3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Awesome random shoots you did after calling them  (Read 902 times)

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
Awesome random shoots you did after calling them
« on: April 07, 2017, 08:43:00 PM »
Let me start this thread: I once shot a heart shot on a 3D deer at about 50 or 60 yards after saying something like: Let me show you how it's done.
(of course this awesome shot was luck)

What is your called for unbelievable shot?

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Re: Awesome random shoots you did after calling them
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 09:19:00 PM »
Once while turkey hunting in the Loess Hills with my son.  We saw an old bucket about 70 or so yards down the hill with the open end straight at us. I took a loaded HTM and called the center.  I was about 1/2 inch right of center.  Actually my best shot was an orange golf ball while we were on ground squirrel patrol along the local golf course. I gave the orange golf ball a hardy over hand throw towards the open pasture and shot with an 85 pound Big Five. The steel blunt connected, knocking the golf ball off to the right at about 30 yards.  In both cases the witnesses declare the Great DL, dumb luck, and claimed that I couldn't do it again,  They were right, so I didn't try.

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 09:34:00 PM »
I once had one of those giant black and yellow bumble bees flying around my target, I was back at 20 yards and said watch this. The first shot was a clean miss but the second split that suck right in two mid flight. Pure luck lol!
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 09:34:00 PM »
A few years ago we crested a rise and right away saw two grouse about fifteen yards sitting on a log facing away. I whispered to my friend you take the one on the left I will take the other.  Then jokingly said,,..when you miss I will take that one too. He was shooting a compound, the latest and greatest, I an old Hill,  we both shot about the same time. My arrow decapitated my bird. His smacked into the log. His bird took wing and my second arrow center punched him about ten feet in the air.  We both stood there with our jaws open.  I was able to get mine shut and act like no big deal before he saw me....
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 11:16:00 PM »
When my son was 5 he had a little toy bow with suction cup tipped arrows. Squirrel season was in so we walked in to the oak grove behind the house. A squirrel ran up the side of a tree about 15 yards away, and my son said "take him dad". Without much thought I raised my bow and let the string loose. The arrow took the squirrel off the tree and down over the hill about another 15 yards. My longer legs allowed me to get to the "now very angry squirrel" and dispatch it before he caught up.

He later told his kindergarten buddies what a terrific bowshot his dad was. He's 38 years old now!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 11:19:00 PM »
One day I was complaining to my friend about how my shooting was inconsistent.  I told him, "Sometimes I can call a shot and hit it right on, but sometimes I'm way off.  Watch this... I'll shoot an arrow into this hole (pointing to a single arrow hole in my foam target) right now, and I know I'll hit it."  I walked back to about 12 yards and then shot an arrow perfectly into that hole.  I  couldn't believe I called it!  But I just took it all in stride and said,"See what I mean?"
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 11:32:00 PM »
Before I had my first decent trad bow, I use to make bows using bent sticks and a piece of string. For an arrow I used an old compound arrow. My bows were usually really short and I only drew them maybe 20". One day my uncle picked an apple off of one our trees and asked if I could hit it and I said of course. It was partly sarcasm, but I thought I might be able to hit. What I didn't expect was for him to throw the apple up in the air. I don't know how I did it but the next thing I knew I had skewered the apple and my uncle was staring at me with this stunned look on his face. He still talks about that shot. I knew that it was just dumb luck so I haven't attempted it since.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 12:04:00 AM »
I called and hit a Coke can that had to be at least 75yd out in a field we entered.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 12:46:00 AM »
I called a shot once...and missed    :biglaugh:

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 12:01:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Arnette:
I called a shot once...and missed     :bigsmyl:

Great stories everyone, thank you!
   :campfire:  

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 01:24:00 PM »
At the stump shoot in Rockwood N.Y.........30-35 yards at a spray paint can on a stump. Center punched it with my Hill bow named "Oscar". I even surprised myself.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 11:00:00 PM »
Not exactly the same thing.  One of the fellows we shoot with always wanted for everyone to put a dollar in the pot, then someone would call the next target, but it couldn't be from the stake. Closest arrow wins the pot.  One day as the group was approaching the next target, he called for the bet, then said the target was the white trash on the path ahead.  He drilled it perfectly, and when we approached, found that it was a VERY dirty diaper.  I think that arrow is still there.

Murray
Murray Seratt

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 11:38:00 PM »
I was out stumping with a buddy and he nailed a spot at about 25 yards on an old fir stump. I looked at him and said "OK buddy, your nock's comin' right off." He looked at me with that "yeah, right" kinda grin. I took my shot, blew his nock off and gave him the same look. Couldn't do it again if you put a gun to my head but it was sure sweet when it happened.
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »
well, last fall we were in the back yard in da UP, after dinner with light fast leaving us.  The four of us were roving, shooting at whatever caught our eye.  

We set up a hard plastic dog retrieval dummy, stuck upright in the sand.   We try for its rope eye at maybe ten to fifteen yards.  

On this occasion, we were goofing around and it got dark.  We brought out one of those high beam flashlights and kept goofing around.  It was now dark and we were maybe 65 yards away from that little dummy.  Mike shined the light and Dave and Todd shot, getting close.   I queued up, got ready to draw. then told Mike to turn off the light.  He did, I drew and aimed at the darkness where I just saw my target, and a half second later heard it hit...  I won't tell you about all the misses I made that same evening.

Offline killzthemost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 07:24:00 PM »

Offline killzthemost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »
I was finishing up shooting for the day walking back to the house I seen a water bottle at least 50 yards that my boy was shooting at with a bb gun . I bore a hole in with focus and then my arrow did!!! I was so happy then my head wouldn't fit in the doorway to the house.lol

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 11:14:00 AM »
we were at camp in Maine some years ago messing around with judos and I saw this surveyors tape at 50+ yrds and announced that I was going to cut the branch right off!!gripped it n ripped it and the judo didn't exactly cut it off but.....

Mike

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 03:59:00 PM »
Great stories!

I took my boys out for some stump shooting one day.  They had some ambidextrous easton recurves that were about 15# at my draw & some cheap kid arrows from Rose City.  The boys were about 6 & 4.  After flinging arrows for a while, I tried to explain archery golf to them.  They weren't quite understanding so I thought I'd try a demonstration & asked for one of their bows & an arrow.  From up on a hill, I said, "You see that pipe sticking up at about 70 yards out?  I'm going to fling an arrow & see how close I can get."  I figured the arrow would land only 40-50 yards out.  Pointing it way up in the air and way off to the right, we all watched the arrow sail up slowly, arc & then accelerate toward the ground, landing at the base of the pipe, just off to the right with the feathers touching it.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 04:02:00 PM »
My new four band sling shot, down in the basement.  "Let me show you how much power this thing has."  GRINK off the frame, DRUNG off the furnace duct, CADILANK off of my to be fixed stash of arrows, BENG off a pipe,TONK off the washer, GRUCK off the corner of door window frame, and finally THUNK OUWE OUWE on the back of my head.  'I told you this think had power.'

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 09:46:00 PM »
I shot a wasp in half.  that was cool.  My best friend witnessed it and said it was the coolest shot he's seen with any bow or gun to date.

Also got stopped by a game warden for "poaching" while stump shooting.  I told him I was just keeping in practice shooting stumps and bugs.  He cut me an eye like I was full of the stinky stuff and said, "Like that dragonfly over there? That's a bug.  You got one shot.  Hit it and you've got my attention.  Miss and you've got my ticket."  The dragonfly was about 13-15 yards out and I said, "Sure thing.  That's exactly what I came out here to do." and low and behold I nailed it.  When I hit it he said he couldn't tell if I split the bug or just the leaf it was on.  I found half of him and retrieved it.  Wardens in that area were obnoxiously aggressive.  From that day on I never once had a single one stop and ask me anything other than if I've had a good time.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©