3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ethical turkey setup question.  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
Ethical turkey setup question.
« on: April 03, 2017, 04:26:00 PM »
Is 40 pounds too light to use the Magnus bullheads? Should I stick with a 4 blade stinger? If it's too risky I can hustle to get a new set of arrows tuned up for my 45 pound bow.

Re: Ethical turkey setup question.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 04:33:00 PM »
I can't answer as to ethical or not, but if I were going to shoot a turkey with a 40# stickbow, I would definitely use the sharpest broadhead I could get, and would prefer one that was not too wide also!

Bisch

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 04:34:00 PM »
A little more info. Its a red wing hunter with b50. Gt trad classics with 200 grains up front. I shoot this bow well and arrows fly great

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 05:33:00 PM »
Bullheads are meant for head / neck hits.  If you keep the shots close, as we typically do for turkeys, and make sure the leading edges of those heads are sharp.... there should be no issues, hit em and they are dead, miss, and they fly away unharmed.

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 05:48:00 PM »
Yeah I was thinking 10 yards or less for shots. Ideally a gobbler would come whoop my Jake decoy and if nail him at 7 yards

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 07:55:00 PM »
Too Light!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 08:55:00 PM »
Guru knows his stuff, but for a head shot with a bullhead I personally think it should be plenty.  Body shot is a big difference.  BTW, those edges sharpen up great with a RADA wheelie sharpener after you are done practicing.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 08:59:00 PM »
I would stick with the stinger.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 09:08:00 PM »
I'd body shoot them. I've killed 4 with a #40 longbow, turkeys are a good deal tougher than people give them credit for.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 09:18:00 PM »
I have witnessed two bounce offs with bullheads. One with a fifty pound stickbow and the other a forty pound youth compound. Both shots under 15 yards. The broadhead struck the gobblers completely square in the head/neck. I definitely think bowhunters should give some serious thought about their equipment before using bullheads. Do what you think is best, but I like holes like this.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 09:41:00 PM »
I wonder if those 2 shots were unlucky enough to have only the relatively blunt point strike first?  That would be some good shooting.

Offline FAV 52

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 10:19:00 PM »
I shoot a 45lb bow and draw about 27 1/2 in. , arrow weight is 540 grn. , shoot the 125 grn. bullhead and cut the head mostly off several turkeys at 10 to 12 yards . I think you would be fine if you hit the head , neck . Our turkey season is in a couple weeks , and we plan on getting lots of pictures this year as this is of interest to a lot of folks . So far we have had nothing but good results .

Offline bluemarlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 11:06:00 PM »
Those birds are tough! I've seen shotgun loads shave a few feathers off at 30 yards and the bird fly away like the stud. Just aim for the head at that moment when everything is on the line and you'll be fine.  ....I wish it was that easy.

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 11:11:00 PM »
Yeah those gobblers are tough as nails. I just want to be sure my equipment is gonna get the job done if I do my part. I don't want to wound one because I made a bad call that could have been avoided.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 02:40:00 PM »
I wouldn't hesitate to hunt turkeys with a 40 pound bow but I would not use a bullhead. Think you would be better off with a regular broadhead.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 03:25:00 PM »
Have been firmly convinced over the yearly previous discussions that utilizing the Bullhead per your setup would be a very poor decision.

The quarry we are gifted to pursue deserve nothing less than our best efforts.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline FAV 52

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 11:14:00 PM »
Just a thought , how much force does it take with a sharp knife to cut the skin on a turkeys neck to the bone ?

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 12:22:00 AM »

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 06:49:00 AM »
In no way does slicing neck-to-bone penetration remotely translates into a clean kill.

The Bullhead was designed for decapitation. The Magnus website recommendation for a conventional bow is no less than 60#s for a long draw archer.

The proposed 40# traditional bow setup may equate to roughly half of the Magnus minimal recommendation.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 09:42:00 AM »
And yet .......

QUOTE]Originally posted by FAV 52:
I shoot a 45lb bow and draw about 27 1/2 in. , arrow weight is 540 grn. , shoot the 125 grn. bullhead and cut the head mostly off several turkeys at 10 to 12 yards . I think you would be fine if you hit the head , neck . Our turkey season is in a couple weeks , and we plan on getting lots of pictures this year as this is of interest to a lot of folks . So far we have had nothing but good results . [/QUOTE]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©