3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big Horn Bows......a question???  (Read 625 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Big Horn Bows......a question???
« on: April 06, 2017, 11:55:00 AM »
I'm looking a possible trade for a Big Horn T/D recurve. This one has the curved limb beds. 62" and it's 45# @ 28". Don't see many at that poundage. What do you think of these bows and would they be from about the 80's?
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Horn Bows......a question???
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »
Ron,

I have a 1989 model Custom Bighorn with curved beds. I believe the redisign beds were early 90's.

And I like mine, probably not the fastest but a good stable good looking bow.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 01:14:00 PM »
They were the first custom bows I ever purchased back in the late 80's. As Ron above stated probably not the fastest but they were very stable forgiving shooters, I really liked mine and wish I had never sold the first one I ever bought.

I just ordered them in too heavy poundage. Back then I was too stupid to know better.
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 01:51:00 PM »
If the accent stripe comes to a point in the front of the handle, those were the oldest. I'm guessing early to mid to late eighties. What came after that was a curved accent stripe thru the center of the handle. Again, guessing, I think late eighties into the ninety's.

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 01:59:00 PM »
Ron, email sent.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 02:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by stagetek:
If the accent stripe comes to a point in the front of the handle, those were the oldest. I'm guessing early to mid to late eighties. What came after that was a curved accent stripe thru the center of the handle. Again, guessing, I think late eighties into the ninety's.
The bow I'm looking at has a curved accent strip. It separates a light and dark wood.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 03:00:00 PM »
My first custom too. Mine is from 87. Did anyone mention the they are not the fastest bow because the are not. Lol. I don't shoot mine very often anymore but I will say that it is one of the most shootable bows I have had. I can just pick it up and the arrows just fly right where I am looking.

Online oldtimerbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »
I have a couple of them, one I have owned for 20+ years, they are on my will not sell list.
oldtimerbow

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 08:23:00 PM »
I have lots of them including 2 Special Editions.  I wish they were still being made.  Ive had a couple Silvertips made using Bighorns as my inspiration in design.

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »
Excellent bows. I suggest take advantage of the opportunity at hand. I have 3 big horns and they are keepers.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 02:39:00 AM »
All the Bighorn bows are accurate shooters quiet and dependable hunting bows, they were not speed demons.
The curved bed design is for sure the more collectible but the best performers were the one made during the KOM era when they started to make some very nice true custom bows.
The Special edition Keith is talking about are been of inspiration for more than just one modern bowyer.
Overall a must have bow for a collector
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 03:10:00 AM »
I've shot a several early 90s bighorns. All of them were superb in every regard except speed. I've never seen a big horn for sale that was less than 50 pounds though, you might have a jewel. I think the era in which they were built was one of higher poundage fad?

Offline troy butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »
I have a late 90's model and its a shooter. Don't think I would sell it. Wish I had of gotten it in the 50-55lb instead of 62lb that is my only regret.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 09:42:00 AM »
I to order mine with high poundage 63#@31".  I was new to traditional and had no guidance beside magazines back then.

Order based on compound draw length and what I "thought" I could handle

Online Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 11:39:00 AM »
An Asbell-era Bighorn (flat limb beds) was my first custom bow as well, and the only bow I carried in the field or at the range for over a decade. It is a heavier weight bow than I can shoot comfortably for extended periods now, but it remains the bow I've shot the best over the years. No speed demon, but stable & consistent with many varieties of shafts. I still call it Ol' Faithful, and it won't leave my limited stable of bows in my life time. I've always regretted not buying a one piece Bighorn... great bows!
Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 11:44:00 AM »
I'll state also that the thought to sell my Bighorn has crossed my mind , but it is either pushed far from it by my wife or me.

She looks at it as an "heirloom" to pass down to the children and I reckon she right and my own personal sentimental value make me hold on to it.

Some things in life are just meant for eternity!

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 04:03:00 PM »
Ive always wanted a 2pc BH longbow.  I heard they didn't make many of them.  Ive been looking for years.

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »
I have a 2000 Grand Slam 3pc. 62" bow on the 17" riser, 70 pounds at 29" and It's PLENTY fast enough. It'll knock the block over backwards.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 06:16:00 PM »
70 pounds.......I would need 2 guys to help me string it.......   :biglaugh:

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 06:52:00 PM »
My asbell curved bed Bighorn will stay with me for life.

I spent a weekend at Fred's house about 5 or 6 years ago and after sitting in his library for a couple of hours listening to all the hilarious and intriguing stories from his archery past, including bighorn bows, I had him take his pocket knife out of his pocket, scrape the finish off a section of my riser, and sign his name on my Bighorn.

Every time I handle that Bighorn, it takes me back to Fred's library and a cold drink in hand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©