3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Handle  (Read 650 times)

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
Handle
« on: April 03, 2017, 11:55:00 PM »
Howard hill was a great longbow archera ledgend however the strate handle longbow could do with a remake .to be accurate ypu need to put ypur hand in the same place every time.im saying a grip that easily puts ypur hand in the same place is not the strate flat grip anyone agree ?
Arrow_Flynn

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Handle
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 11:58:00 PM »
Yes it belongs in the shooters forum
Arrow_Flynn

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 12:51:00 AM »
You need a bigger keyboard! Man, that was hard to read!!!!

And yes, I agree! If your hand is in a different place for each shot, you will not be as accurate.

Bisch

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »
If you shoot a straight grip regularly you can get very consistent with it.  A lot depends on how you grip it to begin with.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »
Folks that try to treat a straight grip the same as a recurve grip tend to have placement problems. With a Hill style bow and gripped in a Hill fashion most find that it is not as touchy as most would believe and find it to be very repeatable. The size of the grip must match the shooter's hand to some extent.

Offline Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 04:06:00 PM »
No problem here with my Hill grips.  The narrow grip is very repeatable once you get used to it.  I have big hands and find no problem with the skinny grips at all.  

I agree with Pavan.
They're not the same as a recurve or locator grips. In my opinion, handshock comes from bad grip position on good bows not the other way around.

Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 04:49:00 PM »
The bow design and shooting style around a straight grip comes from the different philosophy of archery.  Hill's bows were basically tillered as staves.  In the adventure years of archery, group size on a target was just one aspect of the possibilities. As a result of the ambition to try shoot many different animals with a bow, the shooting style was one where accuracy, versatility and speed were all equally important.

Online Doc Pain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 08:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
If you shoot a straight grip regularly you can get very consistent with it.  A lot depends on how you grip it to begin with.
Works for me    :thumbsup:
If it isn't life or death, it's no big deal.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 09:22:00 PM »
i shoot hill style longbows and dont have any trouble grouping with them.  

Personally, i think he was one of the most accurate shooters ive seen. Extremely confident in his ability. He had to be in order to take some of those shots!!

It worked fantastically for him, but all shooters are different. It may not work for you, but that dont mean its not perfect for others.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 01:03:00 AM »
Everybody is different but the Hill style grip is easy to get the same hand placement to me.

Online Doc Pain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »
I guess the way I look at it is with the simple Hill style grip
I am able to set my hand the way I want it where as with a pistol or locator style grip I am forced to place my hand where the bow maker wants it.
If it isn't life or death, it's no big deal.

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »
I gave away a Robertson Pierce Point with the locator shallow recurvey grip for that very reason.  It was a good bow, but it was not how I naturally grip a bow when shooting at a deer.  I have way too many thoughts in my head all the time anyway.  I think two of Hill's big tricks was that he was always going for the next hardest thing and he could shoot with a very clear minded focus. His bow grip did not get in the way of his concentration, if it did, he took out the files and fixed it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©