3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone in Maine?  (Read 616 times)

Offline dresnor

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone in Maine?
« on: April 08, 2017, 07:21:00 AM »
I am new to traditional archery and I am looking to shoot with people who have done it for a while and don't mind me picking their brain. I have learned a lot from here and youtube, but I feel if I shoot with someone and I am being "pushed" I can grow as an archer.

I am also trying to find an archery club near Oxford County.

Jeremy

Offline DDyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone in Maine?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 04:56:00 PM »
Check out Maine Traditional Archers website, we have 4 shoots a year including a 3 day rendezvous in July. I'm not far from southern Oxford county.PM me and maybe we can get together sometime
were it worth the trouble? Huh? What trouble?

Offline riser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 08:03:00 PM »
I live in the Waterville, ME area. I shoot at the 3d club in Skowhegan, ME  (Somerset Bowhunters)-not that far from your western Maine location.  Near the Kennebec River, just south of Rt 2.  Just down the road from Eaton Moutain (ski resort) on the Eaton Mountain Rd.

http://somersetbowhunters.com/default.htm  

We also shoot weekly, Wednesday evenings, 5 pm for "fun" league competiton.

There are other 3d clubs in Maine.  Each club holds 3-4 "big" shoots (30+ targets/round).

You're welcome to visit our club anytime.  Membership is only $15/ year for individual, and $20 /year for the family.  "Big shoots" are an additional fee.  Something like ~$20 for each club.  

I'm a trad shooter at the Somerset club.  Would be glad to help you anytime.  Sent email with contact info.

Good luck.

Here is the cut/pasted 2017 3d shoot schedule for all the cental Maine events (from the Somerset Bowhunters website > calendar:
-------------------------------------------------
Calendar of Events

CENTRAL MAINE 3D SHOOT SCHEDULE 2017
Registration Time: 8:00am - 11:00am (earlier the better)

April 30      OLD TOWN

MAY 7         SOMERSET

MAY 21        SOMERSET

JUNE 4        OLD TOWN

JUNE 11       BEN'S TRADING POST

JUNE 18       CENTRAL FISH & GAME

JUNE 25       SOMERSET BOWHUNTERS-

LESTER CORSON MEMORIAL SHOOT

JULY 2         BEN'S TRADING POST

JULY 9         CENTRAL FISH & GAME

JULY 16        OUTDOOR SPORTSMAN

JULY 23        BUCKSMILLS

JULY 30        LAKESIDE

AUGUST 6      STATE SHOOT - OUTDOOR SPORTSMAN (40 targets)

ADULTS  $20.00

YOUTH   $10.00

CUBS    $5.00

PEE WEE  FREE

FAMILY  $40.00

AUGUST 13        BEN'S TRADING POST

AUGUST 27        OLD TOWN

SEPTEMBER 10     OLD TOWN
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Offline dresnor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 06:29:00 AM »
Thanks guys!

I don't feel I am ready to compete since I have only been shooting trad for 2 weeks, but it does look like a lot of fun and is in the plans for the future.

How far do the shot distances on the targets range from? Anything I need to by to help my 3d archery experience?

Riser, I got you e mail, thank you very much! We will have to meet up for sure.

Jeremy

Offline khperkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 10:13:00 AM »
I live in the Bangor area, and just starting out also. MTA, like someone else suggested, is pretty good.
Hoyt Pro Hunter 58" 40#
Samick Sage 62" 50#@28"

Offline riser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 12:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by dresnor:
Thanks guys!

I don't feel I am ready to compete since I have only been shooting trad for 2 weeks, but it does look like a lot of fun and is in the plans for the future.

How far do the shot distances on the targets range from? Anything I need to by to help my 3d archery experience?

Riser, I got you e mail, thank you very much! We will have to meet up for sure.

Jeremy
I have to disagree with your concerns about "not being ready to compete" because you're just starting out with trad.  Conversely, entering one of these friendly events are VERY educational.  You'll be with a group of 6-8+ experienced trad shooters for 2-3 hours.  Where else can you get that kind of access to wisdom, experience, have the opportunity to not only see other bows, but will likely be able to shoot them.

You can ask the other archers question after question.  It doesn't get any better than that.  True, there are some very good "shooters", but it's not about the score.  Everyone I've met in the 3d shoots understand the growth of our sport is a direct relation to how we "bring new folks into the fold."   It's really an enjoyable time.

You will get better.  But by attending these shoots, you will learn things that you can work into your practice at home.  This will only provide a stronger foundation, and a faster track to improvement.  While I LIKE winning, and am competitive, it is really about doing your best at any level you are-and improving.

Do not be intimidated.  Have fun.  The other shooters know a new shooter.  Guess what?  EVERYONE was once a first time shooter at a 3d event.  

I remember my first 3d event about 4 years ago.  I purchased a Samick Journey with 30# limbs.  I had it for 2 weeks, and then I went to a 40 shot 3d shoot at Somerset Bowhunters.  I missed several targets, but no one threw me off the course. That was late in the summer.  At least I had a chance to experience it, so I could focus on the next year.  I did better in year 2, and better in years 3 and 4.  I've enjoyed every minute of it.

I'll be glad to shoot with you at these shoots.  Just be prepared to take a little ribbing from the rest of the shooters-as long as you're willing to give some back with a smile.

A week before I got my Samick Journey, I wanted to see how a shoot "worked."  It was the Maine state 3d shoot at our club.  I had the chance to walk the course with some compound shooters, then swerved (found) the trad guys.  The 3 man group of the compound shooters I walked with were very willing to answer my questions.  They DID tell me that the compound group ahead were "serious", and even talking a target away would  draw dirty looks (I think they were "open" class).

I was told by the 3 compound shooters that some compound shooters weren't too fun to shoot with-which is why these guys were shooting themselves.  They complimnented each other on good shots, and teased each other on bad shots-all in fun.  They told me that the "trad guys were even more fun to shoot with.  They trash talk each other all the time.  You can hear them laughing the whole shoot.  The serious compound guys don't have that approach."    I liked that.  I found it true. It is fun to shoot in a trad grouping.

Try it.  You WILL like it. It's all about being as competitive as YOU can be, having fun, and being supportive of each other.  Bring a friend or family member, and hop right in.

What are you shooting for a bow (draw weight, length? Arrows? tip weight? shooting tab? split finger or 3 under release?)?

Most 3d events have different classes of shooters (most for compounders), and go by IBO 3d competition rules-or modify them a bit for each local shoot.  There are different stakes or makers on each target, depending on what  class you shoot.  There are classes from younger to more advanced.  Traditional recurve shooting has two classes, aided and unaided.  Basically, the unaided class is shooting barebow or shooting off the shelf.  Aided class means you shoot off an elevated rest.  Check out the IBO rules.

Distances of the stakes/markers vary depending on the class-and they are just "guidelines."  Some trad shoots are set for a maximum of 25 yards, some 30 yards, some even longer.  The marker isn't  set at the same distance.  It can be as close as 3-5 yards, out to  25-30 yards.  MOST shots are in the 17-23 yard range.  Practice at 15,20 and 25 yards and you'll be ok.

Youtube is a great source of education for trad shooting.

Jimmy Blackmon, VAbowdog, Arne Moe, Jeff Cavanaugh, the "Wedge Series" and MANY others have great videos.  It is a learning process.  Enjoy the journey.  You will know more NEXT year than this year.  Be patient, and watch the improvement.

Good luck

Offline dresnor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

My bow is a 53# @ 28 60" Recurve made by Robert Macllvane in Vermont. I am shooting Black Eagle Vintages 400 spine. I got a test field point test kit from 100- 250 grains. The 250 grain tips seem to fly the best.

I am shooting with a glove, but a tab looks interesting. So far I like 3 under better than split finger. I am shooting off the shelf.

I have been doing a ton of research but need more practical application.

Jeremy

Offline riser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 04:48:00 PM »
Probably a great how-to just not familiar with it.

Initial comment is that 53# is a pretty strong draw weight for a first bow.  You may want to look fo a bow in the 30-35# range  It will permit you to practice longer before getting fatigued.  This will allow you to reinforce technique.  A used 30-35# Samick Sage (62") can be picked up for under $100 on ****.  Then, shoot the heck out of it.

Offline dresnor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 08:15:00 PM »
I agree that 53# is a bit much to learn on, but I doubt I will get the old lady's permission to buy another bow. I might be able to get the bowyer to make me some lighter limbs down the road. For now I am maxed out on the "getting new toys" front.

Maybe if I can find a screaming deal on one...

Jeremy

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 10:10:00 AM »
Jeremy,

I am in the midcoast, Waldoboro.  Give a holler anytime you want to come shoot.  I have a target set up all the time.  I have some light weight bows to work on form with.  Also some experience in arrow tuning and coaching.  

Mike
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline dresnor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 11:06:00 AM »
Thanks maineac! There are a lot more people around that shoot trad than I thought.

Maybe we can all meet up and have a Maine tradgang.com gathering.

Jeremy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©