3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First Successful Hunt  (Read 465 times)

Offline Chris Iversen

• Trad Bowhunter
First Successful Hunt
« on: April 10, 2017, 12:06:00 PM »
Hi guys. This is the first time I've started my own thread. Sharing mostly for myself, to get my thoughts down from the mental journey I've been experiencing since Saturday morning. But you are all welcome to read as well. And offer some thought of your own, if you like.

I'm 45 years old, and never hunted until this year. My parents weren't hunters, none of my close friends are hunters, so it's something I've never really experienced up close.

For my 45th birthday, my wife bought me a bow for my birthday. I'm trying to simplify things in life, so I decided to go with a traditional bow. With my Cabela's gift card, I tried a number of different recurve bows, and went with the PSE Mustang, 40#@28 inches. Thus began my life as an archery enthusiast. I started going to the Calgary Archery Centre fairly regularly, I started searching YouTube for tips from Jeff Kavanaugh, Jimmy Blackmon, Grizzly Jim, Clay Hayes, and others. I watched The Push many times as well. Eventually, I set up a hay bale backstop in the yard, and started shooting every day.

Throughout my journey over the last few months, I naturally became interested in traditional bowhunting. I took the Hunter's Education course, and now I'm anxiously waiting for archery hunting season to start in late August/early September. In the meantime, I continue to shoot every day, but I wanted to try developing my stalking skills on a live animal.

White tailed jackrabbits are abundant here on the Southern Alberta prairies, and are legal to hunt year round without a licence. I have a friend who owns a bumbleberry orchard, and owns a winery out here. Jacks are very common in his orchards, as are mule deer, and my son and I spotted a group of whitetail does, last time we were there. Yes, he gave us permission to hunt in the orchards and for the last few weekends, my son and I have been spending time practicing our stalking skills, learning a lot, and rarely getting close enough to take a shot. Until last Saturday.

I managed to sneak up to about 25 yards from one. All of my research through talking to other hunters at the archery centre, or reading on the internet, said to use blunt points, and to try for head shots. Just like the thousands of times looking at a static target, I drew my bow, got to anchor, expanded, and released an arrow, all the while, focused on the rabbit's eye... The arrow found its spot less than 1/2 inch below. To my surprise, it didn't die instantly. It slowly ran off and stumbled around with the arrow lodged in its skull. I used a Zwickey Judo small game head (125 grain). My son and I spent a couple of minutes trying to catch it, and when we did, we ended it's suffering by cutting its throat. Bleeding out took longer than I expected. After bringing it home, I skinned and dressed it, and harvested the meat. My wife made an absolutely delicious rabbit stew for Sunday dinner, and I experienced the expected sense of pride found when eating a meal from an animal I harvested myself.

What I didn't expect, was the number of emotions I have experienced since that near perfect shot last Saturday morning. Excitement, joy, pride. But also remorse, guilt, and sadness. The "positive" emotions were expected. As were the "negative" ones, but not with the intensity I experienced. I've never killed anything before. Aside from fish, or turkeys, when my father in law raised them. In the 30 hours between harvesting the rabbit, and eating it, my emotions were up and down. I celebrated the shot, it was near precision. I felt so bad the rabbit didn't die instantly. I kept seeing it stumble around over and over, both in my thoughts and during my sleep that night. I was thankful for the sacrifice the rabbit made to feed my family. I questioned whether or not I had the gumption for hunting. It was quite the experience.

Today, I am more at peace. I wouldn't say I am over it, but I have had time to reflect. I am beginning to understand. All life is precious, and I can understand why people are against hunting. However, Life is cyclical, death is part of it, and other lives are affected by the end of another. The fact that I felt remorse, and guilt and sadness, were natural emotions. They remind me that I am a decent person. Modern society has made hunting for our own sustenance optional, and for many people, unnecessary. It's easy to be condemn it, especially if you have never hunted. It's easy to ask why do people need to do this. The experience is why. To me anyway.

Last night's dinner was a culmination of many different experiences since I bought that bow last December. It is also the beginning of many more. I've learned that I am becoming a hunter, not a cold blooded killer. It has taught me the type of hunter I want to be. I know I will never be a trophy hunter, intent on harvesting the biggest, most impressive animals. Or to have the desire to harvest many different species. No, that's not me. It might be great for others, and I respect that. But not for me. When I go out to hunt, it is to provide for my family. It is to get outside, alone, or with people close to me. It is to get close to an animal, to bring yourself into its world. For me, its not about the kill. That will always be my least favourite part. I know that remorse and sadness will always be a part of that, but also they are part of the entire experience.

I think I'm starting to get it.
TradAl Green Hornet 62" RD longbow
56# @ 29
PSE Mustang 60" recurve
45# @ 30
GT Traditional 400's or self made wood arrows.

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Successful Hunt
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 01:04:00 PM »
Congrats on a successful hunt, as well as graduating to a state of mind that it takes many hunters a long time to reach. Hunting is definitely an emotional thing, taking you at times to the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. Nobody wants to ever wound an animal, but it happens. To be able to hit less than a half an inch away from a rabbits eye that you were aiming at at 25 yards to me is very impressive shooting, even if it didn't produce the quickest kill. Thanks for sharing and good luck in your future hunts.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 01:12:00 PM »
Sounds like you are on the right track. Every hunt with a trad bow is a success in my opinion, meat is a bonus.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 01:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by kadbow:
Sounds like you are on the right track. Every hunt with a trad bow is a success in my opinion, meat is a bonus.
This^^^^^

And welcome to the Gang!

Bisch

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 05:02:00 PM »
I can understand the mix of emotions that comes with taking a life, especially when you aren't fully prepared for how it comes about. You can watch all the videos you want, but it will never be the same as being there and seeing it and doing it yourself. I spent my youth harassing the cottontails on my grandfathers farm with a recurve. I think o was as surprised as the first rabbit I actually hit. I didn't know better as a kid and was using field points. The rabbit ran off with my arrow and I followed. I actually did catch up and it was hard to have to finish it off.  Things always died right away on television and I didn't understand that wasn't the reality of ending a life. But the hausenpfeffer my grandmother made from that rabbit was one of the proudest meals I ever had the pleasure of eating and I accepted my role as a predator. My second rabbit a year later slid off my arrow and was never found. I felt sick and balled mt eyes out thinking about the suffering I had caused. I think that these are tough experiences for a new hunter to go through, but ultimately good ones that teach us to do our best to respect the animal by trying to make as clean a kill as possible. I'd be more worried about someone who wasn't emotionally hit in your situation.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »
Very nice! I always use broadheads on rabbits and I've had the best luck with them. Cottontails you can get away with blunts but Jack rabbits are tough critters.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 05:51:00 PM »
very cool story. Thanks for sharing

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 06:07:00 PM »
thanks for sharing.  There's a reason why nearly all indigenous hunters apologize to the animal after killing it.  It's certainly not for the benefit of the animal.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 08:12:00 PM »
Very nice read, thank you for sharing your experience.

Steve Jr
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 09:02:00 PM »
Like you, I have also experienced all of those emotions after taking an animal and I agree and accept that it comes with having the gumption to drop the string at the right moment. You do have the gumption sir, to be a hunter, an ethical hunter.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and good luck with your future adventures too!
Member NCBA

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 09:56:00 PM »
You learned a very valuable lesson on that rabbit. Although you did everything you could and made a great shot. I'll bet you will never take a marginal shot at an animal because you know first hand what can happen.   Most of us grew up around hunters and hunting, I can imagine in your situation that it would be emotionally harder. Just remember that the meat so neatly packaged in the grocery store didn't get there in a very pretty way either.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 10:00:00 PM »
Chris,  congratulations on taking up traditional archery and then using it to harvest game for the table.  It sounds like you are on the right path.
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline Chris Iversen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 11:48:00 AM »
Thank you everyone. I am looking at this as positive. I must admit, as someone that didn't hunt, I made many misassumptions about hunting and hunters. It seems there are many people that understand the pain that comes with taking a life. My reflection has taught me a great deal of respect for animals, nature, and life, even though I thought of myself as someone who respected life before I even became interested in hunting. I was wrong in my earlier assumptions, and I truly believe I have an even greater respect for life as I start my journey as a hunter.

I appreciate and understand the ritual of indigenous hunters, after they take an animal. To me, this is a core value of the human spirit, and reflects us as part of the earth, not an exploiter of it. My reflection has helped to teach this to me as well. I take comfort in the knowledge I have gained from this experience, and look forward to learning more as I move on.

Thanks again guys!
TradAl Green Hornet 62" RD longbow
56# @ 29
PSE Mustang 60" recurve
45# @ 30
GT Traditional 400's or self made wood arrows.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 01:09:00 PM »
Not being a smart a$$, but without the emotions involved in hunting, it is not hunting. I thank my prey,say a little prayer, and bury the heart where it falls-just something I was taught when I began.To say it is an emotional roller coaster is putting it mildly. Best to you and hope you continue to walk with us on your journey.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline mikolay87

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 08:26:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing and congrats
All Lefties!!!
60” Big Jim’s Desert Bighorn 37@28
56" Toelke Lynx Recurve 50,46,54@27
60” Primal Tech Recurve 35@28
64" Toelke Lynx Longbow 38,47,51@27
64” Impala supreme 37@28

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 09:25:00 PM »
Congratulations. Stick with broadheads for Jacks. Just sayin'.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Chuck Janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »
Welcome to Trad Gang.  Congrats on your harvest.  You're emotions are natural. As you develop your skills, you will find tools to be more efficient at killing your quarry.  Rabbits are tougher than what people give credit for.  Charlie above my post is correct, use broadheads on them as long as its safe.
Life at it's Longest is Short

Offline Tatonka17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 01:37:00 PM »
Very neat story and thanks for sharing it.  It takes a lot of emotional maturity to experience the feelings you did, and also to come to terms with what you felt in taking a life.  Learn from it and don't give up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©