3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Awesome random shoots you did after calling them  (Read 903 times)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Awesome random shoots you did after calling them
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2017, 05:40:00 PM »
I was shooting on my property with a younger neighbor who I was teaching how to shoot. I had a judo on and told him to jam a stick into the ground  about 50 yards away. I proceeded to hit the stick first try which amazed him to no end.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2017, 06:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by GDPolk:
I shot a wasp in half.  that was cool.  My best friend witnessed it and said it was the coolest shot he's seen with any bow or gun to date.

Also got stopped by a game warden for "poaching" while stump shooting.  I told him I was just keeping in practice shooting stumps and bugs.  He cut me an eye like I was full of the stinky stuff and said, "Like that dragonfly over there? That's a bug.  You got one shot.  Hit it and you've got my attention.  Miss and you've got my ticket."  The dragonfly was about 13-15 yards out and I said, "Sure thing.  That's exactly what I came out here to do." and low and behold I nailed it.  When I hit it he said he couldn't tell if I split the bug or just the leaf it was on.  I found half of him and retrieved it.  Wardens in that area were obnoxiously aggressive.  From that day on I never once had a single one stop and ask me anything other than if I've had a good time.
That's what I call pressure!
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Chuck Janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »
My son told me about a guy who asked to shoot his friends arrow at a turkey target. It was a tight shot but the shooter said something along the lines of "watch this"  the arrow was spined too weak for the bow and came out fishtailing hard. It busted in a bunch of pieces as it bounced off the trees along the way.  

My son said it was spectacular     :knothead:      :biglaugh:
Life at it's Longest is Short

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2017, 10:13:00 PM »
I worked at a lumber yard for years so I'd collect any styrofoam I could come up with from damaged material to shipping material.  I'd cut it up and make 2' x 2' blocks out of it. One evening while shooting,  My cousin took aim and hit the bullseye dead center.  When he did it flipped the target up.  So his arrow was now fletching pointed toward the sky and I said I'm gonna shoot into the target and T-bone your arrow... I shot and we heard a crack, when he went to pull his arrow out it was skewered by my arrow.  We had to pull mine out to remove his.  Only a few carbon fibers on each side of his arrow held it together.  Thats been 16years ago and we still talk about it today!

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 06:28:00 AM »
I was at a bow shoot somewhere around 1990. It was my first real year shooting trad. We had just finished up a "shootoff" to separate a tie in one of the compound classes.  The tie breaker was a small crab apple placed on the target butt at about 35 yards.

After the two shooters shot off, a few of us began some random shooting at the bails.  I looked at the crab apple (maybe 2" in dia.) and said, "watch this".  I drew, released, and proceeded to hit the apple perfectly in the center from 35 yards.

There were a couple dozen people watching, all compound shooters. I heard several guys say, "do it again!", and "he doesn't even have sights!"

I promptly pulled my arrow and walked away quietly!!    :biglaugh:

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 08:54:00 AM »
It was deer season 1998, The rut was on hot and heavy. My dad and I decided to head out early for a evening hunt on our property back east. We came to where we split up. As I approached my stand I heard the distinctive sound of something coming my way fast, so I nocked  an arrow just as a big mature doe busted out of the honey suckle 30 yards away. She literally stopped 8-10 yards away from me, she kept looking behind her. A few seconds later a 10 pointer emerged from the honey suckle hot on her trail. He stopped at the very same spot as the doe just stood, 8-10 yards from me, but quartering towards me. He stood there what seemed like forever. I decided to take the shot. As soon as he looked behind him, I drawled my bow and released. My arrow slammed hard into his front portion of his shoulder blade heading towards his broiler room. Looked as if I had about 16-18 inches of penetration as he crashed off back through the honey suckle.
 I gave it about 20 minutes and then I slowly backed out as quiet as possible. I went to get my father and we gave it another hour before we started to track him, ever so slowly and quiet. About 100 yards into our tracking we jumped several deer so we backed out and swung down toward the creek that was some what flooded. To our surprise, the buck jumped up with my arrow clearly visible, 30 yards away and went crashing into the creek. Both of us literally ran to the creeks edge. The buck emerged from the creek on the other side with a burst of energy stopping just ten yards on the other side looking up the hill as if seeing where to go. I noched another arrow and drew my bow. I could only see partial of the bucks neck, base of the skull because of a tree that was between us and him. I can still hear my dad whispering to me, make it count as I let my arrow fly. My arrow dusted off the edge of that tree and continued on to the base of the bucks neck, dropping him instantly in his tracks! The shot was 45 yards. I never took another quartering to me shot again. My dad still talks about that shot as if it was yesterday. The bow that I was shooting that day was a Martin Dreamcatcher, 55@28, tipped with a Zwickey 2 blade. As for the buck, he is mounted on my wall. One of my most memorable hunts.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2017, 05:44:00 PM »
I was elk hunting with Fred Eichler about 12 years ago and I had known him for a few years then so I wasn't just a client but someone that he could jazz some.

On the way down the mountain we see his truck parked I would guess at least 100 yards away if not 150. He goes "the closet one that shoots to the truck wins" My reply was "are you an idiot one of us is going to hit the truck and we will be stranded."

Well there was a piece of wood the size of a laptop ten yards in front of the truck in the road. He takes the shot and goes over it by about a foot sticking in hill of the road. And yells out "that shot would have killed a deer" I figured I'm never going to hear the end of this so I tilt my bow arm way up and let fly and we watch as the arrow hits the wood perfectly. We both look at each other astonished and I won't tell you what we both said. Luckiest shot I ever made.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 06:00:00 PM »
Way back I was invited by my mentor in archery to go to my first 3D shoot.  He was beating me soundly until about 1/2 way through we had a 20 yd deer target.  His arrow hit something in the kill, bounced out and hung across the kill zone vertically.  I said "double points" if I hit your arrow.  He laughed and said go for it.  Yep cut his arrow in half and got a 10.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline tradhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2017, 06:02:00 PM »
Years back a friend of mine and I were out at a 3-D shoot. We come across one of those giant frog targets, and my friend says a buck for who hits closest to the eye? I said sure, I'll hit the eye! So I shoot.....and he just hands me the dollar when I centered it....lol
The wishbone will never replace the backbone.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©