3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Straight down treestand shot: Would you take it?  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Straight down treestand shot: Would you take it?
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »
I have taken a straight down shot in my rookie season. It was an almost instant kill but I was extremely lucky. Now that I know better I will never take a shot like that again.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 09:42:00 PM »
Well I'm very surprised by the responses. I may be changing my opinion on this shot myself based on my own limited experience and everyone here. It sounds like the consensus is the same as I've experienced, very very poor blood trails and tough tracking eminent.

Keep them coming guys I'd like to hear more experiences

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2017, 09:53:00 PM »
I would like to say that I would go for D, but I won't lie. In the heat of the moment $hit happens. I have killed several straight or almost straight down and had 1 get away that had a deflection. I have auto pilot issues! Next thing I know I'm standing there with an empty bow. My concentration is so great that I literally lock out everything, which is good but bad at the same time.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2017, 11:05:00 PM »
To be respectful it is a poor decision I too have had this Scenario numerous times

Any somewhat experienced bowhunter passed on this low percentage shot

Pretty basic decision in my opinion

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 11:30:00 PM »
B or C, I have actually had good luck with this shot on deer.  Now that age has forced me to shoot lighter weight bows, it might not be a good idea now.

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 11:51:00 PM »
I have taken this shot, it was my second shot on a buck that I already hit 18 yards out. He ran directly under my stand after I sent a arrow through the rib cage. He ran about another 30 yards and collapsed.
 As for a first shot scenario, Its a high risk shot on a animal that I respect. So the answer is no, rather wait for a better shot for a several reasons, one, deer will certainly jump, move erratic at the time of the shot changing a lot of factors such as exit holes. When the deer calms down that there's a good chance that the organs, membranes, intestines may be covering the exit hole thus making it difficult to track the animal. Another reason is the higher your up, stepper angle of the shot, the smaller the vitals are to hit. It's just my opinion.

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 11:57:00 PM »
Used to be my favorite shot. Have taken over a dozen with the shot. Seen most go down within sight. I say "used to be" because I am much pickier now. Got to have some angle.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2017, 12:08:00 AM »
D

I did it once and got lucky. I shot straight down through the off side lung.

Never again.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline KSshrewman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2017, 12:13:00 AM »
I've had this happen on two big KS bucks and both were either rattled or grunted in.  This first one was 165+.  Weak in the knees big for me.  I grunted him in from across the pasture.  Came on a string and walked directly to me...and under my stand in a cedar up about 9 ft...... I passed...shaking the whole time.  Never saw him again.  I say I passed...I was pretty buck feverish anyway on that one so passed partly because of shot and partly because he got the better or me.
The second .... several years later in a cedar about 10 ft.  I grunted until my tube froze up due to temps and then lightly rattled him across a large field.  Again on a string and directly under me and this was an old 12 pt buck we had seen.  Happened very fast with little time to think.  Because it was several years later...my confidence was higher.  I did take the shot just after he passed under stand.  Spined him...which was not the intent.  Another arrow and he was finished.  I wish now I had not taken the shot.  Even though it worked out ok...it could have more easily gone the other way.  I will pass next time and hope for another opportunity.
Shrew Classic Hunter
Javaman Elkheart
Javaman Helms Deep
Gill Snakey Self
Ben Pearson Colt
Swiftriver

PSALM 5:3  At Daybreak Lord,You Hear My Voice

Member "Kansas Coffey Club"

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2017, 01:39:00 AM »
Never took this type of shot on a deer. I see this type of shot on goats here in hawaii often, not from a treestand, but standing on top of a cliff above them. I agree. You have to have some angle. a single lung shot will kill a goat but listening to them cry for an hour while they pass is no good for the soul and I avoid it if at all possible. better to wait  for a quartering away shot or just pass all together.

d.

Msturm
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2017, 06:21:00 AM »
I took this shot on my first ever deer. Didn't have a clue about arrow placement.No blood trail to speak of and lost what little blood there was about 100 yards. In the area 2 months later bird hunting and found his skeleton with the broadhead still in the spine. A big 8 with matching drops-still have the rack as a reminder not to give up on a trail or put an animal through a long death. So D is the answer for me now even if I hunted from above.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2017, 06:39:00 AM »
D. I shot a mature doe straight down walking away several years ago. Never again. Several hours later, after crawling hands and knees tracking mostly by tracks and pinhead drops of blood, found her bedded but still alive. Had to make a finishing shot. Did not get an exit hole either and it was tough tracking. Lesson learned, I'll never take that shot again, and I got lucky on the one I did in that I was able to find her.
Mark 1:17

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2017, 07:33:00 AM »
I have passed on this shot because the angle of the bow feels unnatural and I'm pretty sure I do not have true full draw or proper aiming alignment.  Also I didn't think it was fair to the deer.  

It sounds to me most people responding to this thread have tried it and found out the hard way.  Fortunately we now have forums such as this to teach us.  

Then again I'm very picky about shot placement and seldom if ever get deer.  I don't want to be one of those guys who takes shots he knows he probably should not have then blame the miss on a deflection or such. We owe it to the game we pursue and to our sport to make good shot decisions otherwise we have people walking around talking about the nad tracking jobs, wounded and lost game and slow deaths.  I get that it accidentally happens but I do not believe it's an accident if someone chooses to do something they know isn't right and get a bad result.  

I would choose D
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2017, 08:26:00 AM »
I've taken the shot once. It was a small bodied deer. (Patoka Lake, Indiana late 80's). I was trying for a spine shot.  Missed the spine, exited through the heart and out the bottom. The doe was down after a profuse blood trail.

I've had very few situations where the deer was directly underneath. Stand placement prevented most of it.  I do have a favorite stand where deer walk by too close (4 yards). But I wait until they continue past and take a retreating angle at 8-10 yards...4 shots with a recurve from that spot and 4 dead deer.

I wait for a better shot but my set up generally makes that possible as the deer moves beyond my tree into an prearranged shot window.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2017, 08:44:00 AM »
Many years ago I took the shot when I didn't know better. Had a complete pass through and pink lung blood on the arrow. Tracked that deer for over a half mile up and down small hills and finally lost him when he went to the houses. Figured that's where he died. A week later my buddy killed him with a broadside shot. Every other tracking job with this shot I've helped on ended with a lost deer except one when the arrow clipped the heart. I'll only take the walking away shot if it presents itself.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2017, 08:53:00 AM »
Had that very thing happen with does a couple of times; didn't shoot then and never would. D all the way.
SWA Spyder

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2017, 09:15:00 AM »
A lot of guys say D here but I suspect that wouldn't always be the case in the field. Maybe, maybe not..

Not the ideal shot but one I have taken and will take again if conditions are right. No shot is 100% guaranteed

How many guys actually practice that shot? If you don't than D is the answer.

Personal decision based on confidence and proper equipment

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2017, 09:49:00 AM »
If it walks under me, it has to walk away.  I'd wait for it to get out a ways to see if a better shot angle develops. If not, I'd pass.

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2017, 09:52:00 AM »
With a gun I've taken this shot and had success, but I wouldn't with a bow.

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2017, 09:58:00 AM »
D, D and D.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©