3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: silencers for longbow  (Read 1650 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
silencers for longbow
« on: April 07, 2017, 08:50:00 PM »
whats a good string silencer for longbows? I heard you cant split the string fibers like a recurve i didnt know how true that is or not? thanks guys
kyle
aim small miss small

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: silencers for longbow
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 08:56:00 PM »
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »
Sure you split string fibers, I use alpaca wool fibers.

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 01:20:00 AM »
I have used a variety of silencers on longbows.  Cat Whiskers, wool yarn, fur.  Install the silencer of your choice into the string just like a string on any other bow.  

For longbows, I do like fur since it just looks cool on a longbow, IMO.  You can buy precut fur strips, or if you have a chunk of fur, just cut a strip about 3/8" wide and 4 or 5 inches long, split the string into equal halves, wrap the fur strip around.  There's a bunch of videos on youtube...just search for "How to Install Fur String Silencers"
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 04:56:00 AM »
Kyle,
  If you don't mind something non-traditional, I tried the rubber 'Wishbone' wrap around silencers which I got through 3Rivers. The advantages are that they wrap around the string, can be moved to tune simply by sliding up or down the string, and they are unaffected by wet conditions. They work for me. Good hunting this year!
                             Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 07:44:00 AM »
I've tried several.  In my experience: fur looks the best, nappy and thick wool puffs work the best when dry, and cat whiskers work the best in varied weather conditions.  You can split your strings or tie them on.  I use a 3-string system that I came up with so that I know I always have a fresh string on hunts, always have a fresh and tuned backup string for hunts, and can have a better looking string to wear out playing in the yard.  Also if something happens to my hunting string on a hunt, I can use my practice string as a temporary backup.  It costs me one string a year per bow to keep them rotated.

My 3-string per bow method:  
  • newest string: This is a dedicated hunting string that I only use when pursuing animals so it has the freshest serving/nock fit and least wear.  I use catwhiskers on it.  This string gets replaced yearly at the St. Judes benefit auctions.
  • One year old string: This is my backup hunting string.  It stays in my hunting pack.  I keep catwhiskers on it.  I move last season's hunting string in the pack yearly when I get a new one from the St. Judes auctions.  This gives me a darn near new string, pre-stretched, and pre-tuned that's ready to go at all times in my pack.
  • two year old string: This is my backup string that gets rotated out of the pack which that typically still has very few shots on it.  I strip the catwhiskers off and replace them with fur which makes it easily identified and looks better.  It becomes my practice string for at home.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 08:00:00 AM »
The black widow spider silencers are my favorite.  Cheap, durable and they don't soak up water or pick up burrs.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Adirondack Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 08:32:00 AM »
Amsteel  Dyneema rope from west marine. best material I've every used. Trad Talk site was the original post about it

Offline TealCoin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 08:45:00 AM »
I like to use material I already have, just to save some cash.  I really enjoy fishing, and my wife will say I have too much fishing gear.  

I split my string and put in a spinner bait skirt for my silencer.  They are very durable and do the job.  Color options are endless and they are very, very cheap.

Offline flyguysc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 08:49:00 AM »
Quality string and proper Brace Height. Then you want need a fur coat.Just cat whisker If you do not like the boing sounds the string makes.
Winners make commitments ,Loser make excuses

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
I like beaver, muskrat, or otter fir the best and I've started ising two on the string for a much quieter bow.

Offline Bob Abeln

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 10:53:00 AM »
Two Tracks string scallops. I put a double set on. Very light and super easy to install. Best silencers i've used.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 01:37:00 PM »
I usually use fur silencers, just because I like the way they look. I have also used wool and rubber. They have all worked well for me.
Sam

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 02:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by nhbuck1:
whats a good string silencer for longbows? I heard you cant split the string fibers like a recurve i didnt know how true that is or not? thanks guys
kyle
You absolutely can split the fibers on a longbow string.
They are the same string in most respects as a recurves's..maybe a different loop size but that's about it.

I like bowhush for silencers.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 03:29:00 PM »
Woolie Whispers are what we have found we like beast
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 03:56:00 PM »
I like crabby man silencers off the bay. They're cheap and they work very well. They do stiffen up your set up  though because they are bigger than normalcy

Offline KevinK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 03:59:00 PM »
I am partial now to rubber cat whiskers. I like to do multiple colors and make them look cool. Plus, they are also very cheap. I used to use beaver fur on my longbows because they look cool but if you get string wax on them (I over wax my strings) they look like drowned rats and seem to slow down my bow too much (possibly from excessive string wax on the fur). Longbows don't seem to need as much silencing so you can't really go wrong with anything.
Life can be complicated. Hunting shouldn't be.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 06:40:00 PM »
Two Tracks wool scallops. They work great, look cool, and I can easily take them off a string and put them on another.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 09:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by DannyBows:
Two Tracks wool scallops. They work great, look cool, and I can easily take them off a string and put them on another.
X2    :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline flyguysc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 07:37:00 AM »
Cat Whiskers can aid in fine tuning by adjusting them up and down the string,pretty simple.Moving hair balls is a different issue.
Winners make commitments ,Loser make excuses

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©