...I just saw your post, with the weather, I was working 18 hrs a day to get things ready. But for future reference Koteewi Sport & Target Archery Center is owned by the Hamilton Co. Parks & Recreation Dept.so we are all about children and families. We welcome families, friends, and spectators at all of our events. We believe it inspires others to give it a try. The exception is on some ASA shoots. The have some no walkers/spectators rule at some of their championships.  I'd also like to point out that there is a lot to do on property besides the archery ranges. (hiking, horse back riding, fishing-for trophy smallmouth bass, nature and archaeology programs). Please look me up the next time you're in!
David L. Boggs
Backwater Legacies
Board Member/Instructor
backwaterlegacies.org

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©